Anderson (OH) 44 South Oldham 15

Tought night for an exceptionally young and very inexperienced Dragon squad against a terrifically explosive passing attack from Anderson.

South entered the game with ZERO returning starters from the unit that started 2022, and a veteran Raptor passing attack exploited that inexperience all night.   Anderson never punted.

That said, the game was close at 14-7 midway through the second, when the Raptors scored, forced a punt and scored again, then scored seconds later after a South fumble on the ensuing kickoff.    That flurry of scoring over just 3 minutes and 3 seconds blew open an interesting chess game and left the visitors in control at the half, 37-7.

Till that point, South had pursued a patient plan to play "keep away", and the Dragons were doing a good job of it, dominating the clock with their running game.    Former SOHS great Keaton Martin's younger brother, sophomore Cole Greenwell (wearing his older brother's #21) revived some memories among the South faithful, rushing for 63 yards and an 18 yard TD in the first half as South dominated the time of possession.   The Dragons threw the ball just 3 times in the first half, with Nick Hamilton connecting on a 38 yard pass to Jacob Acevedo, but otherwise, the Dragons remained disciplined and sought to keep the ball out of the hands of Anderson's talented offense.   Greenwell finished - unofficially - with 82 yards on 23 carries and a score.   The Dragons, combined, rushed for 220 yards as they ran the ball 56 times on 59 plays from scrimmage.

Raptor junior QB Justice Burnam showed his experience and poise, repeatedly steering the defensive secondary by looking off his receivers then coming back to the opposite side of the field for wide-open completions against the Dragon zone.   Burnam - who didn't throw any interceptions - threw SIX touchdowns for the game as all six Raptor scores came through the air.   Four different receivers caught TDs.   Lots of credit has to go to the Anderson OL, which kept Burnam clean and unhurried.  In fact, Burnam was sacked just once on the night, when South edge rusher Jake Butler got to him.

The game was remarkably "clean" for a Week 1 game.    South had only three penalties for 20 yards, and - I wasn't keeping Anderson stats - I believe the Raptors only had 1 or 2 penalties.   The only turnover of the game was a South fumble on a kickoff return in the second period.

Honestly, this was a great first game - albeit painful - for this young South defense.   New coach Cain Sams has the Dragons in a 3-4 base "D", but he is working with youth - five juniors and four sophomores start, and none of the starters from Week 1 2022 are on the field.    Only two players had recorded any starts at all in 2022 - for nine of the defensive starters, it was their first-ever varsity start.

South stays at home next week as they host the Nelson County Cardinals.   

CM

• Like 2

Sammarco was a factor all night, but the Raptors really spread the ball around, connecting with 7 receivers.   Trace Jallick was really the "money man" all night, and he had two scores along with 5 total catches.   I thought Sammarco and one of the backs - Berg - kind of got forgotten a little in the passing game, and I think those two will be explosive contributors all year for Anderson.     They just have a lot of guys who can catch the ball and run after the catch - would hate to be HS defensive coordinator trying to take away all of those weapons.     Take away a Sammarco, and Jallick steps up....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Anderson.....my alma mater.

Very impressive offense.    For a HS team, very sophisticated and run by an experienced, savvy QB who is adept at looking off the defenders.    Very good skill players, and good sized line protects the QB well.

They will have to score a lot though; the defense looks very porous (even though they held South to 15 points).   South gouged them for over 220 yards rushing mostly on simple dive plays, and the Dragons didn't even challenge their secondary, throwing just 3 passes.

I wish Mayfield could play them.

Back when I went there we were 1-9 my Senior season [76]. We had lots of athletes in the school but most didn't play. Seems they'd turned it around , winning a State Title and all. Strong Academic school and the Arts. At least it was back in my day.

6 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

I wish Mayfield could play them.

Back when I went there we were 1-9 my Senior season [76]. We had lots of athletes in the school but most didn't play. Seems they'd turned it around , winning a State Title and all. Strong Academic school and the Arts. At least it was back in my day.

they're fun to watch.   

You're about my age (Oldham County Class of 80)