Tennessee 103 Kentucky 92

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Last night is a great example of why Reed is absolutely NOT the answer at PG. 

He is a perfect case of if he weren’t a local kid, nobody would any him on the floor. He simply is not athletic enough, nor does he have the killer instinct to play PG at a high level. Insinuating he should play over Wagner is an attempt to stir the pot, period. 

That is laughable, he is plenty athletic and his competitive instincts are second to none, Wagner is lacking in both of those things you mentioned.

19 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

That is laughable, he is plenty athletic and his competitive instincts are second to none, Wagner is lacking in both of those things you mentioned.

You said DJ Wagner is lacking in athleticism lol…

• Like 2

Reed is is a very good player with high IQ. He’d play anywhere as a freshman. He isn’t a lottery pick like media is saying but he’s as good as Wagner. He’s no more a liability than anyone else on the team. To say it’s only bc he is a Kentucky kid is a stupid take. We saw what happened with D Allen. If Reed wasn’t good enough he’d be on the bench. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

He's so much better than I ever expected he would be.  I'm tickled he's been so good because I love the Kentucky kids.  He can, I think, spell Wagner and provide limited PG minutes.  But he can't log a bunch of minutes at the point.  And while Wagner has flaws in his game, he's the only true point guard on this team.

I love Reed Sheppard. I think he's a phenomenal additional to this Wildcat team. Totally agree with you RP! Such a stud off the bench.

It's a shame that people let their agenda for him take over their view of him, his capabilities, and this team.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Reed is is a very good player with high IQ. He’d play anywhere as a freshman. He isn’t a lottery pick like media is saying but he’s as good as Wagner. He’s no more a liability than anyone else on the team. To say it’s only bc he is a Kentucky kid is a stupid take. We saw what happened with D Allen. If Reed wasn’t good enough he’d be on the bench. 

I really enjoy what Reed Sheppard has brought to this team and glad he's a Wildcat. He's had some great moments this year. But I've seen a lot of "what the heck" moments from him, especially on D. He is a massive liability on D in the college game, which was hidden when he was an after thought off the bench and been getting abused when he started getting 30 mins a game.

Idk why we are constantly pinning UK players against each other but only one is 0-3 as the starting PG at Rupp and it ain't Wagner.

• Like 2

This is the last thing to close the Reed Sheppard commentary since he has become the lightning rod of this thread. He is not the problem with this team, but he isn't the solution. Both of those statements can be true.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Last night is a great example of why Reed is absolutely NOT the answer at PG. 

He is a perfect case of if he weren’t a local kid, nobody would any him on the floor. He simply is not athletic enough, nor does he have the killer instinct to play PG at a high level. Insinuating he should play over Wagner is an attempt to stir the pot, period. 

Only one person trying to stir the pot with this comment.  Waggener and Sheppard are totally different players.  IF you want a penetrating guard, Waggener is your guy.  If you want a set it up and get everyone involved Shepperd maybe be better.  I think they play well together.  

I don't think this team has had to play without Shepperd this year, so we don't know what that will look like.  I do think Shep is a defensive liability (he ball watches too much) but all of them could improve.

I am sure that U of L would love to have either one of them!

1 hour ago, okie1 said:

Only one person trying to stir the pot with this comment.  Waggener and Sheppard are totally different players.  IF you want a penetrating guard, Waggener is your guy.  If you want a set it up and get everyone involved Shepperd maybe be better.  I think they play well together.  

I don't think this team has had to play without Shepperd this year, so we don't know what that will look like.  I do think Shep is a defensive liability (he ball watches too much) but all of them could improve.

I am sure that U of L would love to have either one of them!

Wagner is the better player, outside of shooting. There's really no debating that, IMO. 

44 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Wagner is the better player, outside of shooting. There's really no debating that, IMO. 

Wagner will have an NBA career along the same path as Quickley.    Wagner is a legit threat to carry a college team to the FInal 4.  As a "non" UK fan one of the things that strikes me is this - If this team becomes 100% healthy who loses playing time?  Does that have a negative effect on that player?

Also, what happened to Big Z?  Is he truly that bad he cannot help at all?   

4 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

Wagner will have an NBA career along the same path as Quickley.    Wagner is a legit threat to carry a college team to the FInal 4.  As a "non" UK fan one of the things that strikes me is this - If this team becomes 100% healthy who loses playing time?  Does that have a negative effect on that player?

Also, what happened to Big Z?  Is he truly that bad he cannot help at all?   

The backcourt has been healthy so we've seen how those numbers go. The Edwards/Thiero spot and Onyenso/Bradshaw minutes are fluid, I'd say, with Onyenso being in the driver's seat at this point.

And Big Z just isn't ready. He made some plays in the first game, but that is about all he has given UK. Believe he was sick on Saturday and why he didn't see any action.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...