Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BluegrassPreps.com Class 5A Football Rankings (10/3)

Featured Replies

Class 5A

1. Frederick Douglass -- OPEN

2. Woodford County vs. Madison Southern 

3. Covington Catholic -- OPEN

4. Bowling Green -- OPEN

5. South Warren at 6A McCracken County

6. Southwestern at Whitley County

7. Owensboro -- OPEN

8. Pulaski County vs. North Laurel

9. Highlands vs. Boone County

10. Greenwood -- OPEN

  • Replies 49
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Father Ryan is 2-5 with losses to: MBA - Would beat EVERYONE in KY East Nashville -  Currently the #2 big school public school in Football rich TN BG, PJPII, and Knox Catholic, all top

  • OPEN is busy this week!

  • For what it is worth Woodford, CovCath, and BG were nearly tied in our poll.

OPEN is busy this week!

I really don't have any problem with these, as I know rankings are subjective and know BGP puts alot into theirs.  

But I will say that feel a little hesitancy to comply with feeling Woodford County is STILL #2 on this list.  I have nothing against Woodford or Coach Johnson, who has done a Great job building their program.  Their best win is against 4A Franklin County who is likely down for their recent standards.  Then who, maybe Campbell County who is 3-3 on the year.

CovCath should be #2 with wins over LexCath, Pikeville and Beechwood.  Yes they did lose to Elder, but no way Woodford beats Elder this year.

BG should be #3 based on wins over Father Ryan and South Warren.  Yes, they did lose to Boyle County, but no way Woodford beats Boyle County or stays inside 2 TDs this year.

I could give Woodford the nod at #4 with the rest of the list playing out after that.

Again, just a debatable topic, but at the end of the day the teams should earn these spots.  Just my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I really don't have any problem with these, as I know rankings are subjective and know BGP puts alot into theirs.  

But I will say that feel a little hesitancy to comply with feeling Woodford County is STILL #2 on this list.  I have nothing against Woodford or Coach Johnson, who has done a Great job building their program.  Their best win is against 4A Franklin County who is likely down for their recent standards.  Then who, maybe Campbell County who is 3-3 on the year.

CovCath should be #2 with wins over LexCath, Pikeville and Beechwood.  Yes they did lose to Elder, but no way Woodford beats Elder this year.

BG should be #3 based on wins over Father Ryan and South Warren.  Yes, they did lose to Boyle County, but no way Woodford beats Boyle County or stays inside 2 TDs this year.

I could give Woodford the nod at #4 with the rest of the list playing out after that.

Again, just a debatable topic, but at the end of the day the teams should earn these spots.  Just my opinion. 

For what it is worth Woodford, CovCath, and BG were nearly tied in our poll.

CovCath could have their hands full next week with Highlands. The Birds offense been scoring lots of points as of late.  Hopefully CCH can keep the win streak alive against them. What’s it been? 10 in a row over HHS.  Anything can happen in a rivalry game. 

35 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I really don't have any problem with these, as I know rankings are subjective and know BGP puts alot into theirs.  

But I will say that feel a little hesitancy to comply with feeling Woodford County is STILL #2 on this list.  I have nothing against Woodford or Coach Johnson, who has done a Great job building their program.  Their best win is against 4A Franklin County who is likely down for their recent standards.  Then who, maybe Campbell County who is 3-3 on the year.

CovCath should be #2 with wins over LexCath, Pikeville and Beechwood.  Yes they did lose to Elder, but no way Woodford beats Elder this year.

BG should be #3 based on wins over Father Ryan and South Warren.  Yes, they did lose to Boyle County, but no way Woodford beats Boyle County or stays inside 2 TDs this year.

I could give Woodford the nod at #4 with the rest of the list playing out after that.

Again, just a debatable topic, but at the end of the day the teams should earn these spots.  Just my opinion. 

I agree with your thought process. 

55 minutes ago, bluecolonels95 said:

CovCath could have their hands full next week with Highlands. The Birds offense been scoring lots of points as of late.  Hopefully CCH can keep the win streak alive against them. What’s it been? 10 in a row over HHS.  Anything can happen in a rivalry game. 

A win by CCH on 10/14 would be 10 in a row. 

Looks good, I’d move highlands to #6.

Until Owensboro plays Henderson, and hopefully gets back the players they've been without for a few weeks, I'd move them to 10.

