Belfry @ Somerset (3A)

The sarge

Who wins Friday?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins Friday?

Guest kybigguy42

I haven't seen Somerset play and I understand they have some excellent weapons on offense. However I have seen Belfry three times and they might have the best high school defense I have ever seen. They are the real deal. They fly to the football and tackle. They usually only rush 3 against the pass (with an occasional blitz package) and as a consequence they outnumber your receivers in coverage. They can flat out play. I really don't see anyone beating the Pirates this season. The trip to Somerset will be tiring, however. I still pick the Pirates.

Belfry 34

Somerset 21

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think Somerset will put up 44 points on a defense that ahs:

-Shutout Corbin (held them to negative rushing yards and less than 175 total yards)

-Dominated Pikeville (Belfry's starters were pulled and the Panthers had less than 20 rushing yards and less than 50 total yards)

-Shut down Johnson Central (allowed twelve points, held Shawn Grimm to under 10 rushing yards and the Eagles to less than 30 rushing yards. All the points and yardage came once Belfry's top DB left the game)

Keep in mind that NO team has scored more than 2 TD's all seaosn on the Pirate starting defense. I think Somerset will score on Belfry and move the ball, but no way do the Jumpers put up 30+

No chance that Somerset scores 44 on Belfry. Belfry will score a lot and Somerset will score some..............but Belfry wins going away.

Belfry 48 - Somerset 14

Gotta go with my boy(s).

SHS 42

Belfry 38

Ask Corbin what that Angry Red D is like. Somerset is good but there is no way they score 42 points on Belfry.

They may score 21(a big maybe) and that's only because they are the home team. Don't overlook this team from Eastern Kentucky, Belfry is the real deal. They proved it when they dominated 5A Johnson Central and when they beat Corbin 21-0 and they will prove it again come Friday night in Somerset.

Belfry puts up 48 points if not more.:thumb:

Ask Corbin what that Angry Red D is like. Somerset is good but there is no way they score 42 points on Belfry.

They may score 21(a big maybe) and that's only because they are the home team. Don't overlook this team from Eastern Kentucky, Belfry is the real deal. They proved it when they dominated 5A Johnson Central and when they beat Corbin 21-0 and they will prove it again come Friday night in Somerset.

Belfry puts up 48 points if not more.:thumb:

I don't think anyone in the State let alone Somerset is over looking Belfry. They are without a doubt the best team in 3A, I just feel Somersets best chance is to get into a shoot out with them. Belfry proved with games you mentioned that they are more than capable of shutting good teams down.

What kind of parent and fan would I be if I didn't think we had a chance? Belfry is probably a 25-30 point favorite (Statmanhensley ratings) but this little ol' school over here in Somerset will show up anyway and play our butts off. I really hope Belfry is thinking a lot about Breathitt this week and not even worring about us.

I don't think anyone in the State let alone Somerset is over looking Belfry. They are without a doubt the best team in 3A, I just feel Somersets best chance is to get into a shoot out with them. Belfry proved with games you mentioned that they are more than capable of shutting good teams down.

What kind of parent and fan would I be if I didn't think we had a chance? Belfry is probably a 25-30 point favorite (Statmanhensley ratings) but this little ol' school over here in Somerset will show up anyway and play our butts off. I really hope Belfry is thinking a lot about Breathitt this week and not even worring about us.

I agree, a shootout is the game Somerset wants to play. Belfry wants to play a ball control game. It may sound cliche but with the offenses each of these teams have, I think the team that plays the best defense will win. And that could very well be Somerset come Friday night.

I don't think Belfry is a 30 point favorite. They haven't faced a so-called throwing team like Somerset yet and nobody really knows how they will perform.

I know Belfry won't overlook any opponent, let alone a regional championship game opponent. But, I think one overlooked aspect of this Jumper team may be their running game. Nobody seems to be talking about the RB with over 1400 yards or the fact that Somerset has over 2100 rushing yards on the season to go along with over 3000 passing yards. More balanced than most people would think.

I agree, a shootout is the game Somerset wants to play. Belfry wants to play a ball control game. It may sound cliche but with the offenses each of these teams have, I think the team that plays the best defense will win. And that could very well be Somerset come Friday night.

