February 22, 200818 yr Some posters on this board seem utterly perplexed as to why some UK fans hate Duke University. I've thought about it, and this is the best explanation I can offer. I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally as a UK fan, the reason for my dislike of Duke stems from two main reasons. The first is the unbelievable amount of exposure they get, mostly from ESPN. How many times do you think ESPN has been to Cameron in the past decade? Now think about how many times they have been to whatever school is in second place. The second reason is the Laettner highlight. I would estimate that 60+% of the time that ESPN shows someone in a UK jersey, it is because of that particular highlight. Perhaps the most loved UK team in history, getting beat by one of the biggest jerks of all time (Laettner). The hatred tied to that highlight is enough for UK fans to keep re-living the emotions they felt from that game. In effect it doesn't matter if they never play again, every time that highlight gets played its like re-living the loss over and over and over again. For those of you who aren't Kentucky fans and who insist on trying to understand this, imagine the most difficult loss you've ever been forced to deal with (sports or not), then imagine if that moment were played ad nauseum on national television for the following 16 years or so. How would you feel about it?
February 22, 200818 yr Some posters on this board seem utterly perplexed as to why some UK fans hate Duke University. I've thought about it, and this is the best explanation I can offer. I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally as a UK fan, the reason for my dislike of Duke stems from two main reasons. The first is the unbelievable amount of exposure they get, mostly from ESPN. How many times do you think ESPN has been to Cameron in the past decade? Now think about how many times they have been to whatever school is in second place. The second reason is the Laettner highlight. I would estimate that 60+% of the time that ESPN shows someone in a UK jersey, it is because of that particular highlight. Perhaps the most loved UK team in history, getting beat by one of the biggest jerks of all time (Laettner). The hatred tied to that highlight is enough for UK fans to keep re-living the emotions they felt from that game. In effect it doesn't matter if they never play again, every time that highlight gets played its like re-living the loss over and over and over again. For those of you who aren't Kentucky fans and who insist on trying to understand this, imagine the most difficult loss you've ever been forced to deal with (sports or not), then imagine if that moment were played ad nauseum on national television for the following 16 years or so. How would you feel about it? That's a point I kept trying to make also. I've despised the New York Mets ever since 1986. I've been a Red Sox fan my whole life and Game 6 ripped my heart out. 2004 and 2007 helped exorcise those demons but I still can't stand the Mets and probably never will.
February 22, 200818 yr That's a point I kept trying to make also. I've despised the New York Mets ever since 1986. I've been a Red Sox fan my whole life and Game 6 ripped my heart out. 2004 and 2007 helped exorcise those demons but I still can't stand the Mets and probably never will. Just like the 98 comeback Cats helped ease the pain but we will never fully recover.
February 22, 200818 yr They show Duke so much because they want ratings. That's how they make money. If UK was the biggest draw in the country, they'd be on more - even they're on a heckuva lot right now. Since it was 16 years ago, I've chosen to move on regarding the Laettner shot. It was one of the most memorable plays in NCAA tourney history so it should be no surprise that it gets shown. Do Canes fans complain this much when they show the Flutie play?
February 22, 200818 yr Some posters on this board seem utterly perplexed as to why some UK fans hate Duke University. I've thought about it, and this is the best explanation I can offer. I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally as a UK fan, the reason for my dislike of Duke stems from two main reasons. The first is the unbelievable amount of exposure they get, mostly from ESPN. How many times do you think ESPN has been to Cameron in the past decade? Now think about how many times they have been to whatever school is in second place. The second reason is the Laettner highlight. I would estimate that 60+% of the time that ESPN shows someone in a UK jersey, it is because of that particular highlight. Perhaps the most loved UK team in history, getting beat by one of the biggest jerks of all time (Laettner). The hatred tied to that highlight is enough for UK fans to keep re-living the emotions they felt from that game. In effect it doesn't matter if they never play again, every time that highlight gets played its like re-living the loss over and over and over again. For those of you who aren't Kentucky fans and who insist on trying to understand this, imagine the most difficult loss you've ever been forced to deal with (sports or not), then imagine if that moment were played ad nauseum on national television for the following 16 years or so. How would you feel about it? I agree with you. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
February 22, 200818 yr Someone in another thread alluded to Laetnner doing something earlier in that game that made his game-winning shot much more difficult to deal with. Refresh my memory...what did he do?
February 22, 200818 yr Someone in another thread alluded to Laetnner doing something earlier in that game that made his game-winning shot much more difficult to deal with. Refresh my memory...what did he do? The stomp.
February 22, 200818 yr Author After a play, Aminu Timberlake (former UK player) ended up on the floor. Laettner stepped (read: stomped) on Timberlake's chest.
February 22, 200818 yr The stomp. To be fair it was a pretty light stomp but it was intentional and had it not been Laettner and a Regional Final he'd have probably gotten the boot. Since he ended up the game 10-10 from both the field and the line in addition to hitting the game winning shot it remains a sore spot with UK fans.
February 22, 200818 yr To be fair it was a pretty light stomp but it was intentional and had it not been Laettner and a Regional Final he'd have probably gotten the boot. Since he ended up the game 10-10 from both the field and the line in addition to hitting the game winning shot it remains a sore spot with UK fans. And Aminu.
February 22, 200818 yr To be fair it was a pretty light stomp but it was intentional and had it not been Laettner and a Regional Final he'd have probably gotten the boot. Since he ended up the game 10-10 from both the field and the line in addition to hitting the game winning shot it remains a sore spot with UK fans. Wow. I've seen "the shot" hundreds of times it seems, but this is the first time I've heard of "the stomp." Not even a technical was called?
February 22, 200818 yr Wow. I've seen "the shot" hundreds of times it seems, but this is the first time I've heard of "the stomp." Not even a technical was called? Yeah, he got T'd up but lots of times on a Technical Foul in which contact outside of a shove is made the player is ejected.
February 22, 200818 yr Author Video of "the stomp" (Warning: watching this video could result in increased hatred of Duke, Christian Laettner, Mike Krzyzewski, and the officials who called the game) (Secondary Warning: there is no reason whatsoever to watch this video past the 13 second mark) For those of you needing a pick me up after watching the above video, I offer this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPaD4Ut7gCg
February 22, 200818 yr Author Those who so desired a reason for UK fans hatred of Duke seem conspicuously absent thus far. No rebuttals?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.