Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Highlands

Featured Replies

Not to beat this horse any more than it already has been, but I can't say I am too fond of the notion that the passing attack only has to be "effective enough" vs. being a vital part of the offense. I can't say what the percentage was last season of running to passing plays, but I would guess it would be at least 70/30%. So, logically, opposing teams are going to spend their preparation time in a similar fashion. Give 'em some more to prepare for, and spread out the defense to cover more field. Let's find a way to use more tools in the tool box!

 

OK, now I'm getting off my soap box, before I start the rant about squib-kicking in the regular season game with Cov Cath...........

I would like to see H use the spread formations and attack with the running game. Defenses have to respect the formation or pay the price. This also opens up the line and gives good backs the opportunity to make big plays.

  • Replies 160
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "elephant in the room" was alluded to by LN.....special teams need to return to being "special" at HHS.

First day after dead period and Dale is getting plenty of help.

First day after dead period and Dale is getting plenty of help.

Would you expect anything less??????? :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Not safe to say that at all. I think Simons, Draper, Bathiany, O'Brian, Roller, Carothers and Hall have looked good so far. I think we'll be able to pass the ball effectively enough to keep teams honest. Then again, I thought we did last year.

 

As for the rest of your post: folks keyed on Highlands running the ball all last season. You are absolutely correct. Folks like Elder, St. X, DeSales, Dixie and of course CovCath. Yet we averaged approx 300 yards rushing the ball. In the first game against CovCath, we moved the ball on the ground very well in spite of them knowing we were going to run the ball (didn't we have better than 250 on the ground?). And don't let our inability to run the ball in one game unduly influence your assessment of our ability to run the ball last year. And I'll go to my grave thinking we lost the second game in large part because we abandoned the run way too quickly in the second half. By passing the ball in the second half, we played right into CovCath's strength. What we have, three interceptions in the second half? The interception on the first play of the second half was a back breaker right after we had scored toward the end of the first half to gain some momentum. I'd have kept pounding the ball play after play. You are simply not going to beat a very high quality team like CovCath throwing 3 interceptions and having about a 25 yd per punt average.

 

Well said LN, I agree they started flingin it too early and didnt have the patience needed in a game like that. Field position was crucial in that last game and they did pretty much run when they wanted last year. I just wish they could have converted more in the RedZone against certain teams. I'm sure you have a stat for that, what were they in the RedZone last year as far as converting points?

Well said LN, I agree they started flingin it too early and didnt have the patience needed in a game like that. Field position was crucial in that last game and they did pretty much run when they wanted last year. I just wish they could have converted more in the RedZone against certain teams. I'm sure you have a stat for that, what were they in the RedZone last year as far as converting points?

I would think Red Zone conversions were at a high % last year. Other than a turnover or two I can't remember anyone stopping the power package from short yardage. As in any year I'm sure the coaches have assessed the positves and negatives from the prior year and have diligently worked on the areas of concerns. Please enough about last year and lets get ready for what will be a special season.:banana:

Not to beat this horse any more than it already has been, but I can't say I am too fond of the notion that the passing attack only has to be "effective enough" vs. being a vital part of the offense. I can't say what the percentage was last season of running to passing plays, but I would guess it would be at least 70/30%. So, logically, opposing teams are going to spend their preparation time in a similar fashion. Give 'em some more to prepare for, and spread out the defense to cover more field. Let's find a way to use more tools in the tool box!

 

OK, now I'm getting off my soap box, before I start the rant about squib-kicking in the regular season game with Cov Cath...........

 

Which side of the ledger does Cecil scrambling with the ball go on? It was often a pass play, but ended up in a run (often a very effective run).

 

Better question would be "what % of plays were a pass (attempted or completed) of 7 or less yards (swing pass, quick out, TE dump over the middle, drag, curl, etc.)?" I'm guessing less than 10%.

My prediction is Cecil will probably be used a lot in the running game. He showed last year that he is not afraid to run over Defensive backs when in the open field. In fact he took some MLB's on head on and it probably made a lot of fans cringe. With the other backs mentioned like Hurtt,Crawford, Connor and Head I think they will have a very good running game regardless if they pass much or not.

 

The only question I have is how much Defense will Cecil play. I think this is probably the side of the ball he will play in college.

My prediction is Cecil will probably be used a lot in the running game. He showed last year that he is not afraid to run over Defensive backs when in the open field. In fact he took some MLB's on head on and it probably made a lot of fans cringe. With the other backs mentioned like Hurtt,Crawford, Connor and Head I think they will have a very good running game regardless if they pass much or not.

 

The only question I have is how much Defense will Cecil play. I think this is probably the side of the ball he will play in college.

Tough to ask your "running QB" to play both ways.

Tough to ask your "running QB" to play both ways.

But i think Dale realizes it needs to happen!!!!! It would be hard to find a better conditioned player in the state right now. IMO

It will be interesting to see the "rotation" of the 2-way players and see which side of the ball that Dale favors. I prefer the emphasis be on D and we "find a way" to score on O.

I'm sure Dale has it covered.

But i think Dale realizes it needs to happen!!!!! It would be hard to find a better conditioned player in the state right now. IMO

 

 

I agree with you. The kid is going to have a fantastic year.

I agree with you. The kid is going to have a fantastic year.

Huh!!!!! Did you say you actually agree with me:laugh: Did you accidently eat one of Henry's peanut butter cookies. You know you can't eat them:sssh: No seriously, i think the Birds will be a much better team with Cecil making his presence on the D side of the ball. There is no way any QB in the state of Kentucky ran more than Clay Cecil did in 2006. Even if they played both ways, I would find it hard to believe!!!!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.