Kentucky Hires Mark Pope

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I mean seriously, this is AWESOME!!!!!

The Pelphrey story makes me watery eyed…

This is UK, Let’s GO!!!!

This is just pure class by Ricky P, love it!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am more excited for next year with Pope and without knowing one person who will be on the UK roster, then I would have been with Calipari and one of the best recruiting classes in the nation.

100% with you on this!!

1 hour ago, Oldercoach said:

Absolutely love his game and love my Cats; but if he is lottery pick, he’s got to go.  Or, is Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs 100% correct.

I 100% cannot see what Sheppard can do to improve his draft stock more than it is right now.  I don't think I've seen him projected below 7th in any mock, and currently as high as 3rd.  This is a very weak class - he could have a great year next year at Kentucky and slide backward.

By far one of the things I respected most about Cal is that he put the player's future above everything else.  Yes, it was frustrating at times.  But he knew that most likely they'd harm themselves to pass on the opportunity, and he forced them to make the right choice.  Sheppard needs to go (even though frankly, he isn't NBA ready).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

I 100% cannot see what Sheppard can do to improve his draft stock more than it is right now.  I don't think I've seen him projected below 7th in any mock, and currently as high as 3rd.  This is a very weak class - he could have a great year next year at Kentucky and slide backward.

By far one of the things I respected most about Cal is that he put the player's future above everything else.  Yes, it was frustrating at times.  But he knew that most likely they'd harm themselves to pass on the opportunity, and he forced them to make the right choice.  Sheppard needs to go (even though frankly, he isn't NBA ready).

If his goal is to play in the NBA while getting drafted high, agree with you now is the time.  However, he may have higher desires toward Self Actualization.  Would never 2nd guess his decision because none of us are in his head.  Just as none of us should criticize Scott Drew’s decision that a bigger pile of money would help him realize what motivates his life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I saw a great line about the hiring of Mark Pope. Most people believe in his X's and O's but can he get the Jimmy and Joes. That's a pretty good one.

He put together a roster that beat: San Diego State, NC State, Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas (on the road), Texas and TCU, while dealing with having the recruiting restrictions brought on by BYU's code of conduct.  He can put together a roster that can win at Kentucky.  BYU had 6 Quad 1 wins last season, the same as UK.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonFire said:

If Sheppard does choose to go to the NBA this year. Should we blame Calipari for recruiting a kid that cared more about going to the NBA than the name Kentucky across his jersey? If Sheppard cares more about the name across the jersey, then he will be back. At least that is what people like to say. 

Which btw I 100% hope he is back, but I wouldn’t blame him one bit for leaving with him looking to be a lottery pick. 

With the NBA pay structure as out of whack as it is, if you are a projected lottery pick, go.   A thoroughly ridiculous max contract is only a few years away.  I mean NO gave Zion a max deal and he's missed most of his career.   Not making that kind of coin with NIL.

• Like 1

As I've got a chance to study Pope's resume and what next year looked like at UK with Cal, I am genuinely happy with the move. Next year was going to be ugly. Cal was still stuck in his one and done ststem. He would have played a bunch of freshmen. That would have equalled ten losses or more and the fans would have been in full revolt on every loss. Plus this season's offensive guru John Welch was not coming back. It would have been a complete downer of a season and UK would have been looking for a coach next year while paying Cal his $30M.

• Like 2