2 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I really don't have any problem with these, as I know rankings are subjective and know BGP puts alot into theirs.  

But I will say that feel a little hesitancy to comply with feeling Woodford County is STILL #2 on this list.  I have nothing against Woodford or Coach Johnson, who has done a Great job building their program.  Their best win is against 4A Franklin County who is likely down for their recent standards.  Then who, maybe Campbell County who is 3-3 on the year.

CovCath should be #2 with wins over LexCath, Pikeville and Beechwood.  Yes they did lose to Elder, but no way Woodford beats Elder this year.

BG should be #3 based on wins over Father Ryan and South Warren.  Yes, they did lose to Boyle County, but no way Woodford beats Boyle County or stays inside 2 TDs this year.

I could give Woodford the nod at #4 with the rest of the list playing out after that.

Again, just a debatable topic, but at the end of the day the teams should earn these spots.  Just my opinion. 

I very much agree with everything said in this post, that would be the order I’d rank them in as well.

2 hours ago, Purple88 said:

But I will say that feel a little hesitancy to comply with feeling Woodford County is STILL #2 on this list.  I have nothing against Woodford or Coach Johnson, who has done a Great job building their program.  Their best win is against 4A Franklin County who is likely down for their recent standards.  Then who, maybe Campbell County who is 3-3 on the year.

Having seen Woodford County play, I will say they are very good at what they do. They are shifty in the backfield, have several kids capable of scoring every play, and the quarterback handles that offense extremely well. However, I'm not sure how comfortable they are throwing the ball, especially on downs forced by the opponent. If a postseason opponent jumps ahead by two scores early, can Woodford go to the air to make up ground? I'm not so sure.

In short, they remind me quite a bit of Alvis Johnson's teams at Harrodsburg that could beat almost anyone in the state every week, but came up short in the state finals against Pikeville and Beechwood because they couldn't execute exactly the way they wanted. That might end up being the case for Woodford County this season.

11 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Having seen Woodford County play, I will say they are very good at what they do. They are shifty in the backfield, have several kids capable of scoring every play, and the quarterback handles that offense extremely well. However, I'm not sure how comfortable they are throwing the ball, especially on downs forced by the opponent. If a postseason opponent jumps ahead by two scores early, can Woodford go to the air to make up ground? I'm not so sure.

In short, they remind me quite a bit of Alvis Johnson's teams at Harrodsburg that could beat almost anyone in the state every week, but came up short in the state finals against Pikeville and Beechwood because they couldn't execute exactly the way they wanted. That might end up being the case for Woodford County this season.

I think Woodford is similar to Frederick Douglass, a lot of talent but rough around the edges and that gets you beat in close games. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I think Woodford is similar to Frederick Douglass, a lot of talent but rough around the edges and that gets you beat in close games. 

True, although I do think Freddy is a little more multi-dimensional than Woodford.

2 hours ago, Purple88 said:

I really don't have any problem with these, as I know rankings are subjective and know BGP puts alot into theirs.  

But I will say that feel a little hesitancy to comply with feeling Woodford County is STILL #2 on this list.  I have nothing against Woodford or Coach Johnson, who has done a Great job building their program.  Their best win is against 4A Franklin County who is likely down for their recent standards.  Then who, maybe Campbell County who is 3-3 on the year.

CovCath should be #2 with wins over LexCath, Pikeville and Beechwood.  Yes they did lose to Elder, but no way Woodford beats Elder this year.

BG should be #3 based on wins over Father Ryan and South Warren.  Yes, they did lose to Boyle County, but no way Woodford beats Boyle County or stays inside 2 TDs this year.

I could give Woodford the nod at #4 with the rest of the list playing out after that.

Again, just a debatable topic, but at the end of the day the teams should earn these spots.  Just my opinion. 

I'll play the devil's advocate on this.  BG being ranked ahead of Woodford based on wins over 2-5 Father Ryan (TN) and 3-3 South Warren is nothing more than 'beauty in the eye of the beholder' stuff.  Not to mention they very easily could have lost both games.  Woodford has dominated their opponents so far even though they are perceived weaker opponents.  Lex Cath is Cov Caths best victory and it was by a single point.  I don't put much stock in good 5A schools beating good 1A schools.  I'm fine with Woodford at #2.  They have won 19 of their past 20 games with the only loss coming to last years state champion.

  • Author
3 hours ago, theguru said:

OPEN is busy this week!

Tough schedule too!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.