Moeller (OH) 2 Covington Catholic 0

This may have been my most surprising score of the weekend, especially on the heels of McNick beating the Colonels soundly in the game before.  I don't have any details as to how the flow of the game went, or how possession was (but I have to assume Moeller had a LOT of the ball), but at first glance, this is a very solid result for CovCath.

The Colonels are 6-8-0 on the season, and they now host a Dixie team on Tuesday coming off a lopsided loss to Frederick Douglass over the weekend.  CovCath's schedule has been Murderer's Row, Dixie's has been mashed potato soft, so will that make a difference in this game, or is Dixie out to prove that their loss to CovCath in last year's 9th Region Championship isn't good enough for them?  I expect a great game in Park Hills for this one, and frankly, a pretty good soccer crowd in attendance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This match was a disaster for the Colonels. In the first half Moeller had possession about 65% to 35% for CCH. The second half had Moeller in possession about 85%-90%. When Moeller possessed the ball, they passed and then passed and then passed again. They would switch fields, cross then take a shot on goal. The Colonels goalie was on fire allowing only 1 goal in each half. Not for a lack of shots on goal by Moeller) When he put the ball in play, Moeller won it. Every single time. If Cov Cath managed to intercept a poor pass, they might have taken a touch, on a rare occasion passed, but as has been noted on here before, they mostly kicked the ball into an empty attacking 1/3. The few times I have seen Cov Cath play this year, that seems to be the modus operandi when they're down. A good enough defense, (I believe they are down a couple of their starters) An underwhelming midfield and a front line that gets very little to no support.

One of the biggest things I noticed in this game was the disparity in the actions and attitudes of the respective coaching staffs.  Moellers' staff walked the sidelines like a shark. Talking to players, encouraging them for the most part, correcting when needed. The staff of the Colonels sat on the bench with the exception of the head coach. He seemed to yell most of the time and you could tell from the bleachers that as the game progressed, his coaching did not. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing, or if it is a one off. But you could tell it effected the players. What ever scheme they were playing (it was hard to tell from the lack of possession) quickly eroded as the "coaching" from the side line was translated into bickering amongst the players. Then it just got quiet.

From what you've said, Cov Cath has been living on murders row for a few weeks. Their rankings reflect that as they have only played 5 in region games and won 4 of them losing to Cooper in a close 2-1 game. I've seen Cov Cath play well, really well once this season. It looked as though Cov Cath had several players on the bench, but not dressed. (injuries?) If they can get their starters back into the game, and some on field leadership, I think it will put the wind back into their proverbial sails. Time will tell, and it is getting short.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1