Continuation of the "CCH dominating NKY" debate

jbwill2

For the record, this Highlands parent believes that it is up to the parent to teach morals and ethics to their child. Schools need to stick to Math, Science, English, and History.

Shouldn't teachers also help with teaching good morals through instruction in/on the classroom/field and also by being good role models?

Shouldn't teachers also help with teaching good morals through instruction in/on the classroom/field and also by being good role models?

Of course I expect teachers to have good morals and behave in a manner of being respectful. But I feel it is the parents job to instill respect and being respectful and all that goes with good morals to their children.

Of course I expect teachers to have good morals and behave in a manner of being respectful. But I feel it is the parents job to instill respect and being respectful and all that goes with good morals to their children.

Agree:thumb:

Agree:thumb:

I have a question for you fp30. What if the parents aren't getting the job done? What if a parent allows their child to act in a criminal, disrespectful manner both in school and around the community? Is the teacher just supposed to write the child off, or should the teacher maybe try to instill some values that the child isn't getting at home. If mom and dad smoke weed or cook meth in front of their children, does it make it right since they are raising their children the way they want to? I certainly hope not.:argue:

There are parents that simply are not getting the job done in the area of respect and morals.

To all "parents need to be more responsible", please described the number of households in Kentucky, today that have 2 parents under one roof. Also, please detail the percentage of single parent household and the failure of the state to enforce child support for single parent household (who I think some on here are expected to earn a living) and that percent is at or below the poverty level.

Hate to say this but everytime someone says parents, is sadly referrring to a declining percentage of our society.

I have to disagree with the premise that it's only up to the parents of a child to teach ethics and morals. I believe it's up to us, as a society to do so. I also believe this can be done without bringing religion into the process.

Essentially, morals and ethics are core values that everyone needs to learn. Where do we learn them? From each other. They are the basis of rules and policies.

We teach each other these basic principles primarily through example, and those who do not comply must bear consequences.

The fact that religiously affiliated schools seem to have better success in this are has nothing to do with the teaching of a specific religious curriculum, but with the ability to impose consequences and weave solid ethical thought processes into coursework.

Litigation of everyone's rights and legislation limiting public school's rights is where the breakdown occurs, IMO. The rights of the rebellious minority often supercedes the rights of the institution as a whole.

I believe all children have a right to be educated. But I don't believe that separate accommodation needs to be provided for every child that refuses to learn to simply behave or comply with school policies.

I know it's not a popular opinion that I hold, but I honestly feel that public education in the United States as a whole is bogged down and lagging because schools are limited in what they can do to address those who disrupt the process for the majority.

I understand what you are saying, but the bottom line is that there is "choice" and "and no choice". Privates can choose who they want, and the public schools have no choice in who they take.

Those that disrupt the process and are given consequences for their disruptions, even to the extent of expulsions and so forth, still have to be provided services by the public school in their district, unless the parent chooses to move.

There is due process with so many more hoops to jump through in the public sector, and not so many in the private.

Beechwood is its next door public neighbor. I wonder if it stuggles with morals, ethics, failing in its education efforts and does just a plain, horrible job or is this just another example of a real stereotype problem that is consistently laid out by this poster?

50% of the students eligible to attend Beechwood in Fort Mitchell attend private schools.

Just a fact to throw out there.