Class A track?

Who will win the boys Class A state track championship in 2007?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the boys Class A state track championship in 2007?

• Danville
    • Bishop Brossart
    • St.Henry
    • Fort Campbell
    • Trigg Co.
    • Other

With the merger of Harrodsburg and Mercer Co. eliminating Harrodsburg from Class A, the graduation of outstanding athletes at Bardstown, Ft. Campbell, and others, who do you see as the favorites to win the Class A boys track and field championships this year?

Trigg lost some of their strong middle distance runners and a thrower, but will still have some key athletes coming back including Scotty Mayes. They and Ft. Campbell with Derrick Stallworth will be contenders for Region 1. Russellville could come on strong in that Region but don't have the distance runners to win state. I feel Danville is in the same boat where they are thick with talent but won't have as COMPLETE a team as say Brossart or St. Henry.

Trigg lost some of their strong middle distance runners and a thrower, but will still have some key athletes coming back including Scotty Mayes. They and Ft. Campbell with Derrick Stallworth will be contenders for Region 1. Russellville could come on strong in that Region but don't have the distance runners to win state. I feel Danville is in the same boat where they are thick with talent but won't have as COMPLETE a team as say Brossart or St. Henry.

I remember watching Scotty Mayes in the middle school championship meet a few years ago, he was the best sprinter there.

Brossart and St. Henry may have enough help in the distance events to offset a little weakness in sprints and jumps.

True, BB and St.H are deep, however, Danville is deeper than they may seem. Solid in all relays, sprints, and hurdles. Hempel is back as the 800 state champ and they had a good long/triple jumper. Overall they are weak in field events but have solid points in nearly every running event. Plus with Harrodsburg gone and runner up last year LCA losing major talent, Danville would seem to have even more opportunities to qualify in more events for state. I forgot about Trigg and their relays. They have been awesome for a couple of years and I would not be surprised if Ft. C can reload in some areas. JMO.

Wow! Stallworth of Fort Campbell looked awesome at the UK Wildcat meet this past Saturday breaking the meet record in the 60. Plus Hempel of Danville turned in a 2:01 in the 800. Very impressive numbers for Class A boys track so early in the season. I was a bit surprised to not see St. Henry or Bishop there. The competition was excellent and I feel they both could have shown some of the Class A muscle that exists.