Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023 Covington Catholic Colonels

Featured Replies

  • Author

Couple of things:

1. Anyone have an update on the schedule or timetable of its release?

2.  On Instagram @CovCathStrength has a fantastic update on the off-season workouts and a lot of names mentioned in this thread are excelling right now in those workouts.

Apparently they are doing something points based and Andrew Bessler(LB & RB) is in the lead.  Just something kind of cool to keep things interesting until August.

Go Colonels!!!

  • Replies 375
  • Views 84k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Blueboy11
    Blueboy11

    I have been following Bluegrass preps since my oldest was in high school. I comment here and there but to be honest I have never witnessed any adults talking about a kids faith.  I'm Chasity Harney. 

  • @Cov_Cath_Hwy put it perfectly.  It is more than just a football team, basketball team, soccer etc.  It is a brotherhood there.  As new classes come in and senior classes depart, that brotherhood migh

  • Is my reading comprehension poor, or did I just read what I thought I read. 

Posted Images

Mason Edward's is a pretty good linebacker. The young Freshamn Wr #88 should be really good for varsity this year.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:30 PM, CCHFC said:

No I think he is. The point is many coaches are winning a lot from 16-20 with the rosters and by far the biggest historical obstacle not in the way. I’m going to need to see the staff win big with non elite talent that everyone else would win with before we should stop questioning some of what we do. I do think we have a good to pretty good coaching staff, but it’s ok to question things until that point. 

Sorry, this post made me shake my head and laugh. Eviston won 2 state titles before he came to CCH. Saying the coaching staff is "good to pretty good" is ?. I think they know what they are doing. Doesn't mean they are above reproach but they are better than "good to pretty good".

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Sorry, this post made me shake my head and laugh. Eviston won 2 state titles before he came to CCH. Saying the coaching staff is "good to pretty good" is ?. I think they know what they are doing. Doesn't mean they are above reproach but they are better than "good to pretty good".

Yes, I think EE is a pretty good high school coach. He is not perfect, but he is pretty good. I didn't watch NCC when he was there, so all I am commenting off of are his CCH teams. Context matters at the high school level when coaches (for the very most part) are not responsible for the talent on their roster.

The two state title wins were with the probably most stacked roster in school history while Highlands was bad (17) and with maybe the best player in state history while Highlands was not great (19). My point initial point was many coaches are winning with that and I am going to need to see a little bit more before I think the staff should be above criticism because "EE and this staff has won two state titles."

 

15 hours ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Mason Edward's is a pretty good linebacker. The young Freshamn Wr #88 should be really good for varsity this year.

Not sure if Mason is going to play this year.  I hope he does because he is a very good athlete and a good kid on top of it.  Unfortunately, Mason had a really bad shoulder injury last year.  He injured his shoulder preseason and toughed it out for a better part of the season until it got worse and had to stop playing.  Apparently, the surgery went well but there was more to fix then what was originally thought.  

26 minutes ago, UKato91 said:

Not sure if Mason is going to play this year.  I hope he does because he is a very good athlete and a good kid on top of it.  Unfortunately, Mason had a really bad shoulder injury last year.  He injured his shoulder preseason and toughed it out for a better part of the season until it got worse and had to stop playing.  Apparently, the surgery went well but there was more to fix then what was originally thought.  

Praying for him.

  • Author
4 hours ago, UKato91 said:

Not sure if Mason is going to play this year.  I hope he does because he is a very good athlete and a good kid on top of it.  Unfortunately, Mason had a really bad shoulder injury last year.  He injured his shoulder preseason and toughed it out for a better part of the season until it got worse and had to stop playing.  Apparently, the surgery went well but there was more to fix then what was originally thought.  

Thanks for the info @UKato91.  Definitely keeping Mason in our thoughts.  

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  While reading the speculation about the next coach at Beechwood, EE's name has been mentioned quite a bit but the comments that I find interesting are the comments concerning Eviston's lack of appreciation at CovCath.  Are the CovCath faithful not happy with their coach?  Not trying to make something out of nothing but there really seemed to be a theme to many of the comments. 

3 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  While reading the speculation about the next coach at Beechwood, EE's name has been mentioned quite a bit but the comments that I find interesting are the comments concerning Eviston's lack of appreciation at CovCath.  Are the CovCath faithful not happy with their coach?  Not trying to make something out of nothing but there really seemed to be a theme to many of the comments. 

Park Hills Mafia is upset the Mayers no longer have any boys coming through.

And, of course, that’s Eddie’s fault. 

PHM is spoiled, that’s all. The sensible ones in the community realize the gem they have at the helm. 

  • Author
1 minute ago, TheConch said:

Park Hills Mafia is upset the Mayers no longer have any boys coming through.

And, of course, that’s Eddie’s fault. 

PHM is spoiled, that’s all. The sensible ones in the community realize the gem they have at the helm. 

I would say this is pretty much categorically wrong that we are spoiled or waiting for another Mayer Savior especially since one player does not make a program.  We have numerous dominant state titles without a Mayer or Eddie and that will only continue.

