Twitter

GOREDDEVILS

On 6/25/2023 at 9:26 PM, bugatti said:

It’s pretty dumb on twitter these days. Only thing verified means now is you paid to have a symbol by your name. If anything, it now poses as more of a threat because people can more deceptively portray someone else.

I’ll admit I’ve always been a big Twitter guy, even now. It’s comedy gold and a real life train wreck before your eyes you can’t stop watching. It was like that before Elon, but now he’s the conductor and doing everything on a whim. His idea of being a good owner is being an active participant because his narcissism must be fed. It’s as bad as we all imagined. I ain’t hating, btw, it’s his platform and he can do as he pleases. He bought the rights to be hypocritical as he sees fit. 

It was easy to see the final days of Twitter approaching once he bought it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently we need to rename this thread to.... X. Like anything with twit, I mean X, it appears to be a train wreck. Meta, Microsoft and several others have it trademarked.

Owners of trademarks - which protect things like brand names, logos and slogans that identify sources of goods - can claim infringement if other branding would cause consumer confusion. Remedies range from monetary damages to blocking use.

Microsoft since 2003 has owned an X trademark related to communications about its Xbox video-game system. Meta Platforms - whose Threads platform is a new Twitter rival - owns a federal trademark registered in 2019 covering a blue-and-white letter “X” for fields including software and social media.

Meta and Microsoft likely would not sue unless they feel threatened that Twitter’s X encroaches on brand equity they built in the letter, Gerben said.

The three companies did not respond to requests for comment.

Meta itself drew intellectual property challenges when it changed its name from Facebook. It faces trademark lawsuits filed last year by investment firm Metacapital and virtual-reality company MetaX, and settled another over its new infinity-symbol logo.

And if Musk succeeds in changing the name, others still could claim ‘X’ for themselves.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/tech/meta-microsoft-trademarks-new-twitter-name/index.html

Just now, TheDeuce said:

This is what his Twitter business plan should have been....

Step 1: Purchase Twitter

Step 2: Add an edit button

Step 3: Walk away

I would probably add a 4th step of making sure all outside influences are shut out but you ain't wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, theguru said:

I would probably add a 4th step of making sure all outside influences are shut out but you ain't wrong. 

Actually you could also add doing something about the bots, but that would be it.

Twitter is/was a great example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just now, TheDeuce said:

Actually you could also add doing something about the bots, but that would be it.

Twitter is/was a great example of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Bots are an outside influence and maybe some other things but I don't want to get out over my skis. 

• Like 1

The writing was on the wall before Elon took over. He duped himself into purchasing X (formerly twitter) for $44B. Today's value is estimated to be in that $4B - $6B range... that ain't a good investment. And speaking of investors, they ain't getting paid, and advertisers have left in droves. But... "free speech!" Well, "mostly free speech!"

Again, his baby and he can do whatever with it. I still love X!