Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School basketball changes

Featured Replies

As we enter the final week of the 2024-25 season, what are some changes that you would like to see made for Kentucky high school basketball?

  • Replies 58
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ChickenWyngz
    ChickenWyngz

    Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

  • This is a big one. I think about 24 total regular season games would be more than enough.

I'll go ahead and claim the post about a shot clock.  However, I'm well aware of the financial and logistical challenges of implementation, especially because schools struggle to get volunteers for other tasks and running a shot clock isn't easy.

Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something that MUST happen. 

15 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something that MUST happen. 

This is a big one. I think about 24 total regular season games would be more than enough.

I am not opposed to a shot clock. I think it would benefit the end of close games. However, it is hard to apply to the game. Schools struggle enough as it is to find people to keep the book/clock. 

I'm not a fan of the Double-bonus after five fouls in each quarter. I might be in the minority though.

16 minutes ago, PP1 said:

I'm not a fan of the Double-bonus after five fouls in each quarter. I might be in the minority though.

I have been, but I might be in the minority on this side. I haven't heard much about it from anyone one way or the other. 

35 minutes ago, PP1 said:

I'm not a fan of the Double-bonus after five fouls in each quarter. I might be in the minority though.

I like it resetting every quarter, but there is an element of excitement gone late with the 1 and 1!

7 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

I like it resetting every quarter, but there is an element of excitement gone late with the 1 and 1!

Agreed.  Give me the reset on fouls each quarter, but the bonus is 1 and 1, not 2 shots.

  • Author
3 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something that MUST happen. 

I am not a fan of this one.  The season is over in a blink of an eye as it is.  

  • Author
2 hours ago, PP1 said:

I'm not a fan of the Double-bonus after five fouls in each quarter. I might be in the minority though.

I was not at first but now I really like it.  It seems to keep the flow of the game going and reduces the chance of a scorekeeper/referee error.

I think high school basketball has to adapt or suffer. I think there are two crises - shortage of officials (plus an aging population of them) and the competition of other sports including club sports and prep schools. 

I think shortening the schedule helps with both. I would also incentivize teams forgoing a district schedule so we don't have obligatory massive blowouts. Those games help absolutely no one and drain resources that are becoming much more valuable. 

Lessen the overlap with sports, lower the strain on officials, decrease the number of blowouts, and create opportunity for innovation in the post-season. We need to move on from the current model of everyone participating in the district tournaments and then flowing into a blind draw 8 team regional. I don't know what the perfect model is but the current one is antiquated. However, any new model should have an end result of an unchanged Sweet 16 (with the exception that I would be open to listen about seeding the Sweet 16).

I also think we have to overhaul and add structure to the freshmen and JV formats. Ohio has a quarter count (or at least they did when I coached) where a kid can only play so many quarters across all three levels in one night. I also think you mass schedule freshmen games regionally so the same crew of officials can cover them all - will increase consistency and quality. 

Just some ideas to start with.

 

31 minutes ago, se7ens said:

I think high school basketball has to adapt or suffer. I think there are two crises - shortage of officials (plus an aging population of them) and the competition of other sports including club sports and prep schools. 

I think shortening the schedule helps with both. I would also incentivize teams forgoing a district schedule so we don't have obligatory massive blowouts. Those games help absolutely no one and drain resources that are becoming much more valuable. 

Lessen the overlap with sports, lower the strain on officials, decrease the number of blowouts, and create opportunity for innovation in the post-season. We need to move on from the current model of everyone participating in the district tournaments and then flowing into a blind draw 8 team regional. I don't know what the perfect model is but the current one is antiquated. However, any new model should have an end result of an unchanged Sweet 16 (with the exception that I would be open to listen about seeding the Sweet 16).

I also think we have to overhaul and add structure to the freshmen and JV formats. Ohio has a quarter count (or at least they did when I coached) where a kid can only play so many quarters across all three levels in one night. I also think you mass schedule freshmen games regionally so the same crew of officials can cover them all - will increase consistency and quality. 

Just some ideas to start with.

 

I love the idea of changing post-season play and removing of unnecessary district games. One option for changing district play would be a change of how teams schedule the regular season, I feel that games should shift towards the men's college regular season format where every region team has to play each other at least once starting in January. You can schedule these games on weeknights, and certain Saturdays throughout the year. On your other Saturdays, you could have events like the Big Ten/ACC challenge or the SEC vs Big XII where teams look for out-of-region opponents who are similar level to them but are not mandatory. If these are hosted where you have 4-6 games in one place, you would limit the amount of resources needed, as well as potentially drawing bigger crowds for these types of events. As far as the region play this would allow for a change in the post-season format where you would be able to seed a regional tournament accurately based on record. If you play everyone once, that gives you 15-18 games and another 15-12 to work with for out-of-region games. You can still have the same format for the Sweet 16 if you so choose, but I feel that this would be the quickest way to allow for a change in the post-season format from a district and region format.  

1 hour ago, se7ens said:

I also think we have to overhaul and add structure to the freshmen and JV formats. Ohio has a quarter count (or at least they did when I coached) where a kid can only play so many quarters across all three levels in one night. I also think you mass schedule freshmen games regionally so the same crew of officials can cover them all - will increase consistency and quality. 

Just some ideas to start with.

 

I'm clearly just guessing at what you are getting at here.  In the bolded are you saying hold a triple-header at 1 location, but it's just freshmen games?  I'll keep it "regional" in my example, as a possible rotation.

Games at Newport:
4:30 Newport vs TBD 
6:00 Dayton vs TBD
7:30 Bellevue vs TBD

Games at Scott:
4:30 Scott vs TBD 
6:00 Dixie vs TBD
7:30 Simon Kenton vs TBD

I put the home/host team first as they would not have to travel.  They could also play the 7:30 game.
And realistically, you could do this every week or every other with the games being played at one of the other schools.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.