Any Suggestion?

The head coach turns to the assistant and asked the question: Any Suggestions on what to do? This question I have heard numerous times over the past games I have been to. How do you win a basketball game? I will start this by saying I have never coached girls basketball but have coached another girls sport.

Here is just one scenario: The game has just begun, your team is down 14-11 in the 1st quarter, your guard has 6 of the 11 points, hot from the 3pt line. She is pulled and sat on the bench. Another starter makes a bad pass, she is pulled and put on the bench, so now lets say 3 of your 5 starters are now sitting, not really in any type of foul trouble and suddenly by the end of the the 2nd quarter your team is now down 25-11. The flow of your players is not there, they do not play well together, it is a group of 5 playing individually and at half time you are out of the game.

Can someone explain to me, why you wouldn’t leave your starters in and play through when the game is still within reach? Why pull a player who is on a hot streak from the 3pt line? Why let the substitutions continue? It would be different if the depth of your bench was strong. You have a starting five for a reason? Is it that your starters are 3 seniors and 2 juniors and you feel the need to build your younger players?

I will say that this pattern of “subs” happens whether the team is winning or losing. Leads of 10-20 have been blown with this type of coaching and the coach seems to be at a loss of what to do to make this work. It is my turn to ask “Any suggestions?” I would not ask if this was a one time thing, but this has been the pattern all season long.

The head coach turns to the assistant and asked the question: Any Suggestions on what to do? This question I have heard numerous times over the past games I have been to. How do you win a basketball game? I will start this by saying I have never coached girls basketball but have coached another girls sport.

Here is just one scenario: The game has just begun, your team is down 14-11 in the 1st quarter, your guard has 6 of the 11 points, hot from the 3pt line. She is pulled and sat on the bench. Another starter makes a bad pass, she is pulled and put on the bench, so now lets say 3 of your 5 starters are now sitting, not really in any type of foul trouble and suddenly by the end of the the 2nd quarter your team is now down 25-11. The flow of your players is not there, they do not play well together, it is a group of 5 playing individually and at half time you are out of the game.

Can someone explain to me, why you wouldn’t leave your starters in and play through when the game is still within reach? Why pull a player who is on a hot streak from the 3pt line? Why let the substitutions continue? It would be different if the depth of your bench was strong. You have a starting five for a reason? Is it that your starters are 3 seniors and 2 juniors and you feel the need to build your younger players?

I will say that this pattern of “subs” happens whether the team is winning or losing. Leads of 10-20 have been blown with this type of coaching and the coach seems to be at a loss of what to do to make this work. It is my turn to ask “Any suggestions?” I would not ask if this was a one time thing, but this has been the pattern all season long.

Boy, I sure wish I had some suggestions for you. But, I have seen it happen recently with the team that I cheer for, on more than one occassion. It is very frustrating to watch on the sidelines as a fan. You really want to support the team and the coach, and then when you see almost all of the starters being pulled, so that the JV team can be put in, you have to shake your head and wonder what the heck is going on.

I think most head coaches look for suggestions from their assistants. The head coach has to make the final decision on who plays and what to do on the court.

Some head coaches allow an assistant to be in charge of substitutions. There is a great deal of trust involved in these situations.

I believe you can lose a game in the first half if you don't know what you are doing coaching a team. You can't usually win one in the first half however.