Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

High School basketball changes

Featured Replies

1 hour ago, Joe LeDuc said:

Without naming any particular schools, what about separating Private Schools from Public Schools?

Harlan County vs Lyon County last year in the State Championship... it's not always about the transfers. 

  • Replies 58
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • ChickenWyngz
    ChickenWyngz

    Kentucky needs to morph to more of the Ohio or Indiana timeline on seasons. Condense them, less games, and have less overlapping into other sports seasons. This isn't just basketball, but is something

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    Not that my support actually matters, but I refuse to support RPI as a model for anything until they fix the out of state problem. Full stop. 

  • This is a big one. I think about 24 total regular season games would be more than enough.

2 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Harlan County vs Lyon County last year in the State Championship... it's not always about the transfers. 

Does the 8th region have Private schools that have came in to specialize in being a basketball power?

1 minute ago, LethalPG said:

Does the 8th region have Private schools that have came in to specialize in being a basketball power?

There are two independents in the 32nd District: Williamstown and Walton-Verona. WV won the region in 2019, and had just a few semifinal appearances following. Williamstown has not been a legitimate threat to the region for many years. 

Outside of that, there is nothing. As mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, what do we consider independent schools in this case? I believe they must accept all kids inside their school district, but outsiders pay (and be accepted) to attend. Is this correct?

Just now, Adrian Woj Burner said:

There are two independents in the 32nd District: Williamstown and Walton-Verona. WV won the region in 2019, and had just a few semifinal appearances following. Williamstown has not been a legitimate threat to the region for many years. 

Outside of that, there is nothing. As mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, what do we consider independent schools in this case? I believe they must accept all kids inside their school district, but outsiders pay (and be accepted) to attend. Is this correct?

I think DCA is a little different case than Williamstown and Walton-Verona (No offense to either).  I'm not familiar with the whole process, but this a tuition based situation.  I do think the boys teams in the 12th region have had success competing because of the physicality of males, but the girls teams it has been a rout the last two seasons with the dominant size they have possessed.  I look forward to seeing the Dragons play them because of their style of play. 

21 hours ago, se7ens said:

I think high school basketball has to adapt or suffer. I think there are two crises - shortage of officials (plus an aging population of them) and the competition of other sports including club sports and prep schools. 

I think shortening the schedule helps with both. I would also incentivize teams forgoing a district schedule so we don't have obligatory massive blowouts. Those games help absolutely no one and drain resources that are becoming much more valuable. 

Lessen the overlap with sports, lower the strain on officials, decrease the number of blowouts, and create opportunity for innovation in the post-season. We need to move on from the current model of everyone participating in the district tournaments and then flowing into a blind draw 8 team regional. I don't know what the perfect model is but the current one is antiquated. However, any new model should have an end result of an unchanged Sweet 16 (with the exception that I would be open to listen about seeding the Sweet 16).

I also think we have to overhaul and add structure to the freshmen and JV formats. Ohio has a quarter count (or at least they did when I coached) where a kid can only play so many quarters across all three levels in one night. I also think you mass schedule freshmen games regionally so the same crew of officials can cover them all - will increase consistency and quality. 

Just some ideas to start with.

 

It was 6 qtrs a night in Ohio back in early 2000's when I played not sure if that's the case anymore, but I agree on that.

The 12th Region has become a hot bed for Christian Schools.  DCA, Somerset Christian and Trinity Christian are all I-20 schools that can utilize the ability to bring foreigners into their school.  DCA has capitalized on this opportunity (smartly) as has Somerset Christian to a lesser extent.  Trinity Christian hasn't thus far.    

10 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

I think DCA is a little different case than Williamstown and Walton-Verona (No offense to either).  I'm not familiar with the whole process, but this a tuition based situation.  I do think the boys teams in the 12th region have had success competing because of the physicality of males, but the girls teams it has been a rout the last two seasons with the dominant size they have possessed.  I look forward to seeing the Dragons play them because of their style of play. 

Correct, DCA is a private school. That means that they can either accept or deny anyone, no matter where they reside. 

I have looked into Walton-Verona Independent Schools. If you reside in their school district, you must show proof of residency (just like any other school). If you are out of district, you must apply. The superintendent/board must approve each out-of-district student, and this approval has to be renewed every year. The tuition for these students is $2,100 a year. 

