Title IX scheduling-Please Clarify

Correct me if I am wrong on any of the following information.Each school must schedule 40% of their HOME Girls games in prime time(Friday night or Saturday night-I've been informed that Sat. afternoon no longer counts as prime time).Also if there is a boys-girls doubleheader on those two nights and the girls play first this does not count towards the 40%.I've also been told that if the girls have a home 7:30 game on Friday or Saturday night and the boys play away on the same night this does not towards the 40%.Any clarification and/or more information would be appreciated.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of the following information.Each school must schedule 40% of their HOME Girls games in prime time(Friday night or Saturday night-I've been informed that Sat. afternoon no longer counts as prime time).Also if there is a boys-girls doubleheader on those two nights and the girls play first this does not count towards the 40%.I've also been told that if the girls have a home 7:30 game on Friday or Saturday night and the boys play away on the same night this does not towards the 40%.Any clarification and/or more information would be appreciated.

The commissioner addressed some of what you have asked in her January notes that can be found at http://www.khsaa.org. Especially the doubleheader.

From what I read in her notes, yes it can be counted as long as the 2nd time a DH occurs the girls play the 2nd game.

Also, I believe the girls have to be within 10% points of the % of home games the boys have on primetime. I got in trouble once because I had the same number of home games on PT nights as the boys did. Problem was my # of home games were a lot more than the boys meaning my % was a lot lower than the boys.

I do not believe whether the boys are playing away or not is relevent to counting it.

I wish they would Outlaw boy/girl DH. Oh I am sorry girl/boy DH. It kills the JV programs.

Schools could choose to have a V DH on a Friday night at A's home court, either Thursday night at B's home court, they will play a JV DH or Saturday at noonish.

It does not have to but it does take practice time away from those that play both JV/V.

At Southwestern last year there was some issue with girls to boys ratio on prime time nights. The KHSAA made the boys cancell a game. If Title ix is supposed to be equal for boys and girls then can someone explain to me why the girls didnt also lose a game?

The way I see it is that the boys basketball players got punished because the girls basketball coaches didnt schedule enough prime time games.

Thats a bunch of bull. I dont know of one school that plays boys basketball games on every friday and saturday throughout the year. There are ample dates available to play girls games on prime time.

At SW the boys basketball coach does not decide when the girls play. So why was his program punished and not the girls?

Thats a bunch of bull. I dont know of one school that plays boys basketball games on every friday and saturday throughout the year. There are ample dates available to play girls games on prime time.

At SW the boys basketball coach does not decide when the girls play. So why was his program punished and not the girls?

Actually there are not ample dates. If you schedule 5 home prime time dates then there is a great chance that you are going to have 5 away prime time dates paying back those that gave you the home PT games the previous season and will be your home PT games next season.

Add any a couple of tournaments that you might want to try to play in.

Add any trying to not conflict and play on the same night that the boys are playing, so that you can keep building school spirit for both teams.

And the schedule begins to get real tight as you add in weekend games in February in some sort of freshmen or JV tournament.

There are 13 weekends in the season, Dec through the weekend before districts which means only 26 nights of PT opportunities. Take out the weekend over the holidays because most of the teams are in a tournament somewhere and that is now 24 nights to squeeze in 20 nights of games that would mean NO conflicts between boys and girls. And that is assuming that your schedule just happens to setup with the 10 to 20 opponents that the boys/girls are playing.

And I have not even added in the weekend you lose for a freshmen regional/district tournament and/or another weekend for a junior varsity tournament.

So your claim of ample room to schedule games without conflict is not entirely accurate when you break it down as many Varsity coaches have to do.

And I will assume you didn't mean what can be read from your post that the girls should get the leftover nights after the boys have scheduled your game.

If anyone gets the blame in a SW situation that I don't know anything about, it would fall on the AD's shoulders who should be seeing that these situations don't occur causing the boys to have to cancel a game and the girls program gets the blame for it for those that are uninformed.

The commissioner addressed some of what you have asked in her January notes that can be found at http://www.khsaa.org. Especially the doubleheader.

From what I read in her notes, yes it can be counted as long as the 2nd time a DH occurs the girls play the 2nd game.

Also, I believe the girls have to be within 10% points of the % of home games the boys have on primetime. I got in trouble once because I had the same number of home games on PT nights as the boys did. Problem was my # of home games were a lot more than the boys meaning my % was a lot lower than the boys.

I do not believe whether the boys are playing away or not is relevent to counting it.

If I am not mistaken, the % of boys game compared to girls games has now been scrapped. I think the new rule states that girls must play 40% of home games in PT, regardless of what the boys team does.

i don't know how it is at most schools. but the times i've watched the doubleheader when the guys play first, most of the people leave after that game. how is that beneficial to girl's programs? seeing fans get up and walk out is good? is that not demoralizing to a girl on the court? seeing everyone leave like that? at least playing before they could see the crowd pile in for at least the 2nd half or 4th quarter.

In the 57th district, the girls and boys usually play each other on the same night. This is really hurting the JV programs of both teams. That's eight games that their JV programs lose. When you include all the tournaments that these programs are now playing in, many JV teams are only playing about 10-12 games in a season. I agree that the girls teams should have some prime time dates but there should be a better system than this in place.

i don't know how it is at most schools. but the times i've watched the doubleheader when the guys play first, most of the people leave after that game. how is that beneficial to girl's programs? seeing fans get up and walk out is good? is that not demoralizing to a girl on the court? seeing everyone leave like that? at least playing before they could see the crowd pile in for at least the 2nd half or 4th quarter.

I agree with you but why don't the boys crowd stay and support their girls? At our highschool our boys coach even took his boys home after the game and it was on a Friday night. (and the boy's wanted to stay) That really show's support when the coach leaves....:cry: