Smoking Ban complaints down, but many fines still unpaid

PepRock01

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apples and oranges. I can go 100 mph up my driveway (and through the back of my garage), if I want to. I can also build a track and allow people to race on that track at whatever speed they wish. There is no laws prohibiting either of those situations from a speeding standpoint. The highways, however, are public thoroughfares paid for and owned by tax payers, not private businesses. If the government wants to ban smoking in government facilities, they'll get no argument from me.

Note: I do not smoke. I also respect McDonalds' and Applebee's decision to ban smoking in their establishments, regardless of the local law. It's their business.

I'll buy the argument with speeding... Here's another one that might be more in line...

The law prohibits restaurants from unhealthy conditions where they prepare the food. This is in place to protect the customers and does place health requirements on the owners of the businesses. Smoking does just as much to harm the bodies of those who inhale it (or more) than someone who doesn't wear a hair net or gloves or wash their hands. These places of business can be shut down for having an unhealthy environment... Smoking in these places also causes the environment to be unhealthy.

If they want to put in a chew or a dip, that's fine with me - it's their body... but their rights end when my rights are infringed upon.

I'll buy the argument with speeding... Here's another one that might be more in line...

The law prohibits restaurants from unhealthy conditions where they prepare the food. This is in place to protect the customers and does place health requirements on the owners of the businesses. Smoking does just as much to harm the bodies of those who inhale it (or more) than someone who doesn't wear a hair net or gloves or wash their hands. These places of business can be shut down for having an unhealthy environment... Smoking in these places also causes the environment to be unhealthy.

If they want to put in a chew or a dip, that's fine with me - it's their body... but their rights end when my rights are infringed upon.

You don't have to go to that restaurant...Just like a smoker does not have to go to Applebees...Most all Restaurants are Unhealthy.If the law Prohibits restaurants from unhealthy Conditions then why is McDonalds allowed to sell Big Macs?...Thats not Protecting the Customers...

You don't have to go to that restaurant...Just like a smoker does not have to go to Applebees...Most all Restaurants are Unhealthy.If the law Prohibits restaurants from unhealthy Conditions then why is McDonalds allowed to sell Big Macs?...Thats not Protecting the Customers...

I'll pull the apples v/s oranges card here. If someone chooses to eat a Big Mac it only effects that person. If that person chooses to smoke, it effects everyone around them.

That's already started. Isn't against the law to sell anything in New York City cooked in transfatty oil?

I'm also against the health department shutting down places out right. I think they should be able to inspect and post warnings on the restaurant, in clear view of all potential customers, but not shut it down. If somebody is stupid enough to eat at a place marked as unhealthy by government standards, then it is on them.

So you guys are all for getting rid of the laws that restaurant owners have to go through for the public health issue of preparing food? Because that is a health issue, too and the government is telling restaurant owners what to do there.

Or is the safety of the food okay to regulate but not the air in the restaurant?

I'll pull the apples v/s oranges card here. If someone chooses to eat a Big Mac it only effects that person. If that person chooses to smoke, it effects everyone around them.

I understand what you are saying...So it's ok for the Owner of the restaurant to sell Food to people that can cause a number of Unhealthy Diseases as long as they wear Protective Gloves and a Hair net...:confused:

So what I am saying is,I feel that it is wrong to tell a Business owner that in his place of business no one can Smoke,but It's ok for him to sell unhealthy fat foods to quantity's of people...

I'm also against the health department shutting down places out right. I think they should be able to inspect and post warnings on the restaurant, in clear view of all potential customers, but not shut it down. If somebody is stupid enough to eat at a place marked as unhealthy by government standards, then it is on them.

I could not agree more...It's all about Freedom of Choice.:thumb:

I could not agree more...It's all about Freedom of Choice.:thumb:

IMO a person has freedom of choice until that choice has a direct effect on another person - at that point the rights of both people must be taken into account.

What if I use my freedom to choose to knock the snot out of the person blowing smoke in my face? Medical records could prove that my action causes less damage than his... Why should the law protect them from me if it doesn't protect me from them?

I understand what you are saying...So it's ok for the Owner of the restaurant to sell Food to people that can cause a number of Unhealthy Diseases as long as they wear Protective Gloves and a Hair net...:confused:

So what I am saying is,I feel that it is wrong to tell a Business owner that in his place of business no one can Smoke,but It's ok for him to sell unhealthy fat foods to quantity's of people...

Ok, I'll try to explain my reasoning again...

Yes, the owner of the restaurant should have the right to sell food that will only cause diseases in the person who chooses to buy it and eat it..

The smoker does not only hurt himself, but all those around him.

Ok, I'll try to explain my reasoning again...

Yes, the owner of the restaurant should have the right to sell food that will only cause diseases in the person who chooses to buy it and eat it..

The smoker does not only hurt himself, but all those around him.

The non Smoker has the Choice not to enter the OWNERS Business...Freedom of Choice...

If they would have let the People of Fayette Co. vote on this issue there would not be a smoking ban in Lexington...There are alot of Non smokers out there who would vote no on a Smoking ban because they Believe in Democracy and The Freedom of Choice...;)