Scott names Jake Owens Head Coach - Owens resigned

Always amazes me how guys can take a job like this, make a 1500 mile move, leave in the middle of the school year, and be here in two weeks. I would think if he is a teacher that the Florida school may be a little miffed. I assume he will become a full time staff member at Scott. That coaching stipend will not be enough to get him to the next school year lol.

On 2/4/2023 at 7:06 PM, LoudenSwain said:

Always love seeing everyone rip on the Eagles. Even on a coaching hire. Scott has put together some good teams lately. If they didn’t play in a class that takes them out of NKY so much, ya’ll may respect them more. Not saying they are top echelon, but comments such as above is ridiculous and really throws shade at some great kids that just graduated. Punt a minute sooner. Plz. All time leading passer just graduated a year ago. You don’t have success that by not moving the ball. 

I got no dog except for being an alum, but kudos for AD Fisk for performing a search, taking who appears to be their guy, and not caving in to the small, small world of the NKY coaching tree……

fly 🦅 fly

They are a below average team maybe one day they could compete with Highlands, Ryle, Beechwood, CovCath or Simon Kenton not likely. 

On 2/6/2023 at 1:26 PM, MaddenCurse44 said:

They are a below average team maybe one day they could compete with Highlands, Ryle, Beechwood, CovCath or Simon Kenton not likely. 

Call me an optimist. But with the right hire, they could definitely bridge the gap with those schools and compete with everyone else in NKY. One thing I know for sure, stability is what is missing the most. 

• Like 1

That's a little harsh. They've pretty much won their district most years and have made 3 regional finals since 2015. Yes, it's not been the most competitive district, but they have no control over that. Arguably, they've had just as much success than a few of the teams you mention since their first trip to the region final in 2015---Highlands, Ryle, and SK. I'm not saying they would have beaten any of those teams. But to call them below average is not total accurate. And literally no team in NKY is on the same level as Beechwood and Cov Cath over that same time period.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

That's a little harsh. They've pretty much won their district most years and have made 3 regional finals since 2015. Yes, it's not been the most competitive district, but they have no control over that. Arguably, they've had just as much success than a few of the teams you mention since their first trip to the region final in 2015---Highlands, Ryle, and SK. I'm not saying they would have beaten any of those teams. But to call them below average is not total accurate. And literally no team in NKY is on the same level as Beechwood and Cov Cath over that same time period.

Last time SK played Scott is wasn't pretty.

15 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Last time SK played Scott is wasn't pretty.

I'm well aware of that. Again, I never said Scott was better than, or would beat SK. My point was simply, that based on success that Scott has had over the last 8 years or so, it's not fair or correct to categorize them as a below average team. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I'm well aware of that. Again, I never said Scott was better than, or would beat SK. My point was simply, that based on success that Scott has had over the last 8 years or so, it's not fair or correct to categorize them as a below average team. 

Bingo.

Folks always gonna hate on my 🦅. Been that way as long as I can remember.  Great school, great community. Awesome facilities. Never understood it. I know I’m biased, but I can’t believe folks rip on them like they do. They have success, despite the amount of athletes that live within their area who do not attend school there. 

• Like 3

Not intended just to throw shade, but for years and years the football game against Simon Kenton was the one game of the season where the varsity second and third string/JV guys on other NKY football programs could count on getting significant playing time. As a sophomore on the scout team at Cov Cath in 1996, I played nearly 3 full quarters against Simon Kenton in our 64-0 shellacking of the 'Neers...and that was Simon Kenton's homecoming game. In the 24 games Simon Kenton has played against Cov Cath, they have averaged a whopping 5.08 points against the Colonels, and were scoreless in 10 games.

It seems more than a little hypocritical for a Simon Kenton fan to talk about a program like Scott being "not likely" to have the ability to improve and compete against the stronger programs in NKY.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Not intended just to throw shade, but for years and years the football game against Simon Kenton was the one game of the season where the varsity second and third string/JV guys on other NKY football programs could count on getting significant playing time. As a sophomore on the scout team at Cov Cath in 1996, I played nearly 3 full quarters against Simon Kenton in our 64-0 shellacking of the 'Neers...and that was Simon Kenton's homecoming game. In the 24 games Simon Kenton has played against Cov Cath, they have averaged a whopping 5.08 points against the Colonels, and were scoreless in 10 games.

It seems more than a little hypocritical for a Simon Kenton fan to talk about a program like Scott being "not likely" to have the ability to improve and compete against the stronger programs in NKY.

They scrimmaged last year and CovCath got taken to the wood shed.

37 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

They scrimmaged last year and CovCath got taken to the wood shed.

This 100% supports the exact point I was making. You make out Scott to be so bad for so long that it's not likely that they could improve to compete on a higher level....yet you're a Simon Kenton fan, a team that was the absolute worst of the worst in Northern Kentucky for literal decades, and they seem to have found better footing.

Why do you think Simon Kenton could do it but Scott isn't likely to?

Also, excuse me for laughing at someone who hangs their hat on how their team performed against another one in a preseason scrimmage. It's always amazed me that people do that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

So you replied with a laughing emoji @MaddenCurse44 ...care to explain? Or is your plan to just laugh at anyone foolish enough to think any football program on earth aside from Simon Kenton is capable of climbing out of their flaming dumpster and improving after being a disaster for decades?

Yup your last response about it being a scrimmage. 

• theguru changed the title to Scott names Jake Owens Head Coach - Owens resigned
  • theguru locked this topic