Kentucky 99 Pikeville 64

Sportz Addict

We must have watched a different game. I heard that horn sounding every 2 minutes and it was almost always someone coming out who just made a mistake (not boxing out a FT, not coming out hard on the wing, not guarding the 3).

Billy G. sent a message with his subs. Play hard and don't make mistakes our bring your rear end to the pine.

He definitely didn't hesitate to pull them, but most of them were warranted. His trigger wasn't quite as quick as Tubby's for certain things, and when he pulled somebody he lit a fire under them instead of just let them sit ignored on the bench. Every time he took a player out he talked to them, and Tubby just gave them the stare.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He definitely didn't hesitate to pull them, but most of them were warranted. His trigger wasn't quite as quick as Tubby's for certain things, and when he pulled somebody he lit a fire under them instead of just let them sit ignored on the bench. Every time he took a player out he talked to them, and Tubby just gave them the stare.

He also did not pull a whole five out who were playing well.

I think this season will show a lot of OTS's flaws.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=298382

UK opens Gillispie era with exhibition rout

"I wasn't nervous, but I was anxious about the game," Gillispie said.

"It's overwhelming," Patterson said. "You've got thousands of fans screaming your name."

Patterson certainly caught the attention of Pikeville coach Kelly Wells.

"He's as good as advertised," Wells said. "... It's hard to do anything with him."

Gillispie said there was no game plan to let Meeks take the shots. He just happened to be open, time and again.

"The open man takes the open shot here," Gillispie said. "If that's what it's going to be like, we're going to shoot them. We're not going to shoot them without a purpose."

"It doesn't mean anything," Meeks said of his impressive shooting performance. "We just have to get to work."

"It feels like we're coming together," Crawford said. "Seems like it's going to be a fun year."

Gillispie, who said he still hadn't settled on his starting lineup Tuesday night, furiously mixed and matched throughout the game, using 12 players and a variety of combinations.

Gillispie said he was pleased with the effort in the opener but promised his team would be better prepared next time.

"We have a million obstacles, but because of their efforts, because of their attitude, we'll accomplish a lot of them," he said.

Tubby took people out for missing shots. G, takes them out for making bone head plays... he also gets them back in... Tubby left them on the bench 5-10 mins.

I've been a UK fan for 30 years, but seeing how some of the UK fans act has made me decide to stop cheering for big blue and start cheering for a real team like Duke.

J/K SA!!! :ylsuper:

Gillispie teams are about as efficient as it gets on offense. While it won't be a lot of run and gun, they will score on most trips. The post is a major problem, and doesn't have much help on tap in 08 so far...

Dead on, and it is why UK will lose 12 games this season IMO.

Just a note..............Tubby Smith is in Minnesota, imo to continue to mention him on this season's U.K. threads is "dead horse award' nominee:p and a lock to win it. Only exception would be if U.K. would meet Minnesota sometime but to each his own :lol:.

Tubby bashing continues when he is gone.......................Classic!! :lol::lol::lol:

I just got back from the game and it was alot of fun! I play pickup games in the summer with alot of those guys from Pikeville so it was good to see them out there against the Cats. Pikeville is a very athletic NAIA team and will be in the mix with Georgetown for the Mid-South crown. It looks like Billy G is planning on going 8 or 9 deep, which is a good thing. Tubby tried to play everyone on the team and would do 5 in 5 out substitutions, even when a particular player had found his rhythm. Meeks was HOT tonight, so he left him in the game so he could keep that rhythm going. It appears that he is going to use his 7,8, or 9 players and get all of them in the flow of the game, which is the way the game was meant to be played. It was very refreshing to see a UK team run an actual offense, and to even run an INBOUNDS play under the goal. Yes, an inbounds play. Patterson is going to be something special. Bradley having 9 assists is a huge plus, but those 5 turnovers are still too high. Crawford look good in his limited role. I'm not sure what to think of him not playing more. Ramon Harris is garbage, end of story. This guy is not good and I didn't see any of that improvement that was raved about during the summer months. Coury is going to be a fan favorite. He does alot of the small things. Stevenson fouling out is something we will have to get used to this season. He HAS to play, simply because there are no other quality big men on the team. Legion and Stewart seemed nervous. Porter should have stuck to football. This is a top 25 team that may make a good run in the NCAA tournament this year. Also, I'm going to say that in 2 years, UK will have a special team. Thats all I've got! :thumb:

Idk about that, I mean I think he pulled the trigger a lot quicker, and on a lot more players than Tubby ever did...However the big difference as you said he only kept them out for like a minute, and didn't make them sit for a long period of time like Tubby did...

However people you all do need to realize that this was an exhibition game, so not quite fair to compare all the things Billy G did tonight to what Tubby did. Because I bet we will see a somewhat different approach in the games that really matter.

I be honest I still trying to see where some people think Coury is going to be a good one. I mean I love his hustle, but I mean if people were going to get on Bobby Perry for his play at PF, then I don't see how people will like what he brings. I mean he is not the tallest guy, can't jump, and is slow. He is not going to create his own shot on offense, and will have a hard time finishing anything with bigger people on him. If we have to rely on him for much in the post this year, we are in trouble...

By the way I do hope I end up being dead wrong about him, and he ends up being a very big contributor to this team this year and years to come...

William "Bo" Harris, during the Basketball Blast-off here at PC the announcers were saying William. I guess he has decided to go by William during basketball.

Yeah he is William "Bo" Harris this year. You got to love to watch the kid play, he talks more than anybody I ever seen on the court, he just has fun with the game.

He was more reserved tonight though. Pikeville has a lot of talent that could play at D1 level if not for grades, they are one of the Mid South favs.

Kentucky played hard and aggresive, you do that and good things will happen.