Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007 Highlands

Featured Replies

True, until you consider that they've spent almost zero time on defense so far in spring ball. Its been O, O and more O in practice.

 

RaiderBird, Luke played the o line and lber. Looked very good at both spots. With his size, strength and speed, he could be one of the finest o linemen Highlands has ever had.

I'm glad they have him playing LB. I thought he was the best backer last year. Dale for some reason didn't play him a whole lot at that position. I'm itching for some football.........GO BIRDS!!!!!! Does anybody know what is going on with the second week of the season???? Who we might be playing??

  • Replies 160
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention Drew Simons' outstanding efforts at wide out. Not bad for a basketball player. Alot of JV baseball players showed well also. I hope HHS can "muddle" through another season using non-exclusive atheletes. (lol)

I'm glad they have him playing LB. I thought he was the best backer last year. Dale for some reason didn't play him a whole lot at that position. I'm itching for some football.........GO BIRDS!!!!!! Does anybody know what is going on with the second week of the season???? Who we might be playing??

 

As to the second game question, nothing has been finalized yet from what I understand. As for Luke not playing lb'er much last year, I thought he played a fair amount. Dale generally (and I know there are exceptions) doesn't like playing juniors both ways and Luke played a lot of TE last year. That may have impacted his lb'er playing time last year. With only one relatively experienced d lineman returning, I'll feel better seeing big old Luke manning the middle lb'er position along side Fitz and Ball (although with those two also starting on the o line, you might see them rotating the middle lb'er spots if others like Newman, Laber, Roller and Alford are able to get the job done).

With Bathiany out for spring, how is the defensive backfield stacking up?

With Bathiany out for spring, how is the defensive backfield stacking up?

 

What about the Safety position? Jake Turner possibly? He looks like he is picking up some weight and is very athletic. He had 4 picks in one JV game last year I think. Who is competing at Center field?

Sidenote: Hats off to Dale Mueller for going to South Africa to help build homes and plant crops. Many of us talk the talk but Dale is obviously walking the walk when it comes to helping his fellow man.

Sidenote: Hats off to Dale Mueller for going to South Africa to help build homes and plant crops. Many of us talk the talk but Dale is obviously walking the walk when it comes to helping his fellow man.

 

I don't think anyone that ever met Dale would doubt he would help anyone in need rather its in Ft. Thomas, China, or South Africa. There were a ton of local people that went over and several from Ft.Thomas. Congratulations to all who volunteer.

I don't think anyone that ever met Dale would doubt he would help anyone in need rather its in Ft. Thomas, China, or South Africa. There were a ton of local people that went over and several from Ft.Thomas. Congratulations to all who volunteer.

 

 

Agreed. Not a bad football coach and an even better person (and role model for young men).

 

And CSHS, it was very nice of you to make your post. Unfortunately we have a tendency to dwell on the "mistakes" that coaches make and not give them enough credit for the good things they do on and off the field.

Agreed. Not a bad football coach and an even better person (and role model for young men).

 

And CSHS, it was very nice of you to make your post. Unfortunately we have a tendency to dwell on the "mistakes" that coaches make and not give them enough credit for the good things they do on and off the field.

 

 

Running up the score/onside kicking with a big lead are really insignificant in the big picture, right?

Running up the score/onside kicking with a big lead are really insignificant in the big picture, right?

 

 

Bingo. And don't get me started on justifying Dale on the running up the score and on side kicking stuff again. :banana:

I heard that Dale took his entire family over to Africa... a great coach, inspirational to his players as well as to his family!

Good point SS.

 

Now back to the thread.

 

For all the talk about Highlands passing the ball a lot more this year than last when they were supposedly "one dimensional", in my crystal ball I see them again being a predominantly run oriented team this year. With the running backs they have (Conner, Crawford, Hurtt, Head and Peko; and lets not forget Cecil's ability to run the ball out of the qb spot or the sophomore Collinsworth if they keep him at running back), there is too much talent there to be throwing the ball even 50% of the time. And while they don't have a lot of experience returning on the line, there are some real talented kids moving onto the O line.

