Howell Rankings Countdown 2022

teeroy

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Absolutely a smaller roster requires more management.

But we are talking about winning one game. If Beechwood had scheduled Trinity instead of New Cath last year, could Beechwood have beaten Trinity? I say it is possible.

Anything is possible. 

8 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Over the years, I agree. We are only talking about 2021 and that sub-par Trinity team. St. X lost to DeSales and Bowling Green just 3 or 4 years ago. Male lost to Eastern a few years ago. 

Absolutely.

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Absolutely a smaller roster requires more management.

But we are talking about winning one game. If Beechwood had scheduled Trinity instead of New Cath last year, could Beechwood have beaten Trinity? I say it is possible.

Sure Beechwood would have had a shot in a "one off" game last year against Trinity but if Beechwood played a similar schedule as Trinity eventually they would be losing most of the games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

Sure Beechwood would have had a shot in a "one off" game last year against Trinity but if Beechwood played a similar schedule as Trinity eventually they would be losing most of the games.

No one in the state plays a schedule like Trinity, not even St. X and Male. But in 2021 Trinity beat Ballard 20-17. How does 2021 Beechwood compare to Ballard? Calpreps.com says Beechwood wins by two touchdowns.

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No one in the state plays a schedule like Trinity, not even St. X and Male. But in 2021 Trinity beat Ballard 20-17. How does 2021 Beechwood compare to Ballard? Calpreps.com says Beechwood wins by two touchdowns.

But that same Trinity team did turn around 5 weeks later and beat that same Ballard team 40-0 so there's that.  Does that mean that Trinity would have beaten Beechwood by 3-4 touchdowns 5 weeks later?  In most years, Beechwood wouldn't have a shot to beat Trinity, but last year in a 1 off game, it's possible, but wouldn't happen consistently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unrivaled97 said:

But that same Trinity team did turn around 5 weeks later and beat that same Ballard team 40-0 so there's that.  Does that mean that Trinity would have beaten Beechwood by 3-4 touchdowns 5 weeks later?  In most years, Beechwood wouldn't have a shot to beat Trinity, but last year in a 1 off game, it's possible, but wouldn't happen consistently.

I agree with all the above except there is virtually zero doubt in my mind on this - Trinity would not have scored 40 on Beechwood's defense last year. 

46 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I agree with all the above except there is virtually zero doubt in my mind on this - Trinity would not have scored 40 on Beechwood's defense last year. 

That's a fair point.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

6 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Depends on which Trinity team showed up, they were inconsistent last year. High highs and low lows (by their standards.)

6 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I just throw this out on this discussion of different classes. In 2019 Frederick Douglass finished 14-1 and lost by only 1 score 14-7 to a very, very good Cov. Cath. team that year they scrimmaged 6A Trinity at home and lost by a score of either 41 or 42 to 7 and it was not even close. That Trinity team did win the 6A title but did lose a regular season game to Male.

One other example in 2020 Douglass played LCA and running clocked them with LCA scoring on the final seconds of the game to make the final 40-6 Douglass. LCA went on and lost in the 2A State title game to Beechwood 24-23 in OT.

LCA Douglass would have been much closer last year, probably a coin flip. LCA beat Boyle on the road without their QB, and did you see what Boyle did to Douglass?

2020 was a blowout though, LCA had Burton, Crowdus etc. LCA 21 was better than 20.