Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Playoff Withdrawals

Featured Replies

  • Author
2 hours ago, theguru said:

At a minimum we need to go back to two teams per district. 

And yes I know about some of the past teams that were not top two. 

I'd be fine with top 3 get in and #1 seed in district gets a bye first round. 

  • Replies 216
  • Views 29.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Across Kentucky today, after school football practices will be held in cold rain with a wind chill of about 40 degrees. That is not unusual for late October/early November football weather in the Blue

  • AppalachianTactician
    AppalachianTactician

    Can we just have a sense that if a team decided to not play in a playoff game that it is for their program’s well being and give the understanding that the coach and administrators have the programs b

  • If we quit with mandatory district play the number of running clocks between same class schools will go way, way down. Or put another way, within a broken system we can always find problems for every

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd be fine with top 3 get in and #1 seed in district gets a bye first round. 

Yeah, I think this is a good balance.  Puts a priority on the regular season if we keep the district model intact.  Grants a reward for winning your district.  Teams who don't quality could have the option of playing another non-playoff team in a bowl game or something that would give some of those teams a more positive way to end the season.

What is the problem we are trying to fix? 

It's not lopsided games.

Edited by Voice of Reason

  • Author
19 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What is the problem we are trying to fix? 

It's not lopsided games.

Get rid of the lopsided, lopsided games like St. X vs. Southern 1st round.

20 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Get rid of the lopsided, lopsided games like St. X vs. Southern 1st round.

Because.....?

In that game, 20 or more kids will get to play in a varsity football game in a St. X uniform. Maybe some for the first time.

Edited by Voice of Reason

  • Author
15 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Because.....?

In that game, 20 or more kids will get to play in a varsity football game in a St. X uniform. Maybe some for the first time.

I think a playoff berth should be earned. 

47 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Because.....?

In that game, 20 or more kids will get to play in a varsity football game in a St. X uniform. Maybe some for the first time.

So you are justifying such a 1st round match up because 20 St. X players will get into a 50 or 60 point blowout win vs a team that might only have 20 players on their roster for the game???

3 hours ago, Oldercoach said:

Do we make the same argument for Ky HS basketball, baseball, tennis, track, wrestling, band and every other competition teams?

I do not. However, in my mind football brings a much different variable….the physicality. MOST (not all) of the #1 playoff seeds are VASTLY bigger, stronger, faster, deeper and more physical than their #4 seed opponents. Yes, I know those same differences are in place in the regular season. But due to the physicality aspect of the sport, and such disparity between the top teams and the bottom teams, I feel placement into the football post season should be earned, not a given. 

46 minutes ago, MBKT said:

So you are justifying such a 1st round match up because 20 St. X players will get into a 50 or 60 point blowout win vs a team that might only have 20 players on their roster for the game???

I wasn't clear enough on that post. I meant 20 kids who work their tail off all year and might not have played in a varsity game finally get to play.

For me, I like kids getting experiences and opportunities. One more week of practice with teammates and a game experience - all good things even with a lopsided score.

 

24 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I wasn't clear enough on that post. I meant 20 kids who work their tail off all year and might not have played in a varsity game finally get to play.

For me, I like kids getting experiences and opportunities. One more week of practice with teammates and a game experience - all good things even with a lopsided score.

 

I don't know man, it is X with full Frosh and JV schedules each year.  And, plenty of games where the first team doesn't play the whole game. 

Start of the 4th quarter.

49-20 Birds. 

8 hours ago, FatNate said:

What is the actual rule on this?  Do KHSAA rules prohibit teams from practice once eliminated?   I believe teams that are a long way from being competitive could gain more from practice.  Practice.  Practice.  Whether that’s in the weight room or on a skills ladder.  Watching Beechwood pound teams during district play makes it hard for me to believe either team is getting better from those games.  I am not a an expert and have never coached football.  I simply can’t see how 50-0 game helps anyone.  I would also argue that specific to a team like BW, they are probably getting pushed harder in practice than they have been the last five weeks. 

KHSAA Limitation of Seasons Bylaw does in fact state that (and, paraphrasing here) once eliminated from Post Season play, football teams may not practice until the designated Spring Practice period and outside of that fully organized practice is not allowed. 
 

https://khsaa.org/bylaw-23-provisions-football-practice-regulations/

10 hours ago, Hoops4Me said:

It would never happen again but back in the day only the district winner and runner-up went to the playoffs, and you would have better games. But the KHSAA would lose $$ by not having the blow outs of at least the 1st / 2nd round games.

If you go back further, I can remember only the district winner advancing to the playoffs, making the state championship finals the week of Thanksgiving, when they had 3 and then 4 classes. 

Just now, Option Right said:

If you go back further, I can remember only the district winner advancing to the playoffs, making the state championship finals the week of Thanksgiving, when they had 3 and then 4 classes. 

That is how it was when I played.  The district winner advances, two playoff games, and then the state championship. 

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

That is how it was when I played.  The district winner advances, two playoff games, and then the state championship. 

Those region championship games during those times, felt like the state finals! #ParisPride

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.