Scott names Jake Owens Head Coach - Owens resigned

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Did Coach Wynn for sure apply? 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I was told he applied.

46 minutes ago, Buck2 said:

Some find this hire to be a quality one but I like to look back further. He comes from Florida where he has no connection to the community or the area other than the bengals. You then add in his two head coaching stops where he has a losing record. Also the fact he was the head coach of one program and took a leave just to be an assistant the next year at another school screams red flag to me. I don’t know the candidates but from what I’ve followed from the search on here it sounded like they had better qualified coaches in the area. Either he knows someone in the district or they saw a Florida coach and thought it has to be better because it’s Florida. We will see but not a fan. And if the rumors of the mason county coach applying are true then I’m puzzled. Just took a look at his record at mason and to me that would have been the slam dunk hire. 

Wynn & Shelton were the two outsiders that I knew applied.

I believe Durstock & Hacker were the internal guys to apply. 

Not sure about any of the other very few applicants. 

Definitely thought Wynn was the favorite from the beginning and the obvious choice, especially if he lives in Taylor Mill, would have been win-win for everyone with Shelton also getting a good shot with his experience at a successful program at CovCath and ties to Cincinnati Moeller Coach and numerous big time coaches across the college and NFL landscape.

But I cannot blame Scott for trying something new, as they definitely just did that. And who knows, perhaps Coach Owens turns it around and the Florida to NKY pipeline comes into existence. Sort of like the Kentucky - Georgia coaching pipeline we’ve seen. Not for me though, not in this lifetime, I’d keep my butt in the warm weather. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Wynn & Shelton were the two outsiders that I knew applied.

I believe Durstock & Hacker were the internal guys to apply. 

Not sure about any of the other very few applicants. 

Definitely thought Wynn was the favorite from the beginning and the obvious choice, especially if he lives in Taylor Mill, would have been win-win for everyone with Shelton also getting a good shot with his experience at a successful program at CovCath and ties to Cincinnati Moeller Coach and numerous big time coaches across the college and NFL landscape.

But I cannot blame Scott for trying something new, as they definitely just did that. And who knows, perhaps Coach Owens turns it around and the Florida to NKY pipeline comes into existence. Sort of like the Kentucky - Georgia coaching pipeline we’ve seen. Not for me though, not in this lifetime, I’d keep my butt in the warm weather. 

Just got confirmation Wynn lives in Taylor Mill and has kids in the youth organization. Like you said though, could be a great hire, but looking at what Wynn has done as an HC  crazy to pass on him. 

• Like 2

📝 From Evan Dennison, filed an hour ago ~ "Why would a coach leave Florida to come coach high school football in Kentucky?"  

Thought this piece was well done and seems to answer some questions posed in this thread, and some yet unasked. 

linknky.com/sports/from-florida-to-kentucky-owens-ready-to-lead-eagles

• Checklist for the search used by AD Fisk and Principal Yanke. 

• Coach Owens' coaching philosophy. 

• Coach's reasons for moving to the area (he was coming regardless of this position).

• Owens arrives in 1 1/2 weeks and plans to hit the ground running.

• Thanks 1

Heard his wife is from the Owenton area and both are educators. Seems like a good dude so we will see. Really likes to promote his players for life, college, military.  I feel if you wanna play right away and possibly move into Scott’s district this is the time to do it. He might attract some players. 

12 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

Heard his wife is from the Owenton area and both are educators. Seems like a good dude so we will see. Really likes to promote his players for life, college, military.  I feel if you wanna play right away and possibly move into Scott’s district this is the time to do it. He might attract some players. 

I was under the impression Kenton County was open enrollment. Is that no longer the case? Was it ever? If there are boundaries, what/where are they?

2 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

I was under the impression Kenton County was open enrollment. Is that no longer the case? Was it ever? If there are boundaries, what/where are they?

I thought you had to move to play right away thou.

