Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023-24 Newport Wildcats

Featured Replies

  • Replies 51
  • Views 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • cincyswords
    cincyswords

    let's clarify.  Newport was not being "shutdown" by the state.  The state does not shutdown school districts.  Now did the state do an audit and find leadership to be an issue?  Yes.  But the public r

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    Established in 1799. First class was held in April 1800.

  • 1Forrest1
    1Forrest1

    I had reached out to a family friend that works at the school, he asked around yesterday and he got back with me, Newport has received clearance from the KHSAA. Deshaun Jackson is 100% eligible to pla

Posted Images

12 hours ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

Heard today that eligibility might be an issue. 

I to am hearing eligibility is an issue, heard this is the kids 4th or 5th school. And that grades aren’t the greatest either!

  • Author

I had reached out to a family friend that works at the school, he asked around yesterday and he got back with me, Newport has received clearance from the KHSAA. Deshaun Jackson is 100% eligible to play at Newport. 

5 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

I to am hearing eligibility is an issue, heard this is the kids 4th or 5th school. And that grades aren’t the greatest either!

What's the problem if you're going by todays standards?

1 hour ago, 4 Quarters said:

What's the problem if you're going by todays standards?

I think a kid being able to have continuous academic eligibility issues given todays standards speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

I think a kid being able to have continuous academic eligibility issues given todays standards speaks volumes.

Really, do you get out much?  Just two examples, they can't make change and they can't fill an order at the drive thru correctly.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, 4 Quarters said:

Really, do you get out much?  Just two examples, they can't make change and they can't fill an order at the drive thru correctly.

FACTS! However my point was more to the fact that schools make it nearly impossible to fail now. I work in one everyday and have seen this firsthand.

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

FACTS! However my point was more to the fact that schools make it nearly impossible to fail now. I work in one everyday and have seen this firsthand.

Exactly what I was saying.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, 4 Quarters said:

Really, do you get out much?  Just two examples, they can't make change and they can't fill an order at the drive thru correctly.

I hear this all the time, and don’t find either to be the norm. Adults are just as likely to make these mistakes as kids. Screwed up orders are more a result of a bad establishment, and aren’t always a result of the “kid” taking your order.

14 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I hear this all the time, and don’t find either to be the norm. Adults are just as likely to make these mistakes as kids. Screwed up orders are more a result of a bad establishment, and aren’t always a result of the “kid” taking your order.

Well then, go inside and you can stand at the counter and was for yourself.

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm hearing Griffin Starks, younger brother of Chandler Starks, will be at Newport now.

Yeah think that’s been a thing for a few months. He was on their bench during all the summer stuff. Loads of talent that are sophomores and younger for the Wildcats. No offense to anybody but I’m surprised so many of these parents are sacrificing the education part of this. It wasn’t to long ago Newport was being shutdown by the state.

9 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

Yeah think that’s been a thing for a few months. He was on their bench during all the summer stuff. Loads of talent that are sophomores and younger for the Wildcats. No offense to anybody but I’m surprised so many of these parents are sacrificing the education part of this. It wasn’t to long ago Newport was being shutdown by the state.

let's clarify.  Newport was not being "shutdown" by the state.  The state does not shutdown school districts.  Now did the state do an audit and find leadership to be an issue?  Yes.  But the public results, which can easily be accessed by anyone, were under the leadership of those no longer running the district.   Now the academics at Newport have long been under attack based on ACT and state test scores, but that being said you get out of your education what you put into it.  There are a lot of hard working people that challenge students academically.   You can, if you want to, get a very good education there.  Unfortunately too much of the population has chosen not to prioritize academics.

I agree 100% with this assessment. You get out of education what you put in. If I went to an Ivy League school it doesn't mean I'm going to be a Rhodes Scholar automatically. My buddy went to summer school two years in a row and still graduated with 2.0 GPA. My old friend from school taught Spanish I and II at a school not to be named, and was forced to take students who didn't want to be there, that could barely read the newspaper and passed them just so it reflected positively on the school for state funds. Schools push kids through constantly.

23 hours ago, GoBucks97 said:

Yeah think that’s been a thing for a few months. He was on their bench during all the summer stuff. Loads of talent that are sophomores and younger for the Wildcats. No offense to anybody but I’m surprised so many of these parents are sacrificing the education part of this. It wasn’t to long ago Newport was being shutdown by the state.

Let’s be honest, these kids are going to Newport to play basketball, period, as is their right.  Just like all of the kids that end up in Park Hills.  It’s for basketball and that is their right as it should be.  
 

I’d say a large percentage of transfers are athletic; not academic, religious, or logistical…. People leave schools like Highlands and Beechwood every year for other athletic opportunities. I find it funny that people claim otherwise.

 

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.