Belfry 49 Pikeville 7

The Windex Man

This Belfry team is something else. Each week, IMO, they continue to clearly assert theirselves as the #1 team in Class 3A. The running game has continued to improve week to week and the defense is flat out tenacious. Great win by the Pirates tonight, I definately didnt see this spread coming. Good luck to the Panthers on the rest of your season.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a horribly disappointing effort by the Panthers tonight. I know they are a better team than what they showed (not to take anything away from Belfry, they are probably the best team in 3A this year), this game should have been closer.

You cannot win football games without controlling the line of scrimmage. The Panthers linemen on either side of the ball were obviously not up to the task tonight. Back to the drawing board.

Congradulations Pirates!!

They had this game won from the minute it started :scared: WOW What a team to watch. Its just week after week after week. I know we have played "some" weak teams but...not all of them were. Freshman have been in every varsity game this year!!! Belfrys starting D has still not been scored on!

Keep it up Pirates :thumb:

Congrats on the win tonight... :thumb:

I think Belfry has reached what I like to call "critical mass". The 2 State Titles have now made BHS a magnet for football talent in that entire area. This is no different from what has happened to make teams like Highlands, Bell Co., Male, Beechwood, and LexCath (most recently) into perennial football powerhouses.

Pond Creek truly has a good thing going !! :ylsuper:

I'm going to make it a point to catch the Belfry/Johnson Central game...

This Belfry bunch is special. I thought Corbin was overrated after their game but it is beginning to look like Belfry is just that good.

Yes Belfry is very good but I can assure you that the Redhounds would like another shot at them and that Corbin is able to hold their own against the Pirates. Scores can be deceptive and against Corbin was the only game that the varsity Belfry defense was unable to rest.

Congratulations on a very nice win!

Yes Belfry is very good but I can assure you that the Redhounds would like another shot at them and that Corbin is able to hold their own against the Pirates. Scores can be deceptive and against Corbin was the only game that the varsity Belfry defense was unable to rest.

Congratulations on a very nice win!

I kn ow you guys are going on missed opportunities, but Belfry had several that game as well, just as easy as it could have been 21-14 it could have been 42-0.

Belfry has really came a long way offensivley since then, they add new wrinkles each game.

The shutout streak for the varsity defense continues, I will say this if you beat Belfry it will be done by the air, because I dont see teams running on Belfry, however I havent watched JC yet.

This Belfry team has the potential to be really, really, special. Aside from May, you aren't going to see an "All-Star" calibur player on this team, there are no guys from run a 4.5 40, and this is in no way the biggest belfry line we have had, but ghoodness gracious these kids are becoming one heckuva football team.

Couple points I want to make before heading to the UK game:

1. Belfry's defense is SICK. Lightning quick, high football IQ, sure tackling. It seems as though every running play this season Belfry hits the ball carrier at least once before he ever makes it to the LOS, and usually that first hit is all that is needed to stop the play. I would really love to see the actual offensive stats against the Belfry varsity defense this year.

2. Belfry's offense is much better than I gave them credit for. I noticed a Corbin fan mention how they would be chomping at the bit, I don't think you would want to play Belfry right now. The defense will still wreak havoc on teams, but this offense is running like a machine right now. Belfry has a legitimate 6 running back platoon they can use, they have 4-6 viable receiving threats (they haven't been needed) , a QB who hides the ball better than any kid I have seen in the mountains, and a line that is starting to come together very nicely.

3. Big props to CoachJ for his comments on Sports OT, it takes a man to admit he was completely outcoached and take all the blame off his team... it takes even more of a man to do it on TV.

4. Running clock has been used in every game except Corbin.

5. Magoffin and Pike Central next, chance to recover some bumps and bruises and work on a few more wrinkles.

This was a horribly disappointing effort by the Panthers tonight. I know they are a better team than what they showed (not to take anything away from Belfry, they are probably the best team in 3A this year), this game should have been closer.

You cannot win football games without controlling the line of scrimmage. The Panthers linemen on either side of the ball were obviously not up to the task tonight. Back to the drawing board.

You hit the nail on the head...In years past the line play has been key in determining the outcome of Belfry/Pikeville games because the skill positions usually evened out in some shape or fashion.

But never was the play of one team's line as dominating as it was last night. And I, like many Pirate & Panther fans, thought the line play would be closer to equal this year than any other.