Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Playoff Withdrawals

Featured Replies

2 hours ago, 79ram said:

I believe your comment is correct, I think the reason why Khsaa started this playoff system was so that the schools who traditionally never made the playoffs would have that opportunity. Like I've posted on here before, it’s been said when 0-10 teams played against Raceland they would tell Raceland they wanted to get the game over with so they could go home! These teams knew that they didn’t deserve to be there playing in the playoffs in the first place!

I find it a little hard to believe anyone would want to get beat if that’s the case they don’t care anything about playing football to begin with.

  • Replies 216
  • Views 29.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Across Kentucky today, after school football practices will be held in cold rain with a wind chill of about 40 degrees. That is not unusual for late October/early November football weather in the Blue

  • AppalachianTactician
    AppalachianTactician

    Can we just have a sense that if a team decided to not play in a playoff game that it is for their program’s well being and give the understanding that the coach and administrators have the programs b

  • If we quit with mandatory district play the number of running clocks between same class schools will go way, way down. Or put another way, within a broken system we can always find problems for every

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

If you are 0-10 and have scored 28 points all season facing a 10-0 team averaging 49 a game it's a big problem. The best solution is going back to 4 classes with the district winner and runner-up moving forward ......and there will still be blowouts.

Heck there’s been several state championships that were blowouts there’s always going to be blowouts in football.

14 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I find it a little hard to believe anyone would want to get beat if that’s the case they don’t care anything about playing football to begin with.

I know it may be hard to see things up on that high horse, but let's contemplate a scenario, Don't worry, you stay up there and I'll read it to you. 

You play on the smallest team in the state, you have 14 players left on your roster and you have 30 students in your senior class.  No one on your team is going to be playing college sports, heck, only two players on your team are going to college at all.  You have suffered an 0-10 season.  You have won 3 games in the four years of high school football that you have played.  You have loved playing high school football, some of your best high school memories are playing a sport you loved with your best friends in the world.  

For your trouble, you get to travel 4 hours to play the biggest team in your class, they are undefeated and been to the State Championship game the last four years and won three of them.  They dress 80 players, 8 of which are going to play college football, 2 are going to play D1 college football.  

How do you feel about game 11 of the season?  Do you want to play it?  What does it say about you if you don't want to play it?  Would you play it because you felt like you had to?  Do you think you have a shot of winning this game? 

 

Edited by Ram

1 minute ago, Ram said:

I know it may be hard to see things up on that high horse, but let's contemplate a scenario, Don't worry, you stay up there and I'll read it to you. 

You play on the smallest team in the state, you have 14 players left on your roster and you have 30 students in your senior class.  No on your team in going to be playing college sports, heck, one two players on your team is going to college at all.  You have suffered an 0-10 season.  You have won 3 games in the four years of high school football that you have played.  You have loved playing high school football, some of your best high school memories are playing a sport you loved with your best friends in the world.  

For your trouble, you get to travel 4 hours to play the biggest team in your class, they are undefeated and been to the State Championship game the last four years and won three of them.  They dress 80 players, 8 of which are going to play college football, 2 are going to play D1 college football.  

How do you feel about game 11 of the season?  Do you want to play it?  What does it say about you if you don't want to play it?  Would you play it because you felt like you had to?  

 

Also I think there is another side to this.  If I am a one seed (or maybe even a two seed) I don't want to hear anything from anyone about running up the score.  I am playing my first team the entire first half and I am not holding back with my second team in the second half so your 1st team better be able to compete with my second team in the second half after having their brains in, in the first half. 

Additionally, if a team withdraws I don't think the KHSAA has any business plugging in a "replacement" team. 

1 hour ago, Ram said:

I know it may be hard to see things up on that high horse, but let's contemplate a scenario, Don't worry, you stay up there and I'll read it to you. 

You play on the smallest team in the state, you have 14 players left on your roster and you have 30 students in your senior class.  No one on your team is going to be playing college sports, heck, only two players on your team are going to college at all.  You have suffered an 0-10 season.  You have won 3 games in the four years of high school football that you have played.  You have loved playing high school football, some of your best high school memories are playing a sport you loved with your best friends in the world.  

