Open Job: Holmes

Holmes has been in similar spots before, but maybe not as bleak.  I hope someone has the courage to put the work in and find the diamonds in the rough.  Glad we can discuss the rumors and what-ifs about Holmes versus other school situations.  Its makes this blog interesting.  What is the difference between Covington Holmes and Covington Catholic conversations?

7 hours ago, CVG said:

Holmes has been in similar spots before, but maybe not as bleak.  I hope someone has the courage to put the work in and find the diamonds in the rough.  Glad we can discuss the rumors and what-ifs about Holmes versus other school situations.  Its makes this blog interesting.  What is the difference between Covington Holmes and Covington Catholic conversations?

I think the only thing the present programs have in common is the word “Covington”.  Historically they both have had waves of success and pride in playing competitively against the strongest of opponents.  Today’s programs are sadly heading in opposite directions.  It will take an outstanding Coach to recruit those hallways to bring the Bulldogs back to 9th Region preeminence.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CVG said:

I hear what you are saying but the difference is pretty clear - Holmes is officially open and Covington Catholic still very much has a coach.

Also I am starting to think about another name very familiar to this district who has had some wonderful rebuilds - Erik Goetz.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mcpapa said:

It wasn't all that long ago (think Beetle Bolden) that Holmes was a very tough out,  And state champs in 2009, I believe.

Correct, State Champs 2009, State Runner up in 2008, and Final Four in 2007.

Region Champs 2013

Region Runner up in 2014 and 2015.

2015 was their last Region appearance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:32 PM, I gotta go to work said:

Region Champs 2013

2005 Region Champs as well with Duran Jefferson, Austin Hill, Nate Edmondson, and Greg Rice as sophomores. Doubt we ever see another run like that again from Holmes. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:32 PM, I gotta go to work said:

Region Champs 2013

Holmes played in three straight final fours from 2007-2009. No school has done it since. I am not sure when it happened last before then, but I would think it is not something you have seen very often over the course of the state tournament. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walter said:

2005 Region Champs as well with Duran Jefferson, Austin Hill, Nate Edmondson, and Greg Rice as sophomores. Doubt we ever see another run like that again from Holmes. 

Played against that whole bunch growing up in AAU.  What a fantastic group of players!

• Like 1