10th Region Freshmen Tournament

Sounds like some schools can get away with this without any controversy amongst the parents, and the players. This has to create some bad harmony when you pull players down that don't normally play a freshmen schedule just to play in a tournament. I know this is perfectly legal to do, just the fairness has to factor in towards the kids that would normally play a freshmen schedule and a freshmen schedule only.

This issue came up in a recent thread over in the boys BB forum. There were two arguments that made some sense to me. First - if the player is a freshman; there shouldn't be a prohibition on playing in the freshman tourney even if he or she is a starter. Second, the argument was made that this is an opportunity for the "varsity freshman" to get some playing time with his or her future running mates.

However, I have to agree that hard feelings, bad chemistry, etc. could result.

Does anyone know if any of Mason County's younger players (8th grade players mainly) are going to be playin in the freshman tournament, or do you think not since they are going to Montgomery County that night? There are at least 3 8th graders that dress varsity, and get decent playing time, play JV as well, but don't play any freshman ball to my knowledge.

Does anyone know if any of Mason County's younger players (8th grade players mainly) are going to be playin in the freshman tournament, or do you think not since they are going to Montgomery County that night? There are at least 3 8th graders that dress varsity, and get decent playing time, play JV as well, but don't play any freshman ball to my knowledge.

Mason County will not be utilizing the three 8th graders that play up on the jv and varsity at the freshmen tournament tomorrow. They have not played for Coach Butlers freshmen team all season and in years past I don't believe Mason County brings down any players that have not participated with a team for the entire season just for tournament time. Mason's freshmen team to my knowledge consist of 7th and 8th graders.

Mason County will not be utilizing the three 8th graders that play up on the jv and varsity at the freshmen tournament tomorrow. They have not played for Coach Butlers freshmen team all season and in years past I don't believe Mason County brings down any players that have not participated with a team for the entire season just for tournament time. Mason's freshmen team to my knowledge consist of 7th and 8th graders.

Yeah, I don't believe there are many, if any, freshman on their team. Mason is one of the teams that brings the younger players up early, so they don't have many true freshman playing freshman ball.

Yeah, I don't believe there are many, if any, freshman on their team. Mason is one of the teams that brings the younger players up early, so they don't have many true freshman playing freshman ball.

If memory serves me right, I thought the Mason coaches told me 1 freshmen on the freshmen team.

Good question, considering they play Montgomery Co. that evening. If Mason County advances in the tournament to play on Sunday, will they bring the girls down then? I know they haven't played for coach Butler this season, but I heard earlier in the season there was a comment made by a player (and I don't know if she serious or if there was any truth to the comment) that Mason Co. was bringing some of the girls "down" to play a freshman game. Since the game was never scheduled, there is no way to know if this was true but the fact that there was talk of bringing them down for that game makes me wonder if they would bring them down to play on Sunday?

I can see where there would be issues with girls and parents at any school that brought girls down from JV and varsity who hadn't played on the freshmen team all season.

BTW, does anyone have records for the freshmen teams who are playing in the touramnet?

Good question, considering they play Montgomery Co. that evening. If Mason County advances in the tournament to play on Sunday, will they bring the girls down then? I know they haven't played for coach Butler this season, but I heard earlier in the season there was a comment made by a player (and I don't know if she serious or if there was any truth to the comment) that Mason Co. was bringing some of the girls "down" to play a freshman game. Since the game was never scheduled, there is no way to know if this was true but the fact that there was talk of bringing them down for that game makes me wonder if they would bring them down to play on Sunday?

I can see where there would be issues with girls and parents at any school that brought girls down from JV and varsity who hadn't played on the freshmen team all season.

BTW, does anyone have records for the freshmen teams who are playing in the touramnet?

I can tell you right now that the team that has played for Coach Butler all season long will be the team that he has with him on Saturday or Sunday. I can say this from past experiences. I had a daughter that played for Coach Butler and this topic was asked at the beginning of that season and he said absolutely not. What he starts with is what he finishes with unless there are numerous injuries or so on.

imo, if you believe talk from a kid then it would make me believe that you would believe anything and that might get anyone in trouble.

Who's favored in this tournament? What schools have the best freshman teams?

St. Patrick's freshman team is undefeated but will be missing there leading scorer in Brooke Mosler (broken hand). The Saints will still field a pretty good team and will be a tough opponent for anyone in it.

imo, if you believe talk from a kid then it would make me believe that you would believe anything and that might get anyone in trouble.

See, that's just it.......I wasn't believing talk from a kid. That's why I posed the question here, to see if what I heard had any validity. BTW, you make sound like anything a kid says is a lie, just because a kid says it.

And as far as getting someone in trouble....I don't know what that is about???? There is no rule that says you can't bring players that have played up and play them in the freshmen tournament, at least that was what other posters have said earlier in this thread, but then again the previous posters could all be kids, and if they are kids, they must be lying, too.

Deming beat won two games beating Bracken and Bourbon to play in the semis Sunday at 1:30.

Brossart beat Clark who had slipped past Campbell to earn that semis matchup versus Deming.

St. Patrick held on by a single point in overtime to beat Pendleton.

Montgomery beat Nicholas but then was demolished by Mason.

St. Patrick and Mason will load the bus and travel to Falmouth to play the other semis game at 2:45.

Championship game at 4:00.