8th Region Week 8 Review

8 hours ago, Hoopstars said:

Potential- favors jasper. HS game today favors Moore’- his combo of physicality and versatility almost unrivaled state wide, nonetheless less region wide. 

I’m taking Moore, Hammonds, Dynes, Green Goodin, Roberts, Johnson in that ordered based on winning games right now in 8th region and by the numbers.  Moore, Hammonds and Dynes are double-doubles almost every night.  Yep, I know a lot will disagree. Moore and Hammonds two different players but produce same numbers. Moore leads the way with points in region 32 Hammonds 2nd in region 27.5.  Hammonds 2nd in state rebounding first in the region 13.5 and Moore 11.5.  Both will their teams to win games. In last 3 years Hammonds may have more double-doubles than everyone on that list combined. 

• Like 3

Just now, BA said:

I’m taking Moore, Hammonds, Dynes, Green Goodin, Roberts, Johnson in that ordered based on winning games right now in 8th region and by the numbers.  Moore, Hammonds and Dynes are double-doubles almost every night.  Yep, I know a lot will disagree. Moore and Hammonds two different players but produce same numbers. Moore leads the way with points in region 32 Hammonds 2nd in region 27.5.  Hammonds 2nd in state rebounding first in the region 13.5 and Moore 11.5.  Both will their teams to win games. In last 3 years Hammonds may have more double-doubles than everyone on that list combined. 

Dynes on this list before Green, Roberts, and Johnson just doesn’t seem right lol.

I don’t think you’re putting SOS and the teammates they’re playing with into consideration.

3 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Dynes on this list before Green, Roberts, and Johnson just doesn’t seem right lol.

I don’t think you’re putting SOS and the teammates they’re playing with into consideration.

SK Defense is so good because of him (right?)and D wins a lot of games…makes sense to me.  Yep I would take Dynes.  Just my opinion just like yours.  Roberts has been the same sense 8th grade. A really good high school point guard with good talent around him.  So yeah Roberts numbers are low As for Green he does not have much around him as OC of past years.  Green and Johnson are essentially the same players and lots of potential but can’t seem to get their teams going.   This time next year I would put them 1 and 2 in region but not in 2022-2023. Over hyped, over AAU, over social media…I just watch high school 8,9,11th region basketball games for the most part…again my opinion.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BA said:

SK Defense is so good because of him (right?)and D wins a lot of games…makes sense to me.  Yep I would take Dynes.  Just my opinion just like yours.  Roberts has been the same sense 8th grade. A really good high school point guard with good talent around him.  So yeah Roberts numbers are low As for Green he does not have much around him as OC of past years.  Green and Johnson are essentially the same players and lots of potential but can’t seem to get their teams going.   This time next year I would put them 1 and 2 in region but not in 2022-2023. Over hyped, over AAU, over social media…I just watch high school 8,9,11th region basketball games for the most part…again my opinion.  

I agree for the most part with Roberts, he is more of a game controller rather than taking over. However, Max Green can take over and win a game for Oldham County. Against North Oldham, he single handedly brought them back and forced overtime. Gabe Dynes can not do this for a team, and relies on his teammates to get him a ton of looks. Defense is a team game, it takes all 5 guys doing their job in order to have an extremely good defense. Jasper Johnson is the most skilled player in the region, he is not over hyped. He plays in the toughest AAU circuit in the country, and obviously performs well to get him that ranking. He also has multiple Division 1 athletes on his team, so he doesn't have to do as much. They have played an extremely tough schedule, so expect the amount of losses they have. Reminder, they have only played 17 games. Expect them to get hot coming up against some inter-regional opponents, and find a groove before tournament time. 

Just now, Falcon Pride said:

Not taking anything away from Max Green but he takes some VERY questionable shots.

He also passes up some easier ones in order to make the tougher play…

That said I would love him on my team if you had to get a shot up late!

Absolutely, however when he makes some of these questionable shots it completely changes the tempo of every game. 

And I agree, he always seems to show up when it really matters. 

39 minutes ago, BA said:

Yes it is your opinion but let’s be honest- there isn’t another human being who knows basketball that would take Dynes with the 3rd pick in the 8th region draft. They have lost to a number of teams with no bigs- why isn’t he dominating?And just because they play slow doesn’t mean they are great defensively.  I’d like to know their points given up per possession. Points per game is irrelevant. Uptempo teams always give go more PPG- because the other team has the ball a lot. Points allowed per possession is what matters. 

• Like 2

There's an insane amount of individual talent in the 8th region as you all have spoken about above, but don't sleep on Camden Cox and Luke Erhardt from Spencer County. Kids can shoot the lights out and if they get a step they can finish in the lane. Cox averages 5 rebounds a game as a guard and Erhardt has a crazy knack for jumping passing lanes and poking balls loose.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wingt51 said:

There's an insane amount of individual talent in the 8th region as you all have spoken about above, but don't sleep on Camden Cox and Luke Erhardt from Spencer County. Kids can shoot the lights out and if they get a step they can finish in the lane. Cox averages 5 rebounds a game as a guard and Erhardt has a crazy knack for jumping passing lanes and poking balls loose.

Both are top 10 in region and can fill it up.  I like both of them. 

• Like 1

Regarding Dynes and whether he belongs on that  list of best players in the 8th Region.....on one hand, I like the idea of not simply looking at points per game (which we all do to an extent, understandably), and acknowledging that you can impact the game in a big way doing other things besides scoring.  And he definitely impacts the game.  On the other hand, that said, I wouldn't rank him on that list, or at least not above Green and Roberts (I can't comment on Johnson, haven't seen him yet this year).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

Not taking anything away from Max Green but he takes some VERY questionable shots.

He also passes up some easier ones in order to make the tougher play…

That said I would love him on my team if you had to get a shot up late!

All true.  And the things in the first part of your post have caused issues with teammates.  How big?  Not sure.  Max takes a ton of shots, and that includes some bad shots.  You might look at that and say, well, he needs to be doing that on this particular team.  And you might say, well, could they be better if he were a more constructive teammate and shared the ball more?

• Like 1