Frederick Douglass 33 Covington Catholic 6

16thBBall Fan

A couple thoughts on the game:

1. The size and team speed for Douglass is very, very impressive. A lot of really good football players on their roster.

2. FD's talent is a Ferrari for Kentucky 5A. Having said that, I was unimpressed by the offensive scheme. A lot of unsound RPO's that ended up with an unblocked guy in the QB's face. A lot of times Cov Cath had a guy unblocked off the edge when they ran the ball. A lot of the RPO's were thrown to stationary targets, despite having very good athletes at receiver. It is not going to matter this year, but if they're in 6A moving forward, I think it may be a tough go against the Louisville schools that can compare athletically. There is no reason why this game should have been as close on the scoreboard for so long.

3. Shoutout to Aiden Jones. He played great tonight, has been a really good player for three years and we will miss him next year. Looking forward to following him at West Point.

4. A lot of (fair) talk on CCH's offensive scheme in the update thread...we could have had Bill Walsh calling plays tonight and it would not have mattered. FD was just significantly bigger and faster than us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

A couple thoughts on the game:

1. The size and team speed for Douglass is very, very impressive. A lot of really good football players on their roster.

2. FD's talent is a Ferrari for Kentucky 5A. Having said that, I was unimpressed by the offensive scheme. A lot of unsound RPO's that ended up with an unblocked guy in the QB's face. A lot of times Cov Cath had a guy unblocked off the edge when they ran the ball. A lot of the RPO's were thrown to stationary targets, despite having very good athletes at receiver. It is not going to matter this year, but if they're in 6A moving forward, I think it may be a tough go against the Louisville schools that can compare athletically. There is no reason why this game should have been as close on the scoreboard for so long.

3. Shoutout to Aiden Jones. He played great tonight, has been a really good player for three years and we will miss him next year. Looking forward to following him at West Point.

4. A lot of (fair) talk on CCH's offensive scheme in the update thread...we could have had Bill Walsh calling plays tonight and it would not have mattered. FD was just significantly bigger and faster than us.

#4 is a great post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Final from "The Farm". The Douglass defense was very good again tonight but the offense was sluggish at best. The did get some big plays but to keep advancing it is going to have to get better and still need to cut down on the penalties imo.

Credit to Cov Cath defense. I posted the numbers in the update thread. No KY team has scored more than 38 on Cov Cath in 7 years. 

• Like 2

Congrats FD. Looks like it’s your year.  

Also, congrats to the Cov Cath. Teeroy didn’t have you picked in the top 30 in KY and I think everyone was impressed by your performance this season. You fought through many injuries and setbacks and still had a great season!  This is one fan that was very impressed and proud to be a Colonel fan. Seniors, good luck to you.  You have given a lot of underclassmen a great foundation for future success. Hold your heads high!  

• Like 1