Open Job: Ballard

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums (i.e. bet, over/under, spread, parlay, chips, line, odds). All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

My sense is Ballard is probably by consensus view the best job in the state.  Certainly towards the top if not #1.  By that standard Renner has perhaps underachieved, if even a little.  This year maybe is a microcosm:  I think most people would say, top to bottom, Ballard has more talent than Male, yet Male is 3-0 against them.  If all of that is true, it would argue against staying in-house.  You stay in-house and take a chance on a (presumably) unproven assistant if you’ve been wildly successful.  If not, would seem to argue for going outside…..

9 hours ago, Mojocat said:

My sense is Ballard is probably by consensus view the best job in the state.  Certainly towards the top if not #1.  By that standard Renner has perhaps underachieved, if even a little.  This year maybe is a microcosm:  I think most people would say, top to bottom, Ballard has more talent than Male, yet Male is 3-0 against them.  If all of that is true, it would argue against staying in-house.  You stay in-house and take a chance on a (presumably) unproven assistant if you’ve been wildly successful.  If not, would seem to argue for going outside…..

It's all about players. Does Ballard have a good group returning? If they relate to a current staff member, keep it in house.

21 minutes ago, 9068 said:

It's all about players. Does Ballard have a good group returning? If they relate to a current staff member, keep it in house.

It would be impossible for me to disagree with this sentiment any stronger than I do.  That is so incredibly short-sighted by the AD / Principal / Board, think bigger and long-term, make the best decision on those factors, and then trust that person you hire to be able to generate support and buy-in from the current student athletes who are returning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LethalPG said:

It looked like to me from outside/in view Renner was delegating a lot to assistant this season.  I watched the finals with Male, and the assistant had the whiteboard multiple times during TOs throughout the game.

He has actually done that the last few years, I've seen him actually let the bench coaches pretty much run the for the first half 3/4 years ago.  Not all the time, but in a couple of games.

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

It would be impossible for me to disagree with this sentiment any stronger than I do.  That is so incredibly short-sighted by the AD / Principal / Board, think bigger and long-term, make the best decision on those factors, and then trust that person you hire to be able to generate support and buy-in from the current student athletes who are returning.

Agreed. 

In general, I think most "in-house" hires are lazy, at best. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mojocat said:

Male had Kaleb Glynn.  Ballard had no answer for him.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mojocat said:

No question he had a great career but with the talent he has had you have to wonder if he should have won more titles?