Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hazard names Jordan Amis Head Coach

Featured Replies

15 hours ago, Bac2369 said:

Jordan Amis Facebook post!

IMG_0082.png

Nobody knows Hazard like you. Thoughts? Comments?

Did the last head coach leave for another job ? I thought he had turned the program around after a few tough years. 

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Nobody knows Hazard like you. Thoughts? Comments?

He may end up doing good in the long run at Hazard. Hazard returns the most offensive production in Class 1A in 2026. The question is can they keep the group together.  He was the offensive coordinator in 2022 when Hazard lost to raceland on a 4th and 1 first down to end the game and kill the clock. The following year he left Hazard very late in the game leaving them without OC into that 2023 season which ended up being the worst season in school history. I myself didn’t like how he left so close to the season starting and he ended up on the Bell County staff right after.  Amis offense in 2022 averaged 26 points per game. They finished 8-5 on the season and had losses to Breathitt by 2, Shelby Valley by 1, Lost to Raceland by 3 in the playoffs, and lost to Bardstown and Pikeville. But he also had the luxury of having Max Johnson, and big Landon Smith at wide receiver. Max accounted for over 2,200 yards on that season.  
 

But I wish him the best of luck as I think Hazard has the talent to win it all the next few seasons. The defensive injuries hurt the bulldogs chances this year. They just couldn’t get the stops they needed but hopefully things will  continue to improve as Hazard was still a young team this season.  2026 Hazard will be heavy Senior and Junior dominate. Second toughest schedule in Class 1A coming up behind only Pikeville.  
 

I believe Hazard missed on a couple of coaches they had there eyes on before going with Amis, but the outlook for him is prove everyone wrong and make that decision of hiring him look like the right one. 
 

But Go Bulldogs!!!

I'm already excited for football.

Edited by Bac2369

On 1/24/2026 at 2:35 PM, Hydration-coach83 said:

Did the last head coach leave for another job? I thought he had turned the program around after a few tough years. 

He was pushed out the door by the administrators at Hazard. Heckuva dumb move by the Hazard admins. @ChiefSmoke and Chuck Smith talked to Coach Chandler about his departure from Hazard in a segment of their podcast about a month back.

"Coach Matt Chandler Leaves Hazard HS"
TCOP with Chuck Smith & David Buchanan

TCOP.jpg.74a6a22e92b8b50ac3afff945f574c38.jpg

As a thread about Coach Amis being hired, this isn't really the correct place for discussing Coach Chandler's departure, but if you'd like to discuss the situation surrounding Coach Chandler's resignation further, just shoot me a quick PM and I can unlock that thread for further discussion.

Jordan Amis has been around coaching for a good while now. After playing 4 years of football at UPike he was named head football coach at Perry Central back in May of 2014....he was only 23 and just 4 years past his own graduation from Perry Central in 2010. Then in 2015 he left to join Dudley Hilton's assistant coaching staff at Taylor County, and then I believe he ended up at Hazard once Coach Hilton departed Taylor County and took over back at Bell County. @Bac2369 handled the rest of his resume in his post above.

Hazard's #1 WR from last season, Gavin Johnson, has transferred to Boyle County for his senior year, and their starting QB, rising junior William Shoptaw, is headed to St. X in Louisville. There are apparently two other transfers out from Hazard including a lineman headed to Perry Central.

From what I'm being told, the school was aware of these transfers but withheld the information from Coach Amis until after Amis had "signed on the dotted line," so to speak.

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Hazard's #1 WR from last season, Gavin Johnson, has transferred to Boyle County for his senior year, and their starting QB, rising junior William Shoptaw, is headed to St. X in Louisville. There are apparently two other transfers out from Hazard including a lineman headed to Perry Central.

From what I'm being told, the school was aware of these transfers but withheld the information from Coach Amis until after Amis had "signed on the dotted line," so to speak.

Clarification directly from Coach Amis:

"The administration was entirely transparent about this before offering me the job. I have forty-some other kids that I’m thrilled to have on my football team and this doesn’t change our goals or expectations in the slightest. I wish the transfers nothing but the best."

#Programintotaldissaray!!

Hazard to Louisville isn't exactly down the road. How did this come about?

2 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Hazard to Louisville isn't exactly down the road. How did this come about?

I've read elsewhere that Shoptaw's father is in the health care field. Louisville makes sense on a number of fronts.

His dad is a heart surgeon, he is featured in ARH commercials.

3 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

I've read elsewhere that Shoptaw's father is in the health care field. Louisville makes sense on a number of fronts.

 

1 hour ago, Truebluedude said:

His dad is a heart surgeon, he is featured in ARH commercials  

Yes, I read a comment on the WYMT Facebook post that said "losing the son hurts Hazard football. If they lose the father to a hospital in Louisville, that will hurt Hazard and eastern Kentucky much worse."

Edited by gchs_uk9

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.