Russell / Cabell Midland Scrimmage

FBALL

I left a little early so I didn't see everything. I believe Cabell led on the scoreboard by 1 score when we left. Cabell seemed to have good team speed.

Russell's defense played well in spurts but then would give up the big play. They seemed Susceptible to the pass, especially the long pass play. I thought their QB had too much time to look down field.

Their offense also looked good at times, but then they would go a series and not really move it that much. Jones looked sharp especially rolling out of the pocket. He hit some good passes and I thought Russell's receivers ran disciplined routes. (Especially for this early) They seemed eager to hit the defender after the catch. :thumb:

I didn't see their first scrimage so I can't gauge how much they improved but I don't see any cause for alarm. They looked good IMO for this early. Ivan has the ability to bring a team along at the right speed.

Russell looked better than they did on Saturday, play of the teams 1st stringers was even, maybe a one score edge to Russell although I can't be certain. Overall, I believe the scrimmage wound up 3 TD's a piece. Line play was better overall. Secondary still has work to do, but Coach Morris will get it straightened out as the season progresses. Keep in mind we are seeing four new starters back there.

If not for some untimely penalties (called by a first year official with no previous football experience as a player or otherwise) for leading with the head, Russell probably has one or two more scores. FYI, an officials point of emphasis this season is any contact initiated with the head whether it is with the head down or with the facemask. Several of these calls last night after none on Saturday, curiously it was the same crew both times...:confused:

Not complaining as there are far too many kids tackling and running with their heads down which can lead to a broken neck and paralysis. However, there needs to be some consistency as there were many more egregious hits that drew no flag.

Thought it was a good scrimmage for both teams. Russell looked fairly good for playing a school with an enrollment of 2000 and in the top class in the state of WV. Cable had some very good football players. Russell is suspect when it comes to defending the long pass. Like said before Morris will fix that.

Cordle looked real good at the back-up QB position. Don't be surprised if he does not get a good share of the reps at QB down the road. He had a nice touch on several of his passes. I would really like to see Russell come out in the power I with cordle at QB and Jones at Running back. I would not be surprised if we don't see that at least for a series during a game.

I think Russell will do just fine come next Friday night.

Who looked good in the HB spot? Anyone standing out?

I would guess they played mostly base defense? The secondary should get better once the real games begin and those kids get some more experience under there belts.

First game could get interesting with GC taking to the air and the Devils secondary still trying to find their wheels. I look for a competitive game and of course Ivan and staff will be tweaking throughout the contest.

After hearing about Greenup's scrimmage with East, I doubt it will be anything more than business as usual next Friday...

Keep in mind the quality of the two opponents...

Cabell - Midland - good

Greenup - not so good

Who looked good in the HB spot? Anyone standing out?

I would guess they played mostly base defense? The secondary should get better once the real games begin and those kids get some more experience under there belts.

Once Russell started blitzing more, the C-M QB was scrambling alot and they had a couple of holding calls up front as they had trouble picking it up and getting on their blocks.

At RB, I believe Cordle and Bailey came out at HB with Abrams at FB for the 1st string. All looked decent running it, Bailey has had a slow start this season but looks to be improving. Abrams runs well, does a good job finding the hole. Cordle is getting there and has the potential to be the big play of the bunch, but will be learning the position on the run so to speak. Expect to see Will Rice getting carries too as he may (?) have the potential to be the next great back at Russell.

After hearing about Greenup's scrimmage with East, I doubt it will be anything more than business as usual next Friday...

Keep in mind the quality of the two opponents...

Cabell - Midland - good

Greenup - not so good

Have you adequately factored into the equation all the intimidating John Deere green and bib overalls donned by our neighbors to the west? Seriously though, this is the year for the Musketeers to win one of these backyard brawls. They bring everyone back and we lose 28 seniors.

Rice ran well against Spring Valley. I assume he did so again agianst Midland. He is a tough back that makes good cuts. He also could play HB or FB. With Abrams moving to FB did Rice see any reps at the HB spot?

Have you adequately factored into the equation all the intimidating John Deere green and bib overalls donned by our neighbors to the west? Seriously though, this is the year for the Musketeers to win one of these backyard brawls. They bring everyone back and we lose 28 seniors.

How many of those 28 actually played meanigful minutes?

How many of those 28 actually played meanigful minutes?

To the best of my memory, I count around 13 that actually contributed. So maybe you have a point there. But again, if GC is ever going to compete, this should be the year.

Keep in mind too, that while they may bring everyone back, it's everyone back from a team Russell beat 33-6 last year. The Musketeers have also installed what must be their third new offense in three years so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they won't have the execution down.

John Deere green and bibbed overalls notwithstanding, Greenup is still Greenup and Russell is still Russell...:fire:

How do you win a scrimmage? Coaches (good ones at least) aren't concerned with that and the "score" of a scrimmage is meaningless. I've heard Coach McGlone talk about this many times before. You work on what needs to be worked on. That might mean running the same play 5 times in a row or moving people around to see if they can play different positions.

Russell should have no problem w/ GC. I've seen both. The QB at GC is a nice athlete but they are so slow up front they will have problems. They didn't throw very well either. Wrong offense for the personnel.

How do you win a scrimmage? Coaches (good ones at least) aren't concerned with that and the "score" of a scrimmage is meaningless. I've heard Coach McGlone talk about this many times before. You work on what needs to be worked on. That might mean running the same play 5 times in a row or moving people around to see if they can play different positions.

Russell should have no problem w/ GC. I've seen both. The QB at GC is a nice athlete but they are so slow up front they will have problems. They didn't throw very well either. Wrong offense for the personnel.

How do you win a scrimmage??? You don't. I would never judge a team by a srimmage. There are too many factors involved that we don't see. To name a few. No special teams play, no turnovers, penalties are usually not factors, no clock, etc. Individual performance can be evaluated by coaches.