Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Playoff Withdrawals

Featured Replies

I just did a quick look through the brackets. I see at least 20 first round games that look like interesting matchups. That is 20+ teams that have a chance at winning who would be sitting home this week if only the top 2 teams in the district qualified for the postseason.

  • Replies 216
  • Views 29.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Across Kentucky today, after school football practices will be held in cold rain with a wind chill of about 40 degrees. That is not unusual for late October/early November football weather in the Blue

  • AppalachianTactician
    AppalachianTactician

    Can we just have a sense that if a team decided to not play in a playoff game that it is for their program’s well being and give the understanding that the coach and administrators have the programs b

  • If we quit with mandatory district play the number of running clocks between same class schools will go way, way down. Or put another way, within a broken system we can always find problems for every

Posted Images

  • Author
15 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I just did a quick look through the brackets. I see at least 20 first round games that look like interesting matchups. That is 20+ teams that have a chance at winning who would be sitting home this week if only the top 2 teams in the district qualified for the postseason.

Top 3 with #1 seed getting a bye looks like optimum number of teams based on this info.

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I just did a quick look through the brackets. I see at least 20 first round games that look like interesting matchups. That is 20+ teams that have a chance at winning who would be sitting home this week if only the top 2 teams in the district qualified for the postseason.

That's why you wouldn't use that method. It's just as archaic as districts, well, especially with six classes. Hsratings.com, Top 16

However, I'll play. I picked 22, mostly all 2/3 games. These look about right?

1A

Lou. Holy Cross/Russellville, Bishop Brossart/Bellevue, Williamsburg/Paintsville

2A

Danville/Green Co, McLean Co/Crittenden, Morgan County/WV, Shelby Valley/West Carter

3A

Union County/LaRue County, Garrard Co/DeSales, Central/Bardstown

4A

John Hardin/Franklin-Simpson, Lincoln County/Perry Co Central, Harlan Co/Wayne Co

5A

Greenwood/Madisonville, Bullitt Central/Butler, Cooper/South Oldham, Dixie Heights/Collins, West Jess/Southwestern

6A

Hoptown/Daviess County, Bullitt East/North Hardin, Simon Kenton/Oldham, Meade County/Henderson

I'm not one to generally find fault, but definitely NOT without proposing a solution (of which @theguru and @Colonels_Wear_Blue have already seen- three to be exact, and two of which would likely cause the KHSFB world to explode in chaos, yet make sense-despite not wanting them to- myself included, yet when I separate the "What we've always done" b/c "That's just the way it should be done" thinking? They make sense. One in particular ).

All based around an 11 game regular season, Top 16 in each class to the playoffs & better yet? 17-32 in each class? Get a 12th game as well.

23 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

That's why you wouldn't use that method. It's just as archaic as districts, well, especially with six classes. Hsratings.com, Top 16

However, I'll play. I picked 22, mostly all 2/3 games. These look about right?

1A

Lou. Holy Cross/Russellville, Bishop Brossart/Bellevue, Williamsburg/Paintsville

2A

Danville/Green Co, McLean Co/Crittenden, Morgan County/WV, Shelby Valley/West Carter

3A

Union County/LaRue County, Garrard Co/DeSales, Central/Bardstown

4A

John Hardin/Franklin-Simpson, Lincoln County/Perry Co Central, Harlan Co/Wayne Co

5A

Greenwood/Madisonville, Bullitt Central/Butler, Cooper/South Oldham, Dixie Heights/Collins, West Jess/Southwestern

6A

Hoptown/Daviess County, Bullitt East/North Hardin, Simon Kenton/Oldham, Meade County/Henderson

I'm not one to generally find fault, but definitely NOT without proposing a solution (of which @theguru and @Colonels_Wear_Blue have already seen- three to be exact, and two of which would likely cause the KHSFB world to explode in chaos, yet make sense-despite not wanting them to- myself included, yet when I separate the "What we've always done" b/c "That's just the way it should be done" thinking? They make sense. One in particular ).

All based around an 11 game regular season, Top 16 in each class to the playoffs & better yet? 17-32 in each class? Get a 12th game as well.

What if you did the top 16 in the State Championship and make a seperate tournament 17-32 and call it the FCS champion or division 2 winners lol.

13 minutes ago, AppalachianTactician said:

What if you did the top 16 in the State Championship and make a seperate tournament 17-32 and call it the FCS champion or division 2 winners lol.

What/who decides top 16?

16 minutes ago, Oldercoach said:

What/who decides top 16?

TP-94 Power Rankings. ? 

As I have clearly established in this discussion, I am in favor of more teams in. I am in favor of a system that doesn't eliminate teams that want and should get to play in the post season. That said, if you are determined to get more selective, then I think the best rule is you need two wins to get in. 

This year, that would exclude 15 teams who are in the post season with 1 or 0 wins. That system also allows into the postseason 33 teams with a .500 or better record who would be excluded if only the top 2 teams in each district were allowed in. Those 33 teams are the reason I don't want to get selective/restrictive on who gets into the postseason.

