Open Job: Grant County

5 minutes ago, Down4theblue said:

Tough gig. I’m not real sure how much football culture is there. Had a tough draw the last few years with the likes of Scott Co and Douglas. If you do have talent you will likely get it plucked away. Best of luck to the Braves. 

Agreed...they were in district with Cov Cath, Dixie and Highlands during the prior alignment before dropping out of district play for the last two years of the alignment.

With the size of their school, it's tough for Grant County to catch a break with the relative lack of football culture in their area.

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Agreed...they were in district with Cov Cath, Dixie and Highlands during the prior alignment before dropping out of district play for the last two years of the alignment.

With the size of their school, it's tough for Grant County to catch a break with the relative lack of football culture in their area.

It always starts at the top and bottom. If you don’t have admin behind you and a youth feeder program, your toast. 

Idk them. I know they get boat raced in middle school, I know that’s a good conference. RDC, Woodford, Elkhorn, the Scott Schools. Etc. I know they get smacked at the 5A level. Do they have problems retaining kids? Do they just move away? 
I never thought I’d be talking about Grant Co Braves football. 

On 12/13/2022 at 2:07 PM, Calico Jack said:

Good players.  Players better than the people you have to play for the most part. For whatever reason that’s like the elephant in the room when it comes to success.  

Don’t get me wrong they’ve got some good players. Looking at the KHSAA roster and it looks like well over half were freshmen and sophomores this past season. To say they have better players than most of the teams they played against this past year is a stretch.  Look at the schedule and either the teams were pretty loaded with talent (Douglas, Scott Co, Great Crossing, Lloyd) or were heavy upperclassmen loaded. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, barrel said:

Don’t get me wrong they’ve got some good players. Looking at the KHSAA roster and it looks like well over half were freshmen and sophomores this past season. To say they have better players than most of the teams they played against this past year is a stretch.  Look at the schedule and either the teams were pretty loaded with talent (Douglas, Scott Co, Great Crossing, Lloyd) or were heavy upperclassmen loaded. 

Without a doubt! That’s what I meant. If this was on the administration, then shame on them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Grant county…very tough football job.  Athletics are not a priority…terrible facilities, low pay, no support) Big school with a very small population of athletes.  Lots of turnover the last 10-12 years (this will be maybe 5th coach? In recent years)

My favorite Grant County football story:  

When they opened to 2006 AAA playoffs at Covington Catholic, they came out for the opening coin toss, shook hands with the Colonel captains and told them to beat Highlands the following week.

The Braves have been nothing if not realists.

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...