Boyle County vs. Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates (4A State Championship)

Who wins?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Boyle County (14-0)
    • Covington Catholic (14-0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2023 at 01:00 AM

With a combined 118 seasons of football, 22 state finals appearances, and 19 state titles between the two programs, it comes as a bit of a surprise that Boyle County and Covington Catholic have never faced one another on the gridiron. This Friday that comes to an end when the 14-0 Rebels and the 14-0 Colonels will face off in the 4A championship game at Kroger Field in Lexington.

For Boyle, this will make their fourth-straight trip to Kroger Field, with the Rebels fighting to defend their back-to-back-to-back 4A titles. Led by senior quarterback Sage Dawson, an Air Force commit, and the Rebels duo of utility-men, junior Montavin Quisenberry (1300+ yards offense, 45+ tackles) and senior Avery Bodner (1300+ yards offense, 75+ tackles), Boyle County has been favored for the 4A title in rankings from the very beginning of the season. Their road to the finals was paved with two-straight wins over undefeated 4A opponents, with a 21-14 win over 12-0 Corbin in the quarterfinals, and a 41-14 win over 13-0 Franklin County on Friday night.

For Cov Cath, this will mark the Colonels return to Kroger Field after a three year absence. The Colonels last trip to the finals came in 2019, when they made their third-straight trip to the 5A finals and brought home their program's eighth state championship with a 14-7 win over Frederick Douglass. The Colonels are led by senior quarterback Evan Pitzer, senior TE/LB Willie Rodriguez, a Kentucky commit (485 yards offense, 12 touchdowns, 40 tackles), senior RB Owen Leen (800+ yards offense, 13 TDs), senior WR/DB Braylon Miller (1000+ yards offense, 10 touchdowns), and junior LB Tate Kruer (109 tackles, 2 sacks). Covington Catholic's road to the finals was paved with a 31-0 shutout of 9-3 Johnson Central and a 22-14 win over 13-0 Paducah-Tilghman on Friday night.

Who wins this battle for the 4A title on Friday night in Lexington?

409447112_BoyleCountyvsCovingtonCatholic.thumb.jpg.7caba8884f2881803a9cdc6f814d397d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Boyle has too much speed at WR for Cov Cath, and the Rebel Defense has been playing lights out all year. Boyle will win another state title this year and people will need to start comparing how this era of dominance matches up with their run in the late 90's/early 00's.

Boyle 36

Cov Cath 14

• Like 2

I think Boyle County wins, they have been very good all season and I really believe they are the best team in the state of everyone. I also believe Covington Catholic is very good and that their defense is great. I don’t think this is going to be lopsided. Good luck to both teams!

• Like 1

Cov Cath is going to have to run the ball and control the TOP.  Rodriguez will be a bigger factor on defense than anything and will be counted on to be special on that side of the ball if they want to win.  Pitzer ran over the best player in the state Friday night for the go ahead touchdown, but he hasn't played a complete team as good as Boyle.  Cov Cath has to play a perfect football game, but I think Boyle wins another one.  Boyle wins a close won or a blow out, but Boyle wins.

• Like 1