I don't think Belfry is a 30 point favorite. They haven't faced a so-called throwing team like Somerset yet and nobody really knows how they will perform.

I know Belfry won't overlook any opponent, let alone a regional championship game opponent. But, I think one overlooked aspect of this Jumper team may be their running game. Nobody seems to be talking about the RB with over 1400 yards or the fact that Somerset has over 2100 rushing yards on the season to go along with over 3000 passing yards. More balanced than most people would think.

:sssh:

Quite possibly the key players to Belfry's success this week will be Phillip Hickman, Randy Webb, and Corey Coleman. Those are Belfry's three interior D-Lineman.

Hickman and Coleman absolutely ate up the SC quarterback(s) last week with their pressure, and in turn not only recorded alot of sacks, but also created about 8 passes that should have been intercepted.

If Somerset is able to give their WR's time to get open, and can effectively get 4-5 yards a carry running the ball, then their chances greatly improve in this game. Additionally, the key own in this game will be 3rd down for both teams. If Somerset can continually convert 3rd Downs, it will alow them to control the pace of the game. Conversely, if Somerset allows Belfry to continually face 3rd and Short, the Pirates will in turn be in contorl and able to dictate the tempo.

Special teams also will play a huge role in this game I feel, but we will save that discussion for later.

Belfry is undefeated and 6-0 against teams with winning records. Somerset is 1-3 this season against teams with winning records. Belfry shutout a Corbin team 21-0 and the 'Jumpers gave up 56 points to the 'Hounds in a losing effort.

If Somerset beats the Pirates it will be the biggest upset of the playoffs and maybe the biggest upset of the season.

If Belfry can double Cole and contain the rest there is no way Somerset can win, however, If Cole gets rolling and they can get him the ball deep a time or two or he breaks a screen or two this will loosen up the big red D and give Hughes an opportunity to get it in chunks. If so this could be one of the best games Friday.

I know this will shock you Jumpers, but personally I'd like to see ya knock em off.

Statistics:

SOMERSET (9-3)

5-2 at home this year (lost to Pulaski County and Corbin)

BELFRY (12-0)

5-0 on the road this season

Common Opponent: CORBIN

Corbin @ Belfry ( Belfry W 21-0) Week 1

Corbin @ Somerset (Somerset L 47-56 )Week 10

Record vs. Playoff teams still alive

Belfry: 3-0 ( W vs. 5A Johnson Central, vs.1A Pikeville, vs. 2A Corbin)

Somerset: 0-2 (L @ Metcalfe County, vs. Corbin)

Opponents combined record:

Belfry: 60-54

Somerset: 61-51

SOMERSET

12 games total

559 points scored (46.6 per game)

227 Points allowed (18.9 per game)

11 games total

2137 rushing yards (194.3 per game)

3011 passing yards (273.7 per game)

2154 rushing yards allowed (195.8 per game)

1165 passing yards allowed (105.9 per game)

Total Offense: 468.0 per game

Total Defense: 301.7 per game

Passing:

Chase Hall- 134-237, 2698 yards, 35 TD, 12 INT

Rushing:

Kenny Hughes- 145 carries, 1412 yards, 20 TD

Receiving:

John Cole- 71 receptions, 1467 yards, 22 TD

John Coomer- 34 rec. , 788 yards , 9 TD

BELFRY

12 games

510 points scored (42.5 per game)

126 points allowed (10.5 per game)

11 games

3450 rushing yards (313.6 per game)

494 passing yards (44.9 per game)

1011 rushing yards allowed (91.9 per game)

682 passing yards allowed (62.0 per game)

Total Offense: 358.5 yards per game

Total Defense: 153.9 yards per game

Passing:

Andrew Elkins- 35/70, 494 yards, 5 TD, 1 INT

Rushing:

Dustin May- 118 carries, 1129 yards , 19 TD

Ivan Lee- 80 carries, 1008 yards, 13 TD

That's wishful thinking......but Haywood hasn't garnered 2 State Crowns by looking past his current opponent...so you can forget that.

A "shootout" is highly doubtful.

Somerset is in a pretty good spot. At home....no traveling....and in all probablity....flown somewhat off the radar considering Russell, Breathitt and Belfry have cornered the conversation market.

But believe me....They're on Belfry's radar.