The future of Colonel Football is outstandingly bright…..and that is with Eddie at the helm or not.  I hope He stays for a long long long and state Championship filled tenure as do 99.9999%toinfinity of the Colonel faithful.

The reason Our future is so bright is because of our fantastic community and commitment by everyone in it to do all they can to ensure that it produces academically, spiritually, morally, socially, and athletically.  It all starts with our grade schools & CYF(Colonel Youth Football) and concludes on graduation day with everyone involved along the way to ensure the young Men who come through are better for it. 
 

Thanks to the Mayers for sure as they have given the young men that follow them a road map to being outstanding well-rounded Students, Athletes, and Alumni.  Our Program is in the best hands no matter who is standing on those sidelines.  That is the beauty of Cov. Cath.  The Brotherhood thrives!!!

Eddie has been and will be spectacular and has a talent rich current team and a straight up loaded pipeline in the CYF.  It’s on.  Always a good day to be a Colonel.

GO COLONELS.

1 hour ago, BEChargers said:

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  While reading the speculation about the next coach at Beechwood, EE's name has been mentioned quite a bit but the comments that I find interesting are the comments concerning Eviston's lack of appreciation at CovCath.  Are the CovCath faithful not happy with their coach?  Not trying to make something out of nothing but there really seemed to be a theme to many of the comments. 

I can only speak for myself, but I think Coach Eviston is appreciated. I think valid questions have come up because of offensive play calling the last two plus years. Just because you win two titles during the best three year talent stretch in school history, does not mean you should be immune from slight criticism over the rest of your career. 

We are very, very simple in the run game. QB Iso 40% of the time with QBs that is not their game (22) or in 21 we are ISOing 190 lb+ linebackers with a 140 lb RB when there is so much more creative and dynamic things we could be doing with an athlete at QB like Preston Agee (now at TMC). It's QB Iso, single back power with a TE, trap and slow developing jet sweeps. Not a ton else and is a source for frustration. 

The point I have been making is EE is a pretty good coach. As an OC, I think his dropback scheme and gameplanned shot calls are close to as good as it gets for this HS area, but needs to keep improving in the run game and get more aggressive throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down with this current crop of players. I think Cov Cath does have the talent to push to win 4A this year so hopefully we can self-scout enough this offseason to make some adjustments.
13 hours ago, BEChargers said:

I guess I haven't been paying attention.  While reading the speculation about the next coach at Beechwood, EE's name has been mentioned quite a bit but the comments that I find interesting are the comments concerning Eviston's lack of appreciation at CovCath.  Are the CovCath faithful not happy with their coach?  Not trying to make something out of nothing but there really seemed to be a theme to many of the comments. 

@Cov_Cath_Hwy put it perfectly.  It is more than just a football team, basketball team, soccer etc.  It is a brotherhood there.  As new classes come in and senior classes depart, that brotherhood might look differently and act differently, but it is still a brotherhood.  Some classes are loaded with athletic talent, and some are loaded with academic talent.  Each avenue has its ups and downs and when you have a four year stretch of an extreme high of both athletic and academic talent when you return to normal highs of talent obviously it does seem like we’re down.  We may be a little hungover from the successes we had, but the PHM isn’t stupid.   EE is a very good coach on and off the field.  While I haven’t loved the offense that he has run the last 2 years, we were still successful.  The chatter I hear in the stands is more questioning than anger and is usually followed by a disclaimer “we are not at practice to see what is going on either” Meaning the personnel may not have the talent in areas that we might think they do. 

I really like EE.  He expects a lot and demands a lot out of the kids. Is he perfect? Absolutely not!  He is teaching more than just football; he is teaching real life skills about expectations and responsibilities.  I am always really impressed when he has his beginning of the year parent/athlete football meetings.   He generally starts out with a carefully worded question each year.   He asks, “What is our ultimate goal?”  Generally, the response is winning a state championship.  His response is, “To get your kids to heaven”. I have been this program for six years and have heard that question/answer six times.  95% or more of these kids will not go on to play football in college.  100% of these kids will eventually leave Cov Cath a little or a lot better person because of him.  If the kids meet the demands and expectations of the coach, championships will follow.  I do hope he stays but if he decides to find greener pastures, I will wish him the best of luck.  

CovCath has to be the last team in the state to release their schedule, unless I have missed something. 

12 minutes ago, TheConch said:

CovCath has to be the last team in the state to release their schedule, unless I have missed something. 

Just looking at actual numbers, I'd say it's pretty close to 50% of the state with schedules released at this point, but we are among the later teams to put our schedule out year to year. Looking on the coaches listserv, there are still a handful of coaches trying to get blanks filled in with their schedules...I don't know whether or not we still have a game that needs to be worked out, but I'd assume we'll see a schedule out before too long here.

22 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Just looking at actual numbers, I'd say it's pretty close to 50% of the state with schedules released at this point, but we are among the later teams to put our schedule out year to year. Looking on the coaches listserv, there are still a handful of coaches trying to get blanks filled in with their schedules...I don't know whether or not we still have a game that needs to be worked out, but I'd assume we'll see a schedule out before too long here.

I suppose things take longer when you’re not sure if you have a coach or not. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.