Open Job: Holmes

46 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I'd love to see Sam get this job, and I'm sure he's envisioned himself as the HC at Holmes at some point in time. However, despite all that, I'm not sure he'd want this job or if it would be a good idea for him to take this job right now. 

I don’t know Sam but he isn’t exactly Red Auerbach.  He isn’t in a position in his career to say “ no not at this time.”  If he ever wants it, now is when he can get it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

I don’t know Sam but he isn’t exactly Red Auerbach.  He isn’t in a position in his career to say “ no not at this time.”  If he ever wants it, now is when he can get it. 

I don't disagree, at least with the "time is now" part. I do believe he could get a better job than what Holmes is right now. 

Sam did a great job as the girls coach at Bracken County.  He coached Bracken girls for two seasons and Pendleton boys for four seasons.  You can’t just look at the record because at neither place was he lucky to have a talent.  He will put in the work and in my opinion the #1 person Holmes should offer the job to.    

• Like 1

A snippet of Holmes athletics dating Back to 2015:

Boys Basketball - 64-146 and ZERO District Tournament Wins

Football - 43-54 and ONE playoff victory

Baseball - 62-176 and ZERO District Tournament Wins against Beechwood, CovCath or Holy Cross

Boys Soccer - 46-103-8 and ZERO District Tournament Wins against Beechwood, CovCath or HC

Girls Soccer - 11-64-3 with many unreported games and zero district tournament wins against B, CC, HC

Volleyball - 43-189 with zero district tournament wins against B, CC, or HC

Girls Basketball - 116-145 with a massive drop occurring after 17-18 season. Since then 37-126.

Softball - 48-137

I have no idea if he would be interested or not. However, a good young coach that I believe could be a good hire if he is looking to be a head coach is Dan Penick. I could be wrong but I believe he teaches at Holmes right now, and has been an assistant basketball coach at Ludlow first under Dan Sullivan and now Aaron Stamm. He is a guy I believe would connect really well with the players and would get players out. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 9:53 AM, Tranquility Base said:

My first call would be to Tim Sullivan.  At this point, I don't think he walks away from Cooper, but he is a Holmes alum a proven winner and a great coach.  He at least deserves the CHHS administration's attention.

So what you are saying is "The right of first refusal."

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 10:47 PM, Tranquility Base said:

If you're Holmes, you never know until you ask.

Again, Holmes absolutely blew it the first time with Sullivan when he was ready to “come home” to his alma mater. Then the story repeated itself with Johnson. 
I wish them well but it would be insulting to call Sullivan “now” when the program is absolutely decimated and ask him to come save what many view as a sinking ship. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Sixer said:

Again, Holmes absolutely blew it the first time with Sullivan when he was ready to “come home” to his alma mater. Then the story repeated itself with Johnson. 
I wish them well but it would be insulting to call Sullivan “now” when the program is absolutely decimated and ask him to come save what many view as a sinking ship. 

Just my 2 cents. 

I'd be shocked to see Sully leave Cooper for this job, and while I agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, all of those good, "coming home" vibes are surely gone by now. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I'd be shocked to see Sully leave Cooper for this job, and while I agree that it certainly doesn't hurt to ask, all of those good, "coming home" vibes are surely gone by now. 

Agree. Conner more likely than Holmes but stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, I gotta go to work said:

Agree. Conner more likely than Holmes but stranger things have happened.

I think that would be pretty strange too. Lateral move at best, to a school right down the road from where he's at. Wouldn't make any sense.

My best guess is this will be Elsbernd’s job. He will be the applicant with the most experience and also coached on a state title Holmes team. 

Don’t overthink it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TribeTime said:

My best guess is this will be Elsbernd’s job. He will be the applicant with the most experience and also coached on a state title Holmes team. 

Don’t overthink it. 

Should have been Johnson or Elsbernd two years ago or stick with Carr, but the admin went with Perkins which everyone knew was a mistake from the moment it happened. Not a lot of confidence based on that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Why leave a program you built from day one to fix a train wreck? That going home concept is no longer applicable.