Hunter S. Thompson: After 9/11

I am new to the P&R forum so if this has been discussed before please let me know. Hunter S. Thompson is one of my favorite individuals to ever grace this earth and while looking through some of his quotes I ran across two that I found to be very interesting, especially for the quickness/accuracy of the first one.

Here they are:

September 12, 2001

"It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy. . . We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or what will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once. Who knows?"

October 14, 2003

"I take no pleasure in being Right in my dark predictions about the fate of our military intervention in the heart of the Muslim world. It is immensely depressing to me. Nobody likes to be betting against the Home team."

Any thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who is Hunter Thompson?
He's this really bad writer that some people think is a great journalist. Frankly, I've seen better stuff in the National Enquirer. He committed suicide last year after spending 24 hours reading his own dribble.

I'm just fishing for Jim Schue. I think I have the right bait. :sssh:

He's this really bad writer that some people think is a great journalist. Frankly, I've seen better stuff in the National Enquirer. He committed suicide last year after spending 24 hours reading his own dribble.

I'm just fishing for Jim Schue. I think I have the right bait. :sssh:

Oof! :lol:

Oh, and he died two years ago (Feb. 20). :p

A coward who couldn't face the modern world and took the easy way out.

Inexplicably some grant him hero status for killing himself.

Not me. He was my hero long before he blew his brains out. His checking out in a "blaze of glory" did nothing to increase or decrease my love of the guy.

Maybe he was a coward. I don't know. I do know that he never in a million years figured he'd live as long as he did, given his extreme abuse of drugs and alcohol, and that because of that abuse, it left him with a number of medical difficulties that apparently became too much to bear.