9 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

6 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

I thought you had to move to play right away thou.

elmo-dont-know.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Runcible Owl said:

It is open enrollment in the sense that if you live in Kenton County you can choose to apply to go to any of the three county schools. Each school does have an assigned district. You will not necessarily be accepted to go to a school outside of the one you are assigned to, as I have seen and heard of open enrollment applications being denied although it’s rare. You cannot freely switch schools and play sports though. The normal KHSAA transfer rules apply. So if you play a varsity sport at say Dixie, and you transfer to Scott without moving into Scott’s assigned district, you have to sit out a year.

• Thanks 1

From the article Coach Owens stated he is (was I assume) a QB and this about his offensive philosophy:

Owens plans to implement an up-tempo offense in which the goal is to be set and hike the ball within 12-15 seconds between plays and create havoc defensively by getting after the quarterback and creating turnovers.

==============

So I assume we will now have both Scott and Dixie pushing the tempo on offense, should be interesting in NKY.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

From the article Coach Owens stated he is (was I assume) a QB and this about his offensive philosophy:

Owens plans to implement an up-tempo offense in which the goal is to be set and hike the ball within 12-15 seconds between plays and create havoc defensively by getting after the quarterback and creating turnovers.

==============

So I assume we will now have both Scott and Dixie pushing the tempo on offense, should be interesting in NKY.

So they will punt the ball 1 minute sooner than normal and give the ball back to the other team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, gbballfan21 said:

So they will punt the ball 1 minute sooner than normal and give the ball back to the other team.

I feel pretty confident that is how things are going to start out, who knows where it will eventually lead. 

Always love seeing everyone rip on the Eagles. Even on a coaching hire. Scott has put together some good teams lately. If they didn’t play in a class that takes them out of NKY so much, ya’ll may respect them more. Not saying they are top echelon, but comments such as above is ridiculous and really throws shade at some great kids that just graduated. Punt a minute sooner. Plz. All time leading passer just graduated a year ago. You don’t have success that by not moving the ball. 

I got no dog except for being an alum, but kudos for AD Fisk for performing a search, taking who appears to be their guy, and not caving in to the small, small world of the NKY coaching tree……

fly 🦅 fly

• Like 4

I guess my question would be how is he going to adapt to the way the officials in Kentucky, specifically NKY,(The best officials in the state by the way) call a game vs how the officials in Florida call a game? I think the world of Wynn as a coach, I’m just curious why he took the Mason Co job to quickly apply for this one? He did a really good job at Newport. 

5 hours ago, LoudenSwain said:

Always love seeing everyone rip on the Eagles. Even on a coaching hire. Scott has put together some good teams lately. If they didn’t play in a class that takes them out of NKY so much, ya’ll may respect them more. Not saying they are top echelon, but comments such as above is ridiculous and really throws shade at some great kids that just graduated. Punt a minute sooner. Plz. All time leading passer just graduated a year ago. You don’t have success that by not moving the ball. 

I got no dog except for being an alum, but kudos for AD Fisk for performing a search, taking who appears to be their guy, and not caving in to the small, small world of the NKY coaching tree……

fly 🦅 fly

And the All time leading Rusher the year before that and top 5 Rusher in NKY all time history with over 5000 yards.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Breds82 said:

I guess my question would be how is he going to adapt to the way the officials in Kentucky, specifically NKY,(The best officials in the state by the way) call a game vs how the officials in Florida call a game? I think the world of Wynn as a coach, I’m just curious why he took the Mason Co job to quickly apply for this one? He did a really good job at Newport. 

That concern isn’t even on my radar. Will officiating be different? Maybe some. But they use the same rule book, and it’s not like they play a different game in Florida. If you can coach football, you can coach football regardless of where it’s played. Whether he succeeds or fails will have little to do with how the game is officiated in KY vs Florida.

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to Scott names Jake Owens Head Coach - Owens resigned
  • theguru locked this topic