Eastern TN All Stars 23 Eastern KY All Stars 13 (Border Bowl)

Deuce41

Kentucky jumped out to a 10-3 lead at the half but Tennessee came back and scored 20 points in the second half to with the game. Both teams played well and it was a great game.

The Bowl committee did a great job putting together the game. There was a great crowd and the smaller stadium made it more fun to watch instead of being a too big stadium. The weather was perfect for January. All the folks that did all the work had to be proud of the result as everything could not have turned out better.

Tennessee Takes Inaugural Border Bowl Championship

January 12, 2008

Williamsburg, KY -- The University of the Cumberlands welcomed the 1st Inaugural Border Football Game to their field Saturday as the Eastern Kentucky All-Star team and the Eastern Tennessee All-Star team went head to head. With an estimated 5,000 fans, Tennessee took the spotlight, along with the trophy, in the end with a final score of 23-13.

...the rest can be seen at

http://www.volunteertv.com/sports/headlines/13738962.html

Kentucky jumped out to a 10-3 lead at the half but Tennessee came back and scored 20 points in the second half to with the game. Both teams played well and it was a great game.

The Bowl committee did a great job putting together the game. There was a great crowd and the smaller stadium made it more fun to watch instead of being a too big stadium. The weather was perfect for January. All the folks that did all the work had to be proud of the result as everything could not have turned out better.

What bigger stadium has this game been played at? And don't tell me UK, UofL, or Knoxville.

:laugh:Touchy touchy, just come out and say it, and lets get the discussion going.:thumb:

This, and the other thread on it, are very misleading.

This game is NOT the replacement for the KY/TN Allstar game. This is a local/regional game.

Was great game, and great football atmoshpere. Cant wait until next year, the people who put this on for the 1st time should be proud. I can only see this getting better.

It was a first class event for a small town and rural area, but would have been considered that anywhere.

This game is NOT the replacement for the KY/TN Allstar game. This is a local/regional game.

This is not the replacement for the KY/TN game, it is a All-Star game and Congratulations for the teams, and the players.

But, I have some questions and comments, mainly from the article that is linked above.

With over 400 applications from all over Kentucky and Tennessee, a committee was selected to hand pick the best of the best from both states

This article is misleading. this game is supposed to be a "Eastern" Kentucky versus "Eastern" Tennessee game, but the article says that the best of the best from both states. Which is it?

It has also been said that the reason that players were chosen for this team from outside "Eastern Kentucky" was there was not enough players nominated by their coaches. But, there was 400 applications from both states. I just can't wrap my mind around there not being enough names submitted from coaches in Eastern Kentucky, but for some reason coaches in Lexington and Northern Kentucky decided to submit names for this "Eastern Kentucky" game. I wonder if coaches in Fort Thomas submit names for the Louisville All-Star game.

Tennessee has started a East/West game to replace the Kentucky/Tennessee game, it was played in December. Kentucky has replace the Kentucky/Tennessee game with an East/West game as well. Having the Border Bowl is great, I am glad there are more All-Star game so more players can be seen by college coaches, but I just feel that this game has been deceiving.

No its not. But the KY/TN Allstar game would have been better at smaller venue as well. The crowds were not that big and all of those empty seats just took away from the atmosphere. I think that is all that was being said.

Its a good thing that people have gotten together and organized games like this. Whether it is a replacement for the bigger game or not.

Who said it was a replacement? It was a great game,great atmosphere. I have been to the KY/TN allstar game and it was maybe better players but the smaller stadium did add alot to the game. The guys who put the bowl on did an outstanding job.:thumb:

I don't know how I was misleading I even titled the thread with Eastern KY and Eastern TN>

I never said it was a replacement but I think that it is better for the kids. The players (at least from KY) had an opportunity to show that they can play. This type of game is great in that being in a small stadium it allowed for the kids to feed off of the crowds energy. In many respects I think it is better than a state wide game played in a barn (Commonwealth or that barn in Knoxville).

The group that put it on worked hard and provided the kids of Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Tenneesee a great venue to play. Kids from Northern Ky had the chance but many KY coaches turned it down (there was one kid from Highlands) thinking it would not fly, well brother I am here to tell you it not only flew but exceeded the expections of most everyone. I talked to at least 7 coaches from mid-level schools and I know that most every school in the Mid-South was there getting to watch and evaluate kids. If ONE kid get some school paid for then it was all worth it, and I bet many more that one will be looked at now. The old all star game, most of the kids had already signed and was just for bragging rights, this provided a service to the kids, again it was better for the kids.

If the STATE WIDE All-Star game had that kind of atmosphere it might still be around but it didn't.

The Coaches from Kentucky, did a great job and should be applauded for their efforts. After watching this game I am happily waving goodbye to the old all star game.

No its not. But the KY/TN Allstar game would have been better at smaller venue as well. The crowds were not that big and all of those empty seats just took away from the atmosphere. I think that is all that was being said.

Its a good thing that people have gotten together and organized games like this. Whether it is a replacement for the bigger game or not.

Exactly

I don't know how I was misleading I even titled the thread with Eastern KY and Eastern TN>

No you didn't title it that way, I had to edit it, you had it titled without the Eastern in front of KY and TN.

Here is how you had it titled:

Border Bowl---TN All Stars 23 KY All Stars 13

Who said it was a replacement? It was a great game,great atmosphere. I have been to the KY/TN allstar game and it was maybe better players but the smaller stadium did add alot to the game. The guys who put the bowl on did an outstanding job.:thumb:

You need to take the time to read the other thread.