Just now, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Correct, DCA is a private school. That means that they can either accept or deny anyone, no matter where they reside. 

I have looked into Walton-Verona Independent Schools. If you reside in their school district, you must show proof of residency (just like any other school). If you are out of district, you must apply. The superintendent/board must approve each out-of-district student, and this approval has to be renewed every year. The tuition for these students is $2,100 a year. 

To summarize this, if an independent school wanted to get transfers for basketball, they probably could. I am sure it has happened before, and will probably happen again. If they were to seperate the private and public schools (boo), you would have to consider the independents private in my opinion. 

Eminence is also an independent school district. Independent school districts are not private. If you live within the school district boundary, you can go to the school for free. If you don’t, you apply and pay tuition.

Campbell County actually has three [Campbell has five] different independent school districts within the county. Kenton County has four. The ninth region has a plethora (3 Amigos) of private and independent schools.

22 minutes ago, PP1 said:

Eminence is also an independent school district. Independent school districts are not private. If you live within the school district boundary, you can go to the school for free. If you don’t, you apply and pay tuition.

Campbell County actually has three different independent school districts within the county. Kenton County has four. The ninth region has a plethora (3 Amigos) of private and independent schools.

Heck, Campbell County has 5 independent school districts plus the county! Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Fort Thomas, and Southgate (no high school). Of course, there also used to be Silver Grove.

The Northern Kentucky independent districts, when it comes to sports, have had their fair share of winners and losers from sport to sport. What do I mean by that? Highlands, a prominent school in a wealthy independent district, is overall an athletic juggernaut. Holmes, with a larger but much different economically and socially situated population base, struggles athletically today. Beechwood has had vast athletic success while Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow etc... can do well against similarly sized schools but don't compete like Beechwood does. 

I bring this all up to say that there seems to be some sort of"othering" with schools like Walton, Beechwood, Highlands etc... I don't think you can tie that to the type of district they are in. I think you tie that to where they are. And I don't think that's anything to be regulated.

3 hours ago, Joe LeDuc said:

I would be totally against the seeding process at State.  Seeding is usually based on someone's perception.  Who would do the seeding?  Would this eliminate the opportunity for a great run by a team that the "experts" may have overlooked?

We already dictate the football playoffs (in a limited way) by formula. Now, I think there is a lot more room for inaccuracy in basketball, especially since you have one pool of competition and not 6. But when you look at the questions surrounding seeding, a big one for me is what is healthier for the sport: the two best teams playing in a first round game on a Thursday morning or them meeting in the title game?

RPI for basketball should have portion dedicated to "Region Wins".  Right now, it's more geared towards just winning regardless of who you play.  Teams should be rewarded for scheduling and winning regional games.  Here's a true scenario this season between teams in same region that had identical W/L records- Team A played softer schedule with limited region wins, while Team B played tougher schedule with 8 more in region wins.  Team A was ahead in the RPI.  Make it make sense. 

4 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

RPI for basketball should have portion dedicated to "Region Wins".  Right now, it's more geared towards just winning regardless of who you play.  Teams should be rewarded for scheduling and winning regional games.  Here's a true scenario this season between teams in same region that had identical W/L records- Team A played softer schedule with limited region wins, while Team B played tougher schedule with 8 more in region wins.  Team A was ahead in the RPI.  Make it make sense. 

I'm not sure I can go for this one. 

Campbell County scheduling all 10th region teams shouldn't carry more weight than CovCath scheduling all of the 9th. 

8 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I'm not sure I can go for this one. 

Campbell County scheduling all 10th region teams shouldn't carry more weight than CovCath scheduling all of the 9th. 

I didn't mean statewide.  I meant for each individual region.  It should carry weight who's willing to schedule/win games against their regional teams IMO.  

3 hours ago, Joe LeDuc said:

I would be totally against the seeding process at State.  Seeding is usually based on someone's perception.  Who would do the seeding?  Would this eliminate the opportunity for a great run by a team that the "experts" may have overlooked?

That's not quite correct. Seedingis usually based on some sort of criteria, starting with head to head matchups, and/or common opponents. Throw in thing like strength of schedule, or other common criteria, and seeding can be almost completely objective. Random draws, which are based on when your name gets pulled out of a hat are far more chaotic, and devalue a team's body of work throughout the regular season.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.