Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Belfry @ Somerset (3A)

Who wins Friday? 181 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins Friday?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Any thoughts on this game? I don't know much about Belfry.

  • Replies 144
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be a run (Belfry) vs pass (Somerset) shootout. I'm just glad we are not having to travel this week.

Belfry has a good offense and the best line that Somerset will probably have played this year.

The thing is though the story of the game is the Somerset offense vs the Belfry defense. This is the best defense I have seen in a long time, they can really get after you in the backfield and dont miss a lot of tackles, it will be fun.

Belfry is running on all cylinders right now. Thats not a good thing for Somerset.

 

Belfry 28

Somerset 7

Belfry is running on all cylinders right now. Thats not a good thing for Somerset.

 

Belfry 28

Somerset 7

 

Belfry will score on every possession unless something has changed about Somersets Run D since the Corbin game. I'm going with Belfry 42 Somerset 14.

I will go out on a limb and say that Belfry will have over 350 rushing yards.

 

Dustin May could have that many himself if he plays 3 quarters. He is a stud, period.

Somerset matches up with Belfry pretty well considering their style of offense. I honestly don't think any team in Kentucky Class 4A or below could beat Belfry by running right at them, the Pirate run defense is simply outstanding. BUT, if there has been any weakness this year, it would have to be the Pirate's secondary. Belfry statistically has been excellent defending the pass, they break up alot of passes and their front seven typically causes alot of pressure, but they ahve given up several long gains this year and have missed some critical assignments. Ian Welch had a great game against Belfry, as did Madon for Corbin. Both receivers are excellent, but John Cole is on another level.

 

The biggest question mark for Belfry will be whether Haywood plays Elkins at CB Friday, or he saves him for offense only. Elkins has proven to not only be Belfry's best cover corner, but one of the better CB's in East Kentucky. In the win over JC Elkins was injured on JC's first posession of the 4th Quarter with belfry holding a 28-0 lead, after that point JC seemed to find their groove (prior to that I think JC had only completed 2 of 15 passes). The Hughes kid from Somerset also bring another dynamic as he is a big, physical kid who runs downfield instead of side to side. The Pirate defense has shut down some excellent running games, Corbin, Pikeville, Johnson central, and Sheldon Clark ( with Dials), but the only back to go over 100 yards rushing this year was Dials of SC who is a similar type of back as Hughes.

 

If you notice, Somerset has been torched defensively twice this season. But on careful review the two teams who hurt the Jumeprs were Pulaski County and Somerset, both very balanced offenses with the ability to spread the field. Somerset ahs yet to play a "Power" team, so it is unfair at this point to assume Belfry will run all over them.

 

I won't predict this game's outcome just yet, but I will say that Somerset does not beat Belfry unless the Pirates shoot themselves in the foot.

Gotta go with my boy(s).

SHS 42

Belfry 38

I have to go with Belfry 46-44 over Somerset, but I'm hoping that Somerset will pull it out.

I have to go with Belfry 46-44 over Somerset, but I'm hoping that Somerset will pull it out.

 

Do you really think Somerset will put up 44 points on a defense that ahs:

-Shutout Corbin (held them to negative rushing yards and less than 175 total yards)

 

-Dominated Pikeville (Belfry's starters were pulled and the Panthers had less than 20 rushing yards and less than 50 total yards)

 

-Shut down Johnson Central (allowed twelve points, held Shawn Grimm to under 10 rushing yards and the Eagles to less than 30 rushing yards. All the points and yardage came once Belfry's top DB left the game)

 

Keep in mind that NO team has scored more than 2 TD's all seaosn on the Pirate starting defense. I think Somerset will score on Belfry and move the ball, but no way do the Jumpers put up 30+

Do you really think Somerset will put up 44 points on a defense that ahs:

-Shutout Corbin (held them to negative rushing yards and less than 175 total yards)

 

-Dominated Pikeville (Belfry's starters were pulled and the Panthers had less than 20 rushing yards and less than 50 total yards)

 

-Shut down Johnson Central (allowed twelve points, held Shawn Grimm to under 10 rushing yards and the Eagles to less than 30 rushing yards. All the points and yardage came once Belfry's top DB left the game)

 

Keep in mind that NO team has scored more than 2 TD's all seaosn on the Pirate starting defense. I think Somerset will score on Belfry and move the ball, but no way do the Jumpers put up 30+

 

I think that is the game plan for Belfry to use, focus on shutting down the Briar Jumper running game. Just like these other teams that is all we have :rolleyes:

Belfry 32

Somerset 20

 

JMO!

No way will they score 40+ on our defense...:fight::fight:

I think that is the game plan for Belfry to use, focus on shutting down the Briar Jumper running game. Just like these other teams that is all we have :rolleyes:

 

...only if Somerset's gameplan is to try to win a shootout... :rolleyes:

 

I just can't see Belfry being in a "shoot-out" with anyone... I can't see any 3A team scoring over 30 on a very good Pirate defense, and I also can't see Belfry scoring 40+ with their time consuming approach to offense.

 

The teams I listed all have great running games, but they also all ahev rgeat offenses in general. The bottom line is that the Pirates shut all 4 of them down.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.