Good point SS.

 

Now back to the thread.

 

For all the talk about Highlands passing the ball a lot more this year than last when they were supposedly "one dimensional", in my crystal ball I see them again being a predominantly run oriented team this year. With the running backs they have (Conner, Crawford, Hurtt, Head and Peko; and lets not forget Cecil's ability to run the ball out of the qb spot or the sophomore Collinsworth if they keep him at running back), there is too much talent there to be throwing the ball even 50% of the time. And while they don't have a lot of experience returning on the line, there are some real talented kids moving onto the O line.

 

So is it safe to say nobody has stepped up at the reciever spot? I agree with the depth at RB but with the experience they had on the line this past year look at what happened when teams keyd on their inside running game, ie Cov Cath game.

So is it safe to say nobody has stepped up at the reciever spot? I agree with the depth at RB but with the experience they had on the line this past year look at what happened when teams keyd on their inside running game, ie Cov Cath game.

 

 

Not safe to say that at all. I think Simons, Draper, Bathiany, O'Brian, Roller, Carothers and Hall have looked good so far. I think we'll be able to pass the ball effectively enough to keep teams honest. Then again, I thought we did last year.

 

As for the rest of your post: folks keyed on Highlands running the ball all last season. You are absolutely correct. Folks like Elder, St. X, DeSales, Dixie and of course CovCath. Yet we averaged approx 300 yards rushing the ball. In the first game against CovCath, we moved the ball on the ground very well in spite of them knowing we were going to run the ball (didn't we have better than 250 on the ground?). And don't let our inability to run the ball in one game unduly influence your assessment of our ability to run the ball last year. And I'll go to my grave thinking we lost the second game in large part because we abandoned the run way too quickly in the second half. By passing the ball in the second half, we played right into CovCath's strength. What we have, three interceptions in the second half? The interception on the first play of the second half was a back breaker right after we had scored toward the end of the first half to gain some momentum. I'd have kept pounding the ball play after play. You are simply not going to beat a very high quality team like CovCath throwing 3 interceptions and having about a 25 yd per punt average.

Not safe to say that at all. I think Simons, Draper, Bathiany, O'Brian, Roller, Carothers and Hall have looked good so far. I think we'll be able to pass the ball effectively enough to keep teams honest. Then again, I thought we did last year.

 

As for the rest of your post: folks keyed on Highlands running the ball all last season. You are absolutely correct. Folks like Elder, St. X, DeSales, Dixie and of course CovCath. Yet we averaged approx 300 yards rushing the ball. In the first game against CovCath, we moved the ball on the ground very well in spite of them knowing we were going to run the ball (didn't we have better than 250 on the ground?). And don't let our inability to run the ball in one game unduly influence your assessment of our ability to run the ball last year. And I'll go to my grave thinking we lost the second game in large part because we abandoned the run way too quickly in the second half. By passing the ball in the second half, we played right into CovCath's strength. What we have, three interceptions in the second half? The interception on the first play of the second half was a back breaker right after we had scored toward the end of the first half to gain some momentum. I'd have kept pounding the ball play after play. You are simply not going to beat a very high quality team like CovCath throwing 3 interceptions and having about a 25 yd per punt average.

 

Not to beat this horse any more than it already has been, but I can't say I am too fond of the notion that the passing attack only has to be "effective enough" vs. being a vital part of the offense. I can't say what the percentage was last season of running to passing plays, but I would guess it would be at least 70/30%. So, logically, opposing teams are going to spend their preparation time in a similar fashion. Give 'em some more to prepare for, and spread out the defense to cover more field. Let's find a way to use more tools in the tool box!

 

OK, now I'm getting off my soap box, before I start the rant about squib-kicking in the regular season game with Cov Cath...........

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.