Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School basketball changes

Featured Replies

Wasn't there discussion years ago of possibly getting rid of districts and just having a "super regional"-type tournament?  Can't remember the nuts and bolts of the idea but it sounded interesting.

I'm not as well acquainted with RPI for basketball as I am for football but a tool like that for seeding in region/state I would be open to.   For Sweet 16 purposes I would be open to seeding the top 4 seeds in the bracket - keeping them away from each other until the semis - and then you can blind draw the rest.  That way we don't have the same regions drawing those games against the top teams year in and year out.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ChickenWyngz
    ChickenWyngz

    Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

  • This is a big one. I think about 24 total regular season games would be more than enough.

40 minutes ago, theguru said:

Welcome to BGP @EKU Hoops!

Thank you!

38 minutes ago, No Hiding Here....BC 21 said:

I'm clearly just guessing at what you are getting at here.  In the bolded are you saying hold a triple-header at 1 location, but it's just freshmen games?  I'll keep it "regional" in my example, as a possible rotation.

Games at Newport:
4:30 Newport vs TBD 
6:00 Dayton vs TBD
7:30 Bellevue vs TBD

Games at Scott:
4:30 Scott vs TBD 
6:00 Dixie vs TBD
7:30 Simon Kenton vs TBD

I put the home/host team first as they would not have to travel.  They could also play the 7:30 game.
And realistically, you could do this every week or every other with the games being played at one of the other schools.

This is EXACTLY what I am getting at. Such a massive consolidation of resources. I really fear the small schools losing freshmen basketball. 

41 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Wasn't there discussion years ago of possibly getting rid of districts and just having a "super regional"-type tournament?  Can't remember the nuts and bolts of the idea but it sounded interesting.

I'm not as well acquainted with RPI for basketball as I am for football but a tool like that for seeding in region/state I would be open to.   For Sweet 16 purposes I would be open to seeding the top 4 seeds in the bracket - keeping them away from each other until the semis - and then you can blind draw the rest.  That way we don't have the same regions drawing those games against the top teams year in and year out.

I think the 15th Region held a "Super Regional" this year after districts.

12 minutes ago, No Hiding Here....BC 21 said:

I think the 15th Region held a "Super Regional" this year after districts.

And I saw that but didn't look into it a great deal - was that trying something new out or in response to the flooding and disruption to the season? Apologies, but I don't follow a whole lot of that area. 

2 minutes ago, se7ens said:

And I saw that but didn't look into it a great deal - was that trying something new out or in response to the flooding and disruption to the season? Apologies, but I don't follow a whole lot of that area. 

I'm in the same boat as you.  Saw it, meant to look more into it, but didn't.

I'm sure someone on here can explain it.

A shot clock will increase the number and scope of blowouts. Unless it is turned off when the mercy rule goes into effect.  In which case why have a clock at all?

3 hours ago, mcpapa said:

A shot clock will increase the number and scope of blowouts. Unless it is turned off when the mercy rule goes into effect.  In which case why have a clock at all?

Great point.  Unintended consequences for sure.

10 hours ago, LethalPG said:

I like it resetting every quarter, but there is an element of excitement gone late with the 1 and 1!

I like as well but I would tweak it and have the bonus come back and be applied after 5 fouls each quarter then go to 2-shots on the 7th foul.

12 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something that MUST happen. 

Without a doubt. Too many games (really every team sport but Football), seasons start about 2-3 weeks too early. Start football on August 1st, fall sports on November 1st, Spring sports on March 1st. Basketball and baseball should play 20-24 games not including post season. These are the easy fixes. Addressing the post season, especially the district/region set up should be looked at, as well as classing basketball and all other non classed sports.

  • Author
19 hours ago, se7ens said:

I think high school basketball has to adapt or suffer. I think there are two crises - shortage of officials (plus an aging population of them) and the competition of other sports including club sports and prep schools. 

I think shortening the schedule helps with both. I would also incentivize teams forgoing a district schedule so we don't have obligatory massive blowouts. Those games help absolutely no one and drain resources that are becoming much more valuable. 

Lessen the overlap with sports, lower the strain on officials, decrease the number of blowouts, and create opportunity for innovation in the post-season. We need to move on from the current model of everyone participating in the district tournaments and then flowing into a blind draw 8 team regional. I don't know what the perfect model is but the current one is antiquated. However, any new model should have an end result of an unchanged Sweet 16 (with the exception that I would be open to listen about seeding the Sweet 16).

I also think we have to overhaul and add structure to the freshmen and JV formats. Ohio has a quarter count (or at least they did when I coached) where a kid can only play so many quarters across all three levels in one night. I also think you mass schedule freshmen games regionally so the same crew of officials can cover them all - will increase consistency and quality. 

Just some ideas to start with.

 

I would be totally against the seeding process at State.  Seeding is usually based on someone's perception.  Who would do the seeding?  Would this eliminate the opportunity for a great run by a team that the "experts" may have overlooked?

  • Author

Without naming any particular schools, what about separating Private Schools from Public Schools?

53 minutes ago, Joe LeDuc said:

Without naming any particular schools, what about separating Private Schools from Public Schools?

What would you do with the "independent" school districts that have just 1 school?

54 minutes ago, Joe LeDuc said:

Without naming any particular schools, what about separating Private Schools from Public Schools?

Na.... 

12 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I like as well but I would tweak it and have the bonus come back and be applied after 5 fouls each quarter then go to 2-shots on the 7th foul.

For the single bonus, it would have to be 3 or 4 fouls; you would never see the double bonus with 7 fouls. I would say 4 fouls is the single bonus, 6 being the double. 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.