For your trouble, you get to travel 4 hours to play the biggest team in your class, they are undefeated and been to the State Championship game the last four years and won three of them.  They dress 80 players, 8 of which are going to play college football, 2 are going to play D1 college football.  

How do you feel about game 11 of the season?  Do you want to play it?  What does it say about you if you don't want to play it?  Would you play it because you felt like you had to?  Do you think you have a shot of winning this game? 

 

Throwing insults just because I said I would never deliberately lose in a football game. I guess you and I are cut from two different cloths.

2 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I find it a little hard to believe anyone would want to get beat if that’s the case they don’t care anything about playing football to begin with.

Well believe what you want, none of this makes sense to send a team into the playoffs with a losing record against numbers 1-5 ranking, I think it’s demoralizing because they are going to get stomped. 

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

Throwing insults just because I said I would never deliberately lose in a football game. I guess you and I are cut from two different cloths.

Are we changing the argument?  Or, continuing to discuss the topic at hand?  Provide your rebuttal.  

Insult?  Come on man.  I live on a high horse too, first world problems.    

Edited by Ram

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

Throwing insults just because I said I would never deliberately lose in a football game. I guess you and I are cut from two different cloths.

 

How do you feel about game 11 of the season?  Do you want to play it?  What does it say about you if you don't want to play it?  Would you play it because you felt like you had to?  Do you think you have a shot of winning this game? 

7 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Look at the NCAA tournament all those teams from small conferences are not good teams.

What did those small conference teams do to make the NCAA Tournament?

1 hour ago, Ram said:

Are we changing the argument?  Or, continuing to discuss the topic at hand?  Provide your rebuttal.  

Insult?  Come on man.  I live on a high horse too, first world problems.    

There’s some programs that would never get to experience the playoffs if they didn’t do it this way should we do the same with all sports because that would change everything about the history of sports in Kentucky if you don’t like the games don’t watch them. No one is making you.

55 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

What did those small conference teams do to make the NCAA Tournament?

Beat equally bad teams.

35 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

Beat equally bad teams.

So they won and EARNED their way in, right?

50 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

There’s some programs that would never get to experience the playoffs if they didn’t do it this way should we do the same with all sports because that would change everything about the history of sports in Kentucky if you don’t like the games don’t watch them. No one is making you.

For me, it's not about watching teams that are struggling.  It's about advocating for those teams that are struggling.  If a team has a record of 0-10, they don't want to play another game against a team that is likely one of the best teams in their class.  I have seen it, I have heard it.  They don't want to do it.  Why are adults making them play a game that they are going to lose miserably when they don't want to play that game?  

As for other sports, it's not the same.  A small school can make it to the Sweet 16 in basketball, with a great player, and win games.  A small school can advance in baseball, with a great player.  A school that has 14 players can not win in the football playoffs, no matter if they have a great player or not.   Just can't be done, hasn't been done, won't be done.   

32 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

So they won and EARNED their way in, right?

Still a bad team that’s probably going to get blown out in the first round.

16 minutes ago, Ram said:

For me, it's not about watching teams that are struggling.  It's about advocating for those teams that are struggling.  If a team has a record of 0-10, they don't want to play another game against a team that is likely one of the best teams in their class.  I have seen it, I have heard it.  They don't want to do it.  Why are adults making them play a game that they are going to lose miserably when they don't want to play that game?  

As for other sports, it's not the same.  A small school can make it to the Sweet 16 in basketball, with a great player, and win games.  A small school can advance in baseball, with a great player.  A school that has 14 players can not win in the football playoffs, no matter if they have a great player or not.   Just can't be done, hasn't been done, won't be done.   

No adult is making them do anything the topic of the thread is playoff withdrawals if they don’t want to play they don’t have to I’m just saying they shouldn’t be made not to play like some are suggesting and even if the coach has the team play the game a player doesn’t have to show these are teenagers and no one can make a teenager do anything they don’t want to because they know everything.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.