Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School basketball changes

Featured Replies

Is Basketball RPI really used for anything?  I know districts and regions mainly draw or seed based on head to head games.  RPI used for a tie break only in most cases?

  • Replies 58
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ChickenWyngz
    ChickenWyngz

    Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

  • This is a big one. I think about 24 total regular season games would be more than enough.

57 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Is Basketball RPI really used for anything?  I know districts and regions mainly draw or seed based on head to head games.  RPI used for a tie break only in most cases?

Correct.  It has replaced all "random tiebreaks" I.E. Coin Flips.

  • Author
21 hours ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

There are two independents in the 32nd District: Williamstown and Walton-Verona. WV won the region in 2019, and had just a few semifinal appearances following. Williamstown has not been a legitimate threat to the region for many years. 

Outside of that, there is nothing. As mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, what do we consider independent schools in this case? I believe they must accept all kids inside their school district, but outsiders pay (and be accepted) to attend. Is this correct?

Independant schools are a lot different than Private schools.

55 minutes ago, Joe LeDuc said:

Independant schools are a lot different than Private schools.

What is your issue with private schools?

Is the KY Sweet 16 the only tournament that is a random draw? HS other sports, college, and Pros seem to all have seeded tournaments. I've never been in favor of a random draw to fill a tournament bracket. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Is the KY Sweet 16 the only tournament that is a random draw? HS other sports, college, and Pros seem to all have seeded tournaments. I've never been in favor of a random draw to fill a tournament bracket. 

I would rather it be seeded too but the issue there is what entity decides the seeding and can we trust them. 

10 minutes ago, theguru said:

I would rather it be seeded too but the issue there is what entity decides the seeding and can we trust them. 

I'd be fine with seeding with RPI. It's not perfect but better than random draw.

10 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I'd be fine with seeding with RPI. It's not perfect but better than random draw.

I suppose because there are so many games and most of them are against in state teams but I would still prefer a "calpreps" type model. 

Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

On 3/25/2025 at 9:06 AM, Adrian Woj Burner said:

To summarize this, if an independent school wanted to get transfers for basketball, they probably could. I am sure it has happened before, and will probably happen again. If they were to seperate the private and public schools (boo), you would have to consider the independents private in my opinion. 

No offense, but you do not understand KHSAA rules nor independent schools.

1. An independent school is a public school exactly like a county school with a smaller district. Zero difference. 

2. In KY, an 8th grader can go to any high school they choose - public or private. If they are in district, the public school has to accept them. Out of district, it is up to the school to decide who they will allow to attend. A public school can accept out of district students if they choose to allow them.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No offense, but you do not understand KHSAA rules nor independent schools.

1. An independent school is a public school exactly like a county school with a smaller district. Zero difference. 

2. In KY, an 8th grader can go to any high school they choose - public or private. If they are in district, the public school has to accept them. Out of district, it is up to the school to decide who they will allow to attend. A public school can accept out of district students if they choose to allow them.

Right, the KHSAA rules are the same for ALL schools.  Some schools self-impose additional restrictions on themselves but again the KHSAA rules are the same for all schools. 

2 hours ago, DragonFire said:

Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

I wish so bad we could do RPI to seed but this the exact reason we can’t. 

11 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Is the KY Sweet 16 the only tournament that is a random draw? HS other sports, college, and Pros seem to all have seeded tournaments. I've never been in favor of a random draw to fill a tournament bracket. 

Baseball state tournament is also seeded by blind draw. While it may not always seem to go in favor of getting us the best two teams in the championship game, I do like the current system. It allows for some drama that may otherwise not be there that early in the tournament. And as we've heard many coaches say over the years, to win a championship you will have to beat the best anyway. Sometimes that may come sooner than expected but still have to go through the fire to be the final team standing at the end of the week. 

On 3/27/2025 at 12:25 PM, DragonFire said:

Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

Bingo. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.