Here are 14 winning teams that would be out of the playoffs if only the top 2 in each district qualification postseason:

1A

Nicholas County 8-2

2A

Caldwell County 6-4

Green County 7-3

Knott County Central 7-2

3A

Bardstown 7-3

Fleming County 6-4

4A

Franklin Simpson 6-4

Calloway County 6-4

Taylor County 7-3

Marion County 7-3

Boyd County 6-4

5A 

Madisonville-North Hopkins 8-2

Collins 7-3

South Laurel 8-2

6A

Oldham County 6-4

Edited by Voice of Reason

9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

As I have clearly established in this discussion, I am in favor of more teams in. I am in favor of a system that doesn't eliminate teams that want and should get to play in the post season. That said, if you are determined to get more selective, then I think the best rule is you need two wins to get in. 

This year, that would exclude 15 teams who are in the post season with 1 or 0 wins. That system also allows into the postseason 33 teams with a .500 or better record who would be excluded if only the top 2 teams in each district were allowed in. Those 33 teams are the reason I don't want to get selective/restrictive on who gets into the postseason.

Here are 14 winning teams that would be out of the playoffs if only the top 2 in each district qualification postseason:

1A

Nicholas County 8-2

2A

Caldwell County 6-4

Green County 7-3

Knott County Central 7-2

3A

Bardstown 7-3

Fleming County 6-4

4A

Franklin Simpson 6-4

Calloway County 6-4

Taylor County 7-3

Marion County 7-3

Boyd County 6-4

5A 

Madisonville-North Hopkins 8-2

Collins 7-3

South Laurel 8-2

6A

Oldham County 6-4

Hoe many of those team's wins are against the teams in their classification? Anybody can schedule wins. If they give out a trophy for a district championship it should mean something.

1 hour ago, Footballfan24 said:

Hoe many of those team's wins are against the teams in their classification? Anybody can schedule wins. If they give out a trophy for a district championship it should mean something.

Not sure on all the teams but I'll argue for Madisonville. Only loses are to Apollo and Owensboro. In their class (5A) or higher they went 5-2. Some were not the best quality of opponents but some were good opponents. They are also the only loss on Paducah Tilghman's schedule this year.

 

A scenario where that team does not get to play in the playoffs just does not seem right to me.

I can not believe there's a 14 page thread arguing for less high school football games. Well, I can believe it sadly but my goodness. Bunch of whiny adults upset they gotta watch their elite blue-blood school running clock somebody in the first round, just like they do for most of their games. Not every school's goal is to win a state title every year. 

6 minutes ago, wingt51 said:

I can not believe there's a 14 page thread arguing for less high school football games. Well, I can believe it sadly but my goodness. Bunch of whiny adults upset they gotta watch their elite blue-blood school running clock somebody in the first round, just like they do for most of their games. Not every school's goal is to win a state title every year. 

not for less games. Each team that makes the playoffs will get to play on and each team that does not will get to schedule a post season game they can actually win. Those teams will most likely not play more than one game in the playoffs any way.  It would actually work out to the same amount of games and be more competitive for all parties involved.  

2 hours ago, wingt51 said:

I can not believe there's a 14 page thread arguing for less high school football games. Well, I can believe it sadly but my goodness. Bunch of whiny adults upset they gotta watch their elite blue-blood school running clock somebody in the first round, just like they do for most of their games. Not every school's goal is to win a state title every year. 

Do you really believe that the teams that are getting running clocked in the 1st half want to be playing these games? I've seen kids on those teams making a mockery of those games. That is why you are seeing teams drop out come playoff time.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the number of 4 seeds that drop out continues to accelerate, kind of like how the opt out for college bowl games did.  The idea that you can't do that or even that it's frowned upon has been breached and the floodgates might open.

4 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the number of 4 seeds that drop out continues to accelerate, kind of like how the opt out for college bowl games did.  The idea that you can't do that or even that it's frowned upon has been breached and the floodgates might open.

And I am good with that. Just don't set up a system where excluding those teams also excludes teams that want to play on. Every system I have seen proposed to try and eliminate those teams also eliminates teams that should be in the post season. If we are going to appease those who don't want a postseason tournament and prefer some exclusive postseason, my proposal to require 2 wins to qualify for the post season is the most equitable.

Here are a couple #4 seeds that I argue should be in the post season:

1A

Louisville Holy Cross - Ranked in the 1A top ten all season.

4A

Taylor County - 7-3 and 17 points away from being undefeated

Those teams get denied a post season game because some people don't like lopsided round 1 games?

 

40 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

And I am good with that. Just don't set up a system where excluding those teams also excludes teams that want to play on. Every system I have seen proposed to try and eliminate those teams also eliminates teams that should be in the post season. If we are going to appease those who don't want a postseason tournament and prefer some exclusive postseason, my proposal to require 2 wins to qualify for the post season is the most equitable.

Here are a couple #4 seeds that I argue should be in the post season:

1A

Louisville Holy Cross - Ranked in the 1A top ten all season.

4A

Taylor County - 7-3 and 17 points away from being undefeated

Those teams get denied a post season game because some people don't like lopsided round 1 games?

 

I'd argue that I'd be fine with excluding because they should've taken care of business in their district so that they aren't a #4 seed.  I just think the regular season needs more prioritization, especially if we're going to keep this district system, which I believe is becoming more archaic by the year anyway.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.