Attracting Coach to New Harlan County High

If I remember seeing the plans correctly, the school and the athletic complex would be separated by a river. I imagine the bridge alone would be quite expensive. Still, the new school is a considerable distance from any of the schools it is replacing. I suppose games could be play at maybe Cawood but that would be quite a trip everyday for practice.

I'm guessing it's about seven miles to Cawood.

I'm sure that for some coaches, the job would seem a bit less attractive. However, I'm sure that coaches truly interested in the job as a career position wouldn't let this be too much of a distraction.

I think the main issue here carries less impact on the future coach and more with the players. Assuming that games and practices will be at Cawood, numbers could be affected considering the time and the distance that would be required for players around Cloverlick, Benham and Lynch to get back and forth from practices and games on a daily basis.

That is a possibility. Judging by the set up of the new school however, (which I haven't been able to view in months) I'm not so sure if it would be feasable. For their sake, I do hope that they can. However, with funding being limited, I'm not for certain they could do it. Perhaps someone could elaborate on this. I'm aware of the fact that nothing extravagant would be needed, but to ensure safety, I'm sure that some costs would exist in grading a practice area and sodding it.

Some good points about the possibility of a practice field being put up there. I know that sod isn't cheap but someone could probably donate what grading that would be needed. Another question is what would they use as a locker room? Basketball locker rooms wouldn't be big enough to accommodate a 60+ person team for showering and storage. They would also probably have to share it with the basketball team(s). Therefore, I see them most likely using Cawood for a practice facility and game facility because of the field house that is already there. Just a thought...

Some good points about the possibility of a practice field being put up there. I know that sod isn't cheap but someone could probably donate what grading that would be needed. Another question is what would they use as a locker room? Basketball locker rooms wouldn't be big enough to accommodate a 60+ person team for showering and storage. They would also probably have to share it with the basketball team(s). Therefore, I see them most likely using Cawood for a practice facility and game facility because of the field house that is already there. Just a thought...

Sod?? Just sew some fescue or bluegrass, it doesn't have to be the best.

As for attracting a new coach. I'd say that they'll end up hiring from within, from one of the existing schools for most athletic positions.

As for attracting a new coach. I'd say that they'll end up hiring from within, from one of the existing schools for most athletic positions.

Is there really a proven candidate inside the system to be a head football coach? Also, how many kids from Cumberland and Evarts are going to play for Coach Perry? How many from Cawood and Cumberland are going to play for Coach Canady? I think they will try to find a proven coach to start the program off on the right foot without the kids having to fear an existing coach being biased towards his old school's players. Bringing in someone from inside the system as an assistant may not be a bad idea, but as a HC? I don't think that's really an option at this point in time.

Is there really a proven candidate inside the system to be a head football coach? Also, how many kids from Cumberland and Evarts are going to play for Coach Perry? How many from Cawood and Cumberland are going to play for Coach Canady? I think they will try to find a proven coach to start the program off on the right foot without the kids having to fear an existing coach being biased towards his old school's players. Bringing in someone from inside the system as an assistant may not be a bad idea, but as a HC? I don't think that's really an option at this point in time.

Do you honestly think coach Perry made the move to Cawood without any chance to be involved with the new school?

I agree with your basic point about bringing a coach in, but I disagree with the biased part. Every coach I've met is biased toward winning and will do what it takes to give him the best chance to win.

Do you honestly think coach Perry made the move to Cawood without any chance to be involved with the new school?

I never said he wouldn't be involved, just not the head coach... I personaly think he will be the first D-coordinator.

I agree with your basic point about bringing a coach in, but I disagree with the biased part. Every coach I've met is biased toward winning and will do what it takes to give him the best chance to win.

I agree, I was only saying that there might be fear of bias by players coming in from another school. While this may not be the case, there is always going to be some fear from high school aged kids about bias being present. Looking from the outside in, I don't believe that any of the existing three coaches would have bias towards their old schools. However, I am just trying to put myself in the shoes of a kid who might be going to the new school. Overall, I agree with you though about winning being the main goal of a coach.