8th Region Week 8 Review

13 minutes ago, ProPatria said:

SK gave the game to Collins on PF and turnovers. Collins did not shoot better. SK has had an on going problem with turnovers.

4455C245-FE65-446E-8F27-9F90CDA9EBCC.png

FD07C59E-3FAB-4A26-A69E-2E88BDD75982.png

Bingo on the shooting.  I was at the game, SK committed a lot of fouls that were foolish fouls.   A number of the SK turnovers were just from lazy passes, should have been prevented.  I really can't say SK gave the game away.

13 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Bingo on the shooting.  I was at the game, SK committed a lot of fouls that were foolish fouls.   A number of the SK turnovers were just from lazy passes, should have been prevented.  I really can't say SK gave the game away.

I was at the game too and I consider those TO just giving a good team points. I would have to watch the film again but how many fast breaks off of TO did Collins score off of?

17 minutes ago, ProPatria said:

I was at the game too and I consider those TO just giving a good team points. I would have to watch the film again but how many fast breaks off of TO did Collins score off of?

Yeah, I understand what your implying, but TO's are part of the game.  A lot of them were actually forced by the defense.

• Like 1

Already had some shaking up the first night of the new week….

Grant County defeats Owen County with Teagan Moore back for the Rebels.

Oldham County gets blown out by Lexington Christian.

Carroll County wins another, and is now on a 4-game win streak. They only have 5 wins on the season and 4 of them have been their last 4 games.

I have a feeling with this kind of start to the week, I will have a very long weekend trying to rank this incredible 8th region we have currently.

In another thread, Runcible Owl made reference to the Massey Ratings - a name I'd not heard in years and had forgotten about, honestly.  I just looked up the KY High School Boys ratings - here:

https://masseyratings.com/hsbb/ky/ratings

Some surprising results for 8th region teams, relative to the typical "non-metric" view:

1.  Collins (#5 in the state)

2.  North Oldham (#7)

3.  Simon Kenton (#20)

4.  Grant County (#33)

5. Woodford County (#35)

6.  Oldham County (#46)

7.  Spencer County (#61)

8.  South Oldham (#72)

9.  Owen County (#74)

10.  Anderson County (#89)

Woodford County, Owen County and Anderson County stick out as the contrarian picks.  in each case strength of schedule looks to factor heavily.  Woodford's is, per these metrics anyway, the #11 schedule in the state.  Owen is at #115, and Anderson at #165.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mojocat said:

In another thread, Runcible Owl made reference to the Massey Ratings - a name I'd not heard in years and had forgotten about, honestly.  I just looked up the KY High School Boys ratings - here:

https://masseyratings.com/hsbb/ky/ratings

Some surprising results for 8th region teams, relative to the typical "non-metric" view:

1.  Collins (#5 in the state)

2.  North Oldham (#7)

3.  Simon Kenton (#20)

4.  Grant County (#33)

5. Woodford County (#35)

6.  Oldham County (#46)

7.  Spencer County (#61)

8.  South Oldham (#72)

9.  Owen County (#74)

10.  Anderson County (#89)

Woodford County, Owen County and Anderson County stick out as the contrarian picks.  in each case strength of schedule looks to factor heavily.  Woodford's is, per these metrics anyway, the #11 schedule in the state.  Owen is at #115, and Anderson at #165.

Agreed- Woodford sticks out. SOS is the only thing they have to get them that high.  The others actually look pretty darn sensible to me or at least very reasonable. 

1 minute ago, Hoopstars said:

Agreed- Woodford sticks out. SOS is the only thing they have to get them that high.  The others actually look pretty darn sensible to me or at least very reasonable. 

I have been saying in the recent weeks not to sleep on Woodford. When it is all set and done, they have the best player in the region. Along with him, they have other D1 athletes playing role spots, (yes you read that right, D1 athletes as role players). They have had an incredibly tough schedule, and if they could pull off the upset against Collins on Friday they are right back in the fight IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

I have been saying in the recent weeks not to sleep on Woodford. When it is all set and done, they have the best player in the region. Along with him, they have other D1 athletes playing role spots, (yes you read that right, D1 athletes as role players). They have had an incredibly tough schedule, and if they could pull off the upset against Collins on Friday they are right back in the fight IMO. 

Agree they are dangerous. As far as best player in the region- if there was a draft across the entire region, whoever had first pick would be committing basketball malpractice taking anyone other than Tegan Moore…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoopstars said:

Agree they are dangerous. As far as best player in the region- if there was a draft across the entire region, whoever had first pick would be committing basketball malpractice taking anyone other than Tegan Moore…

We might have to agree to disagree on this one. Johnson is a 4 star recruit who is top 30 for his class in the nation. There is nothing better in the 8th region than that IMO. 

1 minute ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

We might have to agree to disagree on this one. Johnson is a 4 star recruit who is top 30 for his class in the nation. There is nothing better in the 8th region than that IMO. 

Potential- favors jasper. HS game today favors Moore’- his combo of physicality and versatility almost unrivaled state wide, nonetheless less region wide. 

Impact at the high school level vs college potential.  Interesting topic, always.  I am guessing in this region these are the guys who most would rank highest (not in any order):

Teagan Moore

Dallas Roberts 

Max Green

Jasper Johnson

Dylan Hammonds

There are a couple of others that come to mind,  but this is likely a near consensus view of the top 5.  After all this time (didn't he start varsity in the 2nd grade? heh), I still haven't seen Moore play.  Saw Johnson last year a couple of times, and to be honest he did not stand out to me, certainly not a kid I looked at and thought "nationally ranked".  But I hear he improves almost daily, and is a different player now.  In terms of high school vs college, Hammonds stands out.  Wonderful high school player, but at 6'4 and nearly exclusively an interior player, doesn't figure to translate to college.  You can never measure things like heart, ambition, etc., tho.  There may well be a kid out there who goes the other way - wouldn't appear on anyone's best player list in high school, but translates well to the college game.

Having seen several of Jasper high school games, nothing he has done on the court deserves this ranking.  It’s all AAU performance and groupthink.  Once the dominoes start to fall with offers everyone else fears missing out.  His team puts the stats in every 5-6 games and rumors are the misses aren’t counted at the same rate as the makes.   

He might have more long term potential than Teegan, but Moore is the more impactful HS player and it isn’t close.  

3 minutes ago, deepthreejack said:

Having seen several of Jasper high school games, nothing he has done on the court deserves this ranking.  It’s all AAU performance and groupthink.  Once the dominoes start to fall with offers everyone else fears missing out.  His team puts the stats in every 5-6 games and rumors are the misses aren’t counted at the same rate as the makes.   

He might have more long term potential than Teegan, but Moore is the more impactful HS player and it isn’t close.  

48 minutes ago, Hoopstars said:

Potential- favors jasper. HS game today favors Moore’- his combo of physicality and versatility almost unrivaled state wide, nonetheless less region wide. 

I can agree with both of these posts, having watched Teagan Moore a he neighbors my home county, I have watched him a ton of times (he’s started varsity since 8th grade), and his impact at the high school level is not comparable to anyone else in the region. My point was more at a player, and how their style of play would relate to the college level as well. 
He is a tall center for an ‘A’ school, and plays guard ever single game. He is stronger than almost everyone he matches up with, and can finish at the rim like no other. The biggest advancement of his game last offseason was by far this shooting from deep, as he is now a very good 3 point shooter.

He dominates the game on all levels at the high school level, however he doesn’t play the guys that Johnson does. Woodfords schedule is more difficult, and their district is a lot more competitive. The 31st District (Owen’s district) has 5 of the 7 A schools in the region. No one in their district can matchup with him, and he will single handily beat every team in the 31st.

One thing to consider, Moore played for a “triple A” AAU team on the Under Armor circuit last summer.  He was the best player on the team, and was dominant on that circuit, even against the more elite UAA teams.  He has more in his bag than he has been given respect for, having played for his county school instead of bolting to LaLumire or another prep school when his resume was clearly good enough to do so, which would have enhanced his profile nationally.  I would assume his college career ends up as good or better than Jaspers.  

• Like 1

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums (i.e. bet, over/under, spread, parlay, chips, line, odds, wager). All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.