9th Region

Here is the current alignment for girls' basketball.

http://www.khsaa.org/basketball/alignment.pdf

And for the schools that could be considered NKY:

Region 8, District 31 - Carroll County, Gallatin County, Henry County, Owen County

Region 8, District 32 - Grant County, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona, Williamstown

Region 9, District 33 - Boone County, Conner, Heritage, Ryle, St. Henry District

Region 9, District 34 - Dixie Heights, Lloyd Memorial, Ludlow, Villa Madonna

Region 9, District 35 - Beechwood, Covington Catholic (B) Covington Latin, Holmes, Holy Cross (Covington), Notre Dame (G)

Region 9, District 36 - Bellevue, Dayton, Highlands, Newport, Newport Central Catholic

Region 10, District 37 - Bishop Brossart, Calvary Christian, Campbell County, Scott, Silver Grove

Region 10, District 38 - Deming, Harrison County, Millersburg Military (B)*, Nicholas County, Pendleton County

Here is the current alignment for girls' basketball.

http://www.khsaa.org/basketball/alignment.pdf

And for the schools that could be considered NKY:

Region 8, District 31 - Carroll County, Gallatin County, Henry County, Owen County

Region 8, District 32 - Grant County, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona, Williamstown

Region 9, District 33 - Boone County, Conner, Heritage, Ryle, St. Henry District

Region 9, District 34 - Dixie Heights, Lloyd Memorial, Ludlow, Villa Madonna

Region 9, District 35 - Beechwood, Covington Catholic (B) Covington Latin, Holmes, Holy Cross (Covington), Notre Dame (G)

Region 9, District 36 - Bellevue, Dayton, Highlands, Newport, Newport Central Catholic

Region 10, District 37 - Bishop Brossart, Calvary Christian, Campbell County, Scott, Silver Grove

Region 10, District 38 - Deming, Harrison County, Millersburg Military (B)*, Nicholas County, Pendleton County

Traditionally,

District 31 is fairly even

District 32 Simon Kenton has been tearing it up since Coach Sowers came aboard.

District 33 Boone will always be the favorite

District 34 Dixie

District 35 Notre Dame even though Holy Cross had a nice run 2 or 3 years ago.

District 36 Highlands/NCC will trade off as favorites

District 37 Brossart with Campbell and Scott have a year every 4-5 years. Calvary could be a sleeping giant in the non-Catholic Christians begin to send their kids to private schools in droves.

District 38 Harrison is the traditional favorite.

I would put him as the best, IMO, but he is 8th region and not 9th.:sssh:;)

I would have to 2nd this opinion! I believe Coach Stowers to be the best in the NKY area. He is an excellent defensive Coach ! Many things come into play when you are talking about WHO is the best coach. There are several very good coaches who just do not get any transfers , and do the best with what they have. It really depends on what your specific goals as a coach are. Coach Stowers is an in your face type of coach, which has helped him at times and has also hurt him at times ;)

I personally cannot say any of the NKY Coaches are just bad. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I don't believe any NKY coach has ever won the state title, but Coach Fookes has 502 wins (I think) . Which is impressive.

It is good to know that NKY is such an excellent place to watch and be involved in girls basketball. Sounds like there are a lot of great programs as well as coaches.

So if talent was all relevent, who would be the best coach to win ONE game with? Sowders or Fookes? Or someone that doesn't always have as good as talent from a smaller school but is an outstanding coach? (Loaded question I know....ha ha) Because coaches that win a lot aren't always the best coaches, but get the best players. There are oftentimes smaller school coaches who prepare their players and "outcoach" the supposed GREAT coaches.....

It is good to know that NKY is such an excellent place to watch and be involved in girls basketball. Sounds like there are a lot of great programs as well as coaches.

So if talent was all relevent, who would be the best coach to win ONE game with? Sowders or Fookes? Or someone that doesn't always have as good as talent from a smaller school but is an outstanding coach? (Loaded question I know....ha ha) Because coaches that win a lot aren't always the best coaches, but get the best players. There are oftentimes smaller school coaches who prepare their players and "outcoach" the supposed GREAT coaches.....

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

The coaches who win the state or take teams to the state are not always the better coaches. I thought the guy at Ludlow did a good job last year.

I know that Ed Cravens at Campbell County does a great job. He had the players a year and they went to state. Other years he does not have that same talent level but his teams are competitive.

Ray Kues was considered a good coach while winning at Brossart with Ms. Basketball Katie Schwegmann and present coach at Brossart Camey Geiman. He is at Silver Grove now, has he somehow lost his ability to coach that he has a different level and age of players. NO! Still a good coach.

That is the great thing about coaching. When coaches win, they look like geniuses. When they lose they look like goats. However, they are doing the same things, but it all rely's on the players.

I do have to say, I have known a lot of "great" coaches in Ohio that were not given equal talent, but you had to be ready to play them night after night because they got the best of their teams. I always like to pull for them and their teams. Some teams are gifted with better athletes and transfers (see Mt. Notre Dame in Ohio) and anyone would look great coaching an All Star team.......

I know this will sound like a homer but Coach Mefford at Carroll County is an excellent girls coach. He was the 8th region COY last year and made the switch from boys to girls a few years back.

He starts directing the girls at the MS age and is even involved in the younger leagues. Will CC ever get to State? Probably not, but will they always have competitive, hard working teams, Yes!