Frederick Douglass at Male Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Frederick Douglass (7-4)
    • Male (11-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/18/2023 at 12:00 AM

The Bulldogs found themselves in for what most would consider a surprising position in the first half of their game on Friday night, twice trailing to Fern Creek before tying the game up at 7 and then tying it up again at 14 just before halftime. But when Fern Creek's workhorse, Mykel Malone exited the game injured in the first drive of the second half, the Bulldogs kept pouring it on and sent the Tigers home with a 34-14 loss.

Douglass didn't have the same struggle in their Friday night match up, controlling the game and sending Madison Central home with a 50-7 loss.

The Broncos entered the 2023 season as the top-touted squad in 6A football, with many expecting Douglass to run away with the 6A title in their first season in the state's largest football class. Their season opener tempered many, with Douglass being shellacked 45-6 by Archbishop Hoban (OH). But Douglass rebounded to beat Trinity 17-14 the following week, as well as 6A power Bryan Station on October 14th. They lost three more games this season, to 4A Corbin, 4A Boyle County, and Indiana powerhouse Indy Cathedral. QB Jaxon Strautman has found his stride, with 1300 yards and 15 touchdowns passing this season, and running by committee by Derion Talbert, Pharo Watts, TayTay Allen, Strautman, and Dakari Talbert, Derion Talbert leads the receiving corps for Douglass with Aveion Chenualt and Cooper Ranvier also racking up receiving yards for Douglass. On defense, Darion Neal, Kayden Clay, Logan Busson, JaQuan Rufus and EJ Clinkscale all have tallied more than 20 solo tackles each.

Male's QB, Kolter Smith, has racked up over 2100 passing yards this season, bringing a major air assault with the Bulldog offense. Max Gainey and Antonio Harris are his favorite receiving targets with over 1500 yards and 30 touchdowns between the two. And Male has a duo of dangerous running backs in Chayce Burton and Shammai Gates, who combine for over 1300 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns between the pair. On defense, junior linebacker Solomon Conley leads the team with 38 solo tackles and senior linebacker Kevin Wilson has 29 solo tackles of his own. Senior DB Brenden Bates also leads the team with 4 interceptions and 2 pick-sixes in his 7 games played this season. Male's one loss this season came at the hands of St. Xavier back on September 1st.

Who wins and advances to the semifinals in this first-ever meeting between Male and Douglass?

0HWlr8s.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One impressive stat for the Broncos is that Frederick Douglass is playing in their 5th straight Regional Championship game. They have won the previous 4 times.  This will be I think the toughest of the 5 in my opinion. Go Broncos!

Male is playing probably the best ball in the state in 6A along with Trinity. They do have a common regular season opponent in Trinity. The Broncos defeated Trinity 17-14 on Aug. 26th at Trinity.  Male defeated Trinity 37-20 at Male on Sept. 15th.

• Like 2

If Male should win, does this tarnish the FD hype train? They won 5A  last year in impressive fashion, but all we hear about them is how much of a powerhouse they are in their very short history (credit to all FDs to compete that quickly). If Male should lose does the HC start feeling a “hot seat”? 4 losses in a row in the finals, then this potential loss. I’m taking Male personally, but just a conversation to be had any way.

4 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

If Male should win, does this tarnish the FD hype train? They won 5A  last year in impressive fashion, but all we hear about them is how much of a powerhouse they are in their very short history (credit to all FDs to compete that quickly).

Not sure how it would tarnish anything really. They are playing in the 5th straight Regional Championship. This is the first time in their 7th year history they have been allowed to go out and schedule more than 1 game due to restrictions placed on them by FCPS.  This year they went out and scheduled one of the top teams in the state of Ohio who at one time this season was ranked #28 Nationally. The scheduled one of the top 5 teams in Indiana whose QB has signed to play with Deion at Colorado. They also scheduled what many would consider 3 of the top 5 or 6 teams in the entire state in Trinity, Corbin (both on the road) and Boyle Co. at home. Plus throw in Bryan Station at Station as well.

I think no matter if they win or lose this next sentence is the most important. In their first 6 seasons before this season their players have received over $5 Million in Athletic Scholarships.

On sites like this (if you don't believe me go back in past threads and look) which I love by the way. They are to me they are a lot like Kentucky Basketball if they win no one says much or say well they should win they have the talent. However, when they lose people come out of the woodwork to say how did they lose or if they get an unsportsmanlike penalty, they are undisciplined and so on. In their first 6 years they have won 4 straight regional titles. They have made it to at least the state quarterfinals in 5 of their first 6 seasons. They had a 4-year span from 2019-2022 where they were 49-5 played in state championship games winning won and the other was a state semifinal. In the history of the program, they 77-13 for a winning % of .856. They are 32-0 all-time vs. both public and private schools in Fayette Co. In closing sure, they would have like to win another state title or two. I know there are a few programs in the state that has as good a 7-year run or better, but I think there is lot of programs in the state that would take the Frederick Douglass numbers. 

In closing my post if or when Douglass would lose this year, they (players, coaches, administrators, and support personal) will be disappointed, but when those seniors go on and get a free college education, we will be happy and proud of their accomplishments. Then they will work on getting ready for next season and promoting their kids to try for another state title and get them a college education and scholarship. I feel better now. lol Best of luck to both teams they both have had a great season.

• Like 6