Frederick Douglass at Male Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Frederick Douglass (7-4)
    • Male (11-1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/18/2023 at 12:00 AM

1 hour ago, Breds82 said:

If Male should win, does this tarnish the FD hype train? They won 5A  last year in impressive fashion, but all we hear about them is how much of a powerhouse they are in their very short history (credit to all FDs to compete that quickly). If Male should lose does the HC start feeling a “hot seat”? 4 losses in a row in the finals, then this potential loss. I’m taking Male personally, but just a conversation to be had any way.

I don't think it should tarnish the hype train just yet because the vast majority Douglass seniors and most important contributes are all playing in college right now, this should honestly be viewed morr like a rebuild year for them imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Breds82 said:

If Male should win, does this tarnish the FD hype train? They won 5A  last year in impressive fashion, but all we hear about them is how much of a powerhouse they are in their very short history (credit to all FDs to compete that quickly). If Male should lose does the HC start feeling a “hot seat”? 4 losses in a row in the finals, then this potential loss. I’m taking Male personally, but just a conversation to be had any way.

After their scheduling restrictions were lifted, FD went out and did exactly what many hoped they would… Beef up their schedule. That’s been the knock. They have a gaudy record that does them no favors when it comes playoff time.

Obviously, their record isn’t as good as years past, but I think it would have been pretty naive to assume they would have the same success in their first year in 6A, and with a much tougher schedule. 

Despite their struggles this season, they are still very much a factor in the 6A playoff picture, and I don’t think anybody would be shocked if they were able to win 6A. Falling short of that, though, would not tarnish anything for them IMO. 

• Like 5

FD is much better than their record. I think this game is going to be close and would not be suprised if FD won. This game will come down to which Douglass team shows up and who wins the turnover battle. I also think the team that can run the ball wins.

• Like 5

Just now, coachhawk said:

FD is much better than their record. I think this game is going to be close and would not be suprised if FD won. This game will come down to which Douglass team shows up and who wins the turnover battle. I also think the team that can run the ball wins.

I agree and I will say the same about Male and the majority of teams anymore, it depends on which team shows up and turnovers. 

10 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

first year in 6A

This is actually their 3rd year in 6A they were put in 6A by the KHSAA when the school opened for the 2017 and 2018 season even though the only had 815 total students in 2017 and 920 in 2018. In 2017 they reached the 6A quarterfinals or regional championship game and in 2018 they lost by 1 point to Scott Co. in the 2nd round in 2018 when Scott Co. went to the finals and lost to Male.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I don't think Coach Wolfe would be on hot seat if lost, In 6A, very hard to win because when St. X and Trinity are good enough to be in championship they are very good. Last year, Bullitt East had a special season. Male did win in 2018. I don't see coach that has championship and 4 runner ups catching much heat.

• Like 3

I think this is the showdown everyone wanted to see when FD was first announced was moving up to 6A. The Lexington "public" school vs the Louisville "public" school. I think Male is on a mission this year and is looking to make a statement. Also from what I've seen, I don't think FD does enough offensively to do much to the Male Defense, which is one of the best in the state. I think Male wins 24-14. 

• Like 2