New football alignment

4chs

I can't see Somerset winning that appeal. The district they are currently in has 6 teams and the 2A district they were originally in has 4. If everything else remains constant except for Corbin moving up, it would then be 7 teams in one distict and 3 in the other.

If I'm not mistaking Somerset would have been the smallest 2a school in the state if they would have stayed in 2a. It could be possible they would move to 1A with the next alignment.

The Corbin system spreads into three different counties?

I think the city limits are within all three counties. Travel-wise, if you live in southern Laurel, western Knox or northern Whitley county, its much closer for you to attend Corbin than the county school(s) in the county seat.

I don't think the district boundaries change much, except for an occasional subdivision moving, or something like that. I'm guessing Corbin's gains come from the Knox, Laurel or Whitley districts. Corbin is unique in being located in three counties.

Corbin's school district is actually only in Whitley and Knox counties. The four classes currently at the high school had 523 students when they were in kindergarten and now total 742 which is a 42% increase.

The Corbin School District's boundaries were expanded around 15-20 years ago when the State Board of Education took a very big area just on the outskirts of Corbin from the Whitley Co. system and included it in Corbin's. This area included some large subdivisions where a lot of the kids already went to Corbin, but buses were not allowed to pickup and deliver. The homeowners petitioned the state to be moved into the city school system and despite a lawsuit from the Whitley County system it was granted. Now the kids who live in this area are allowed to attend either school system and buses from both run in these areas.

When this area was part of Whitley's system, probably 65-75% went to the county school. The percentages have changed drastically since with probably 85-90% now attending Corbin. The new school that Corbin is building is located outside the old boundary lines in this area, which may push the percentages even higher.

There have been a lot of new subdivisions spring up over the past several years in Knox County just outside Corbin's boundaries. I would estimate that 95% of the kids in these attend Corbin and have always attended Corbin. Corbin and Knox have a reciprocal agreement and I'm not sure what would happen if Knox decided not to sign one. They threatened once and the homeowners threatened back with annexation petitions and Knox changed their mind, I guess because they did not want to risk losing the property tax dollars like Whitley did.