Highlands 66 Lakota East 50

DMZ76

Woo-Hoo!! We've now beat 2 Ohio teams this year! (1-FB, 1-BB). Slick Nic Simpson leads the way pouring in 26 pts. and being a perfect 8-8 from the line. Special K Kowolonek chips in with double figures for the second night in a row with 14 pts. Quick Draw McGraw only had 3...did Willie rest him? Zach Lother and Ben Watson also showing up in the scoring column with 2 & 8 respectively. Another Eaton in the boxscore with a "dirty" 9 pts. Those Eaton kids are scrappers and do all the necessary things it takes to win (play defense, take charges, box out, get stick backs!) Nice to also see Zach "da' man" Hurtt get his first bucket of the season...is Simons playing this year? Good Win Birds...3 in a row!

The Birds play excellent defense and now have 3 scoring threats on the floor which is a lot different than having only 1 (Simpson) like last season. Simons is not playing I hear and Stein is out till late January with wrist injury.

Ben Watson fills in nicely at the 5 spot and he plays sound defense. Eaton does all the intangibles, takes charges, scraps for balls, is a tough hard nosed kid. Hurtt is the same way, he has 5 fouls and is usually brought into the game to use em up. He dogs defenders out front, gets in their heads and that is something every team needs. Kowolonek looked very good off the dribble and can sky when needed. There was a ball that came off the rim at one point, he was out at the 3 pt line and took off running, leaped and was sitting on 3 guys shoulders, clutching the ball and came down on his back. Watson picked up the loose ball that seemed destined for Lakota and stuck it in. He is a gamer, no doubt. McGraw was off last night, had several nice looks from 3 land but his shot was a little short. He is a very nice player though and compliments Simpson well.

Simpson was gliding all night long. His hangtime ability is so awesome. He drained a couple 3's as well that hit nothing but the bottom of the net.

Attendance at the game was abysmal. No cheerleaders, buddy gave me free tickets and couldnt give the other 5 away at the door it was so sparse. I am guessing no game before and weather were factors but jeez. I believe they asked all 30 people in the stands to please turn their cell phones off before tipoff. If you even made any comments from the stands they could be heard on the floor. That will definitely shut up the armchair coaches. : )

My guess is that this will be the last year for this event.

Unless a major upgrade of the schedule is made, I'd say that's a good guess, as attendance was embarrasing. But that's another thread.

As for this game, I can understand Bluebirds fans' enthusiasm after the rough sledding last year. And Highlands has some nice players, but a 16 point win over a bad Ohio team is just that. A win over a bad Ohio team.

My guess is that this will be the last year for this event.
The new facility will be available next year and will spark some interest in the event.

$10 at the door is just too much for kids (and casual fans) to pay for a high school basketball game.

CovCath's own fans and students didn't turn out.

Bad day at the turnstile all the way around.

Unless a major upgrade of the schedule is made, I'd say that's a good guess, as attendance was embarrasing. But that's another thread.

As for this game, I can understand Bluebirds fans' enthusiasm after the rough sledding last year. And Highlands has some nice players, but a 16 point win over a bad Ohio team is just that. A win over a bad Ohio team.

Lakota was not a very good team and mainly because they had no Point Guard period. I thought they had a couple nice young sophomores who both went about 6'4 and played very well. The Birds if they wanted to could have thumped them by 30+ but Willie did the right thing and got guys in the game midway through the 3rd period.

Execution by Highlands was very good whether you are playing a bad Lakota team or scrimmaging yourself. You cant ask for anything else. At this juncture, I would say that they can beat Cov Cath on any given night. Will they? That is the question.

Lakota was not a very good team and mainly because they had no Point Guard period. I thought they had a couple nice young sophomores who both went about 6'4 and played very well. The Birds if they wanted to could have thumped them by 30+ but Willie did the right thing and got guys in the game midway through the 3rd period.

Execution by Highlands was very good whether you are playing a bad Lakota team or scrimmaging yourself. You cant ask for anything else. At this juncture, I would say that they can beat Cov Cath on any given night. Will they? That is the question.

I agree with all of the above. If you were happy with the Birds execution, then you are correct that's all that matters.

I may have misunderstood your post(s), and assumed you thought because Lakota East is a big Ohio school, they are automatically a good team.

I have no arguement with anything you said about this one though. :thumb:

I agree with all of the above. If you were happy with the Birds execution, then you are correct that's all that matters.

I may have misunderstood your post(s), and assumed you thought because Lakota East is a big Ohio school, they are automatically a good team.

Thanks, Im not doubting your knowledge of OH basketball either. I think it was obvious Lakota East was surprisingly bad the other night for how large they are. Oak Hills as well didnt impress me for their size. The privates are the ones in Cincy that will always excel. Princeton though is a pretty big surprise this season.

Thanks, Im not doubting your knowledge of OH basketball either. I think it was obvious Lakota East was surprisingly bad the other night for how large they are. Oak Hills as well didnt impress me for their size. The privates are the ones in Cincy that will always excel. Princeton though is a pretty big surprise this season.

I

I got more

I got more out of l

I got more out of last

I got more out of last year's