Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023-24 Newport Wildcats

Featured Replies

2 hours ago, throwback32 said:

Let’s be honest, these kids are going to Newport to play basketball, period, as is their right.  Just like all of the kids that end up in Park Hills.  It’s for basketball and that is their right as it should be.  
 

I’d say a large percentage of transfers are athletic; not academic, religious, or logistical…. People leave schools like Highlands and Beechwood every year for other athletic opportunities. I find it funny that people claim otherwise.

 

In the past 30 years of being around and involved in schools and athletics I have never heard one person say I am transferring because the science program is better at school X.    Athletics,  transferring due to being bullied and for discipline reasons are the only three reasons I ever hear.  

  • Replies 51
  • Views 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • cincyswords
    cincyswords

    let's clarify.  Newport was not being "shutdown" by the state.  The state does not shutdown school districts.  Now did the state do an audit and find leadership to be an issue?  Yes.  But the public r

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    Established in 1799. First class was held in April 1800.

  • 1Forrest1
    1Forrest1

    I had reached out to a family friend that works at the school, he asked around yesterday and he got back with me, Newport has received clearance from the KHSAA. Deshaun Jackson is 100% eligible to pla

Posted Images

Oh I 100% get it and agree with many of the things you guys have pointed out. But let’s be honest the chance of any of these guys being NBA players are very small. My thinking at least for my son is the total package, I want a school that will prepare him for college in the classroom and teach hard work ethic. That also has above average and hard working athletics that’ll teach things the classroom can't. But it’s the combination of things, a school needs to meet a certain threshold of academics to dictate future success of one. Yeah there is some that do better with what they are giving and go on to have that success. But do you really want your kid surrounded by that? I want like minded individuals all pushing for the same goals around my kids.

1 hour ago, GoBucks97 said:

Oh I 100% get it and agree with many of the things you guys have pointed out. But let’s be honest the chance of any of these guys being NBA players are very small. My thinking at least for my son is the total package, I want a school that will prepare him for college in the classroom and teach hard work ethic. That also has above average and hard working athletics that’ll teach things the classroom can't. But it’s the combination of things, a school needs to meet a certain threshold of academics to dictate future success of one. Yeah there is some that do better with what they are giving and go on to have that success. But do you really want your kid surrounded by that? I want like minded individuals all pushing for the same goals around my kids.

Hey, it's okay to day dream. LOL

On 8/10/2023 at 8:19 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm hearing Griffin Starks, younger brother of Chandler Starks, will be at Newport now.

It's the old "I heard that he heard that" scenario, but I've heard from numerous people who have said Griffin is already back at Anderson.

The folks I've heard from generally turn out to be accurate sources. So I'm assuming his stint playing high school hoops in Kentucky is, in fact, over.

2 hours ago, The Oracle said:

It's the old "I heard that he heard that" scenario, but I've heard from numerous people who have said Griffin is already back at Anderson.

The folks I've heard from generally turn out to be accurate sources. So I'm assuming his stint playing high school hoops in Kentucky is, in fact, over.

The Newport season will be popcorn worthy.  SOMETHING entertaining will happen.  Could be anywhere from all of their players leaving to making a very deep state run.  But it will be fun to watch.

5 minutes ago, throwback32 said:

The Newport season will be popcorn worthy.  SOMETHING entertaining will happen.  Could be anywhere from all of their players leaving to making a very deep state run.  But it will be fun to watch.

I don't really see this team making a deep state run.  If they don't stay focused the might have a difficult time getting out of the ninth.  They will miss the Miller kid.

2023-24 Newport Wildcats Basketball Schedule

Nov 27 vs. Dayton **
Dec 2 vs. TBA (at Mason, OH - Ohio Valley Hoops Classic)
Dec 5 vs. Boone County
Dec 9 vs. Covington Catholic (John Turner Classic)
Dec 12 at Ryle
Dec 14 at Dixie Heights
Dec 16 vs. Huntington Prep (WV) (Game Location TBD)
Dec 20 vs. TBA (at Fairdale - King of the Bluegrass)
Dec 21 vs. TBA (at Fairdale - King of the Bluegrass)
Dec 22 vs. TBA (at Fairdale - King of the Bluegrass)     
Dec 23 vs. TBA (at Fairdale - King of the Bluegrass)  
Dec 29 vs. TBA (at Lawrenceburg, IN - Ray Furney Holiday Classic)    
Dec 30 vs. TBA (at Lawrenceburg, IN - Ray Furney Holiday Classic)      
Jan 5 vs. Highlands **
Jan 9 vs. Heritage Academy (at Beechwood - 9th Region All "A")
Jan 14 vs. TBA (at Kettering-Fairmont, OH - Flyin’ to the Hoop Invitational)
Jan 18 at St. Henry
Jan 24 vs. Campbell County
Jan 26 at Covington Holy Cross
Jan 27 vs. Bishop Brossart
Jan 31 vs. Bellevue **
Feb 7 vs. Newport Central Catholic **
Feb 9 vs. Conner
Feb 13 at Cooper
Feb 16 at Scott
Feb 20 vs. Beechwood

** District

19 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

I don't really see this team making a deep state run.  If they don't stay focused the might have a difficult time getting out of the ninth.  They will miss the Miller kid.

Yeah…..but it will be fun to watch from a distance.

From a very reliable source. Starks 3.0 will be at Newport.  Education … He will likely graduate with nearly two years of college under his belt from being at Newport. Nothing sacrificed.  Everything to gain. He just turned 14.. so he’s young. The advantage he will have from practicing  against better players everyday is priceless.  Popcorn necessary for sure.   If you need tickets let us know.  

4 minutes ago, covcathbig said:

From a very reliable source. Starks 3.0 will be at Newport.  Education … He will likely graduate with nearly two years of college under his belt from being at Newport. Nothing sacrificed.  Everything to gain. He just turned 14.. so he’s young. The advantage he will have from practicing  against better players everyday is priceless.  Popcorn necessary for sure.   If you need tickets let us know.  

 

23 hours ago, The Oracle said:

It's the old "I heard that he heard that" scenario, but I've heard from numerous people who have said Griffin is already back at Anderson.

The folks I've heard from generally turn out to be accurate sources. So I'm assuming his stint playing high school hoops in Kentucky is, in fact, over.

Somebody has to be wrong.

Seems like some angst among some people as to how this team will progress, if it will stay together, etc.

I do understand that completely as there are a lot of pieces that need to give up a little bit of what they can do individually in order to make this work as a whole.  That being said, two reasons I feel this team will play to its potential.

1 - they play together all summer in AAU and understand roles in that scenario.

2 - Rod Snapp, whether its a great year or a mediocre year, seems to always maximize the talent level of his players as well as always seems to have them playing well in March.

 

As of last Thursday he was definitely not going to be at Newport and there were conversations with several potential landing spots.  

1 hour ago, The Double Deuce said:

Check your PM, 4Q